Limiters Test - Velo 2 vs L2. Someone hearing the difference?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have just bought L2 and was making some comparison. I won't tell you which is playing, neither when there's the switch, but I've prepared a short loop with the both of them, approximately same settings and matched by loudness.
Which one do you think is L2 and which one Velo2?
https://sndup.net/2v2r

2 things:
1. Each limiter has a natural "spirit" in its design that may or may not suit any type of material. So IMO depending on the material you are going to get a more or less agreeable sound out of any limiter. A skilled operator is required to configure things correctly and make good choices.

2. With the type of music you are doing here we can't tell what harshness was already in the samples you chose, since often the samples themselves are already aggressively clipped and distorted. A general purpose limiter like L2 may not be expecting to treat content that's already clipped, when something like Velo2 may have been designed with that in mind.

I don't use either of these specif models of limiters, and when I use Waves L and Velo I would not have used them like this, so I have nothing to go by to try to spot either with this example. I'll say that the thing you posted sounds nasty distorted, and the second part of it sounds more nasty distorted.

Well, that's the type of music. Or at least how I'm capable of doing it, and that can mean that I suck at doing that. However, I've done some a/b with some commercial hits and I can't figure out that mine are way more nasty.And again, that could be me.
However, thanks for the input and the feedback. Let's see what others think.

I can't really tell. If anything my guess would be switching every measure, velo/l2/velo/l2 etc. I think it's just me trying to hear something.

To me the kick sounds more ”punchy” in the first part.

Anyway I’m not using L2, I’ve much better limiters for my tastes.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Okay well Velo2 is the first, in the middle as the song repeats, enter L2.

This was a timely topic , as am just testing out Velo 2 , against Elevate, and Barricade 4 , Ozone 9 Maximizer and the Wall from Boz.

I've gotta say , i'm gettin some very nice results with it.
Suprsingly good results !

And like jochicago said : Each limiter has a natural "spirit"

...and Velo 2 does things (sounds in ways) the other ones don't.

Very happy to have it in the toolbox.

(Btw, got their plug NEVO as well ,exxelent clipper and finally resizable GUI!)

Limiters, why would anyone ever use them? I have NEVER used them in any serious project. They are only for making things extremely loud and to squash the dynamics (which i dont understand why someone want to do that). I do have a couple of limiters in my plugin folder but i never use them, ever. Is it just me?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:24 am Limiters, why would anyone ever use them? I have NEVER used them in any serious project. They are only for making things extremely loud and to squash the dynamics (which i dont understand why someone want to do that). I do have a couple of limiters in my plugin folder but i never use them, ever. Is it just me?
Well, a limiter is nothing more thank a very-fast-
attack-10+:1-ratio comp, so I guess you use limiters, indeed. Anyway, if you want to stop peaks, you have to use limiters. Squashing dynamics is also required in many EDM genre where unfortunately loudness war is still strong af.

sokoleski wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:19 pm This was a timely topic , as am just testing out Velo 2 , against Elevate, and Barricade 4 , Ozone 9 Maximizer and the Wall from Boz.

I've gotta say , i'm gettin some very nice results with it.
Suprsingly good results !

And like jochicago said : Each limiter has a natural "spirit"

...and Velo 2 does things (sounds in ways) the other ones don't.

Very happy to have it in the toolbox.

(Btw, got their plug NEVO as well ,exxelent clipper and finally resizable GUI!)
Yes, velo2 is indeed good. In my usage, as before, is comparable to L2, which is the industry standard, but 80x pricey.
Beware of nevo, It does sound cool but adds some weird stereo trash.

ciochi wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:24 am Limiters, why would anyone ever use them? I have NEVER used them in any serious project. They are only for making things extremely loud and to squash the dynamics (which i dont understand why someone want to do that). I do have a couple of limiters in my plugin folder but i never use them, ever. Is it just me?
Well, a limiter is nothing more thank a very-fast-
attack-10+:1-ratio comp, so I guess you use limiters, indeed. Anyway, if you want to stop peaks, you have to use limiters. Squashing dynamics is also required in many EDM genre where unfortunately loudness war is still strong af.
Yes true.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Would I be snobby to say I wouldn't bother with these, especially L2. "But it's been used in pro radio music for 25 years" - technology has come a long way and Limitless/Pro-L2 spank it :D

You never get your projects mastered? Classical music? For the music I listen to I would venture to guess 99.999% is going through a limiter at some point. I personally love the moment I put a limiter on the master bus and it starts to sound like a record. Thankfully we don't have to push them as much anymore, which helps a lot. I love a good limiter shootout too, I just can't tell a difference here, especially on this track.

Kang wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:39 am
You never get your projects mastered? Classical music? For the music I listen to I would venture to guess 99.999% is going through a limiter at some point. I personally love the moment I put a limiter on the master bus and it starts to sound like a record. Thankfully we don't have to push them as much anymore, which helps a lot. I love a good limiter shootout too, I just can't tell a difference here, especially on this track.
No never released my music on labels before, so no mastering. I do sometimes use clippers though.

I guess the first part is the cheap limiter, the second part is L2. But its really hard to tell with this kind of overprocessed, overcompressed EDM type of 'music', because you cannot easily differentiate the bad artefacts of the overprocessed mix from the artefacts of the limiting. Fair enough if this is your type of music, but for the purpose of a shootout you should use a track that is not overprocessed.

Return to “Effects”