PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Is Martin programming the new version, or are you working together somehow?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Seems like Martin got busy with his dayjob, we didn't hear back from him in some time now.

Absolutely loving this synth. Espen Kraft put me onto it via his YouTube channel. I'm not sure if there's a better vst for authentic 80's pads.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

EvilDragon and Muki, thank you for your input. I was able to do research and found a way to successfully install both Surge and PG8X without difficulty. After I did the procedure I ended up finding, I placed the PG8X.vst in the default VST directory (not a custom one), fired up Ableton Live 11, and it found both Surge and PG8X automatically.

The way I did it was to follow the procedures I found listed below:

Open Terminal.
Disable Gatekeeper: type in sudo spctl --master-disable
Enter your password when prompted. (You must be an admin user on the computer.)
Go to System Preferences → Security and Privacy → General → Allow apps downloaded from.
Select ‘Anywhere’.
Install and run the plugin you wish to install. (You may need to restart the computer before.)
Re-enable Gatekeeper:sudo spctl --master-enable
Again, enter your password if prompted.

So to anyone reading who was having the problem I was having, the answer to installing PG8X on Mac Catalina (and likely Big Sur) is to follow the instructions above.
Obviously, if you do the procedure I outlined above for any software, be sure you trust the developer. The reason that Catalina and Big Sur have security that prevents you from automatically being able to do this is because it wants to prevent end users for getting malware installed. PG8X does NOT contain malware, so you are safe on this one; just be sure to do due diligence before trusting just any program you find out there where you have to do this procedure.
Last edited by Digicoma on Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

:clap:

The interface and sound of this plugin is absolutely beautiful. Is it possible to use this plugin as a kind of PG800 programmer for a JX10 or JX8p? I've tried it, but cannot get it to work. I have a JX10 without the programmer and programming it using the alpha dial is doable but laborious. My JX10 has that ROM upgrade that allows sysex etc.
Cheers.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

AFAIK no, currently you cannot use it as a programmer for actual hardware.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 am AFAIK no, currently you cannot use it as a programmer for actual hardware.
Oh well, the dream is over :)
Cheers.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

EvilDragon wrote: AFAIK no, currently you cannot use it as a programmer for actual hardware.
Yes you can.

Under MIDI OPTIONS, (press MIDI button in the lower right corner), set SEND SYSEX to on.

Match hardware/plugin MIDI channels,...presto.

Just make sure your host doesnt filter the sysex messages.

Ohhh. Completely missed that. :D

What a great sounding synth ! The low end is gorgeous !

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:17 am Also you can set up a default preset in most DAWs, after you load your wanted startup bank...
I just tried that and it doesn't work with Live 11. Will try the ini route

markus.schloesser wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:45 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:17 am Also you can set up a default preset in most DAWs, after you load your wanted startup bank...
In Ableton Live you can create an Instrument Rack with the PG-8X in it and save that as a preset (.adg).

I have mine set up with the bank that I like loaded and the global gain set to +6dB. I could never get the .ini thing to work but the Instrument Rack works just fine.

junity wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:25 am
markus.schloesser wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:45 pm
In Ableton Live you can create an Instrument Rack with the PG-8X in it and save that as a preset (.adg).

I have mine set up with the bank that I like loaded and the global gain set to +6dB. I could never get the .ini thing to work but the Instrument Rack works just fine.
Thanks! Unfortunately I cannot use that. I am utilizing my Mackie C4 with a self written remote script, which can currently not access grouped devices (or only its macro knobs), which it would be become once it's inside a rack.

Just curious - if this is going open source, how hard would it be for someone with a Reason rack extension SDK to get this into RE form?

Return to “Instruments”