2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:05 pm My ridiculous 1998 studio is coming together!
I love it. Sometimes I regret selling my 8bus Foxtex board. It was big, it was noisy, it had irritating crosstalk between some of the channels, but I enjoyed using it. I don't have the space any more for any of that. One thing that I've noticed though is that big old analog mixers have become dirt cheap. I made money when I sold my board, I couldn't if I sold it today.

Unlike analog synths though, I don't think that the prices are coming back on those.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hah, well this mixer was being offered for free because the owner thought that the mix outs weren't working. When I found that it was just a config issue, I gave them some money but not a lot.

The mixer is in great condition and it will be worth more in fun than it's worth in currency. ;)
But you never know, lots of folks getting into DAWless jamming these days. Can't be long before DAWless recording becomes a fad! :hihi:

I've had one of the HD24s since it was new and the other was donated by an ex-Alesis employee whom I used to work with.

I'm gonna sell the JDK rack mixer. That thing is probably worth more than all of the rest of the gear in this picture, combined. :lol:

i used to love live mixing stuff on the old desk at work. 3 or 4 of us riding faders and pots as the tapes played 8)

we had computers as well, which were used more often, but no where near as much fun!

Just ordered Strega. The Perfect Circuit video was hilarious, but insightful.

I’ll order the other two once they’re back in stock there.

justin3am wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:09 pm I'm gonna sell the JDK rack mixer. That thing is probably worth more than all of the rest of the gear in this picture, combined. :lol:
Reminds me of a rack mount broadcast monitor that I picked NOS out of the trash at a swap meet. Even though the monitor was expensive new, they only go for about $150 these days. It sounds remarkably good for speakers in a steel 1U enclosure. It even has a sub.

Oh, it's just time for all of my hardware to find a new home.

Bought a Micromonsta2, but haven't hooked it up yet... I have too much I haven't even hooked up...just GAS.
Looking at microfreak, Kawai synths, prior versions of electribes.

gaf_thit wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:10 am Bought a Micromonsta2, but haven't hooked it up yet... I have too much I haven't even hooked up...just GAS.
Too many cables is why I really cut my hardware down.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:18 am
gaf_thit wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:10 am Bought a Micromonsta2, but haven't hooked it up yet... I have too much I haven't even hooked up...just GAS.
Moving to another house and lack of time, is my reason. Bought a Novation SL mk3, to go with my Linnstrument, to focus more on VSTs again...so practical and spacesaving. Power on and go from wherever.
Considering Komplete upgrade or Falcon...hmmm

gaf_thit wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:44 am
Moving to another house and lack of time, is my reason. Bought a Novation SL mk3, to go with my Linnstrument, to focus more on VSTs again...so practical and spacesaving. Power on and go from wherever.
I'm skipping 13. I want the new GR, but it can wait.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:51 am
More or less my conclusion too.

I was close to getting an upgrade to Komplete 13 (on 11 now), but there wasn't enough value for the upgrade price and I'd already updated Kontakt to v6.
I really hope they redo the Kontakt UI as zoomable at some point, it's pretty unusable on my 4k monitor for most things.

Back to hardware, I'm just about to move my setup onto a new bigger desk etc so I think some new hardware needs will come out of that. I'm desperately hoping I can rejig everything without needing longer leads so any expense will be on fun stuff rather than the humdrum.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

gaf_thit wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:31 am
Same here...

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:57 pm
gaf_thit wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:31 am
Same here...
And another one here too. Same. I only want the new GR. I'll probably upgrade separately at some point.

While I wait for Strega and wait for stock to open up with 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl

What are you guys using for patch cables?

I see that the hardware brands are also selling their own cables, but I’m curious if there’s actually a quality difference or if this is just a brand loyalty cash grab

elxsound wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:06 pm While I wait for Strega and wait for stock to open up with 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl

What are you guys using for patch cables?

I see that the hardware brands are also selling their own cables, but I’m curious if there’s actually a quality difference or if this is just a brand loyalty cash grab
Depending on you, there is some usability variance across cables. That said, I buy cheapos.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”