Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 pm Out of personal interest: Do you do music which relies a lot on such sounds?
Ya. I'm not prolific, as I tend not to finish things. Here is the track I did for an OSC with only Zebra 2 (Warning--turn down volume):

https://soundcloud.com/fritz-e-18766441 ... on-the-res

It's poorly mixed (still learning), but I love some of the sounds I created, and I had a lot of fun with that song.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

noice. My opinion is Zebra seems to be a synthesists synthesizer for real knob twiddlers and I mean that in a good way
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:58 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:35 pm Well, my point is, making a synth complex enough to get pretty much any job done is not a disadvantage over having a dozen separate synths which let one quickly do this or that.
It most certainly can be. It depends on how one thinks about instruments and sounds. Should one program the snare you need or find the sample? Well that depends. If it will take you an hour to program but five minutes to find the sample that works then, clearly, the more complex approach will put you at a disadvantage.

That is the point. The opportunity cost of learning a synth with a complex synth is non-negligible.
It might have taken me an hour when I am just starting out to learn synthesis.Eventually, creating my own sounds ended up faster and more flexible than hunting for samples.

By your logic, why bother ever learning to play a physical instrument. Today you can find some Kontakt library that will give some decent result. The thing is, by actually learning and stretching ones capabilities, new doors open up that would not have otherwise.

When I have a specific sound in mind, Zebra is consistently one of the fastest tools to get there. Fast enough to feel fluid and capable enough not to regularly run into dead ends and have to start over with a different tool.

melomood wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 pm noice. My opinion is Zebra seems to be a synthesists synthesizer for real knob twiddlers and I mean that in a good way
Is there a bad way? :)

not really

melomood wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:22 am not really
:)

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:31 amEveryone has this perspective and different aspects of different products will align or not with how people like to work. "Zebra is consistently one of the fastest tools to get there" for you. "Reaktor is consistently one of the fastest tools to get there" for me.
Exactly... which shows that simple synths aren't necessarily faster.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:31 amI got very familiar with the K2K, it was still very slow to program.
That is because it is a complex hardware synth with a terrible user interface.

VST synths are not comparable. They basically all use the same interface (screen and mouse). Even the less efficient VST GUI's are magnitudes better than the K2K. In comparison to the K2K, there is not that much difference between VST's. They are all pretty fast and efficient these days. We all tend to argue over minutia in that regard.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:04 pm Also, I just want to remind everyone that the thread title is asking for our "opinions on Zebra."
Does that mean we must not have have an opinion on those opinions? Because in my opinion it is always valid to point out contradictions in someone else’s arguments. And sure sometimes people don’t get the context and get all worked up on whatever, but that’s just how it is, often.

That said, my opinion of an opinion that you opined on does have context spanning over more than two posts and I promise I will try to be more specific about context in future so people can easier see what I mean before voicing their opinions, if time permits. But sometimes it doesn’t, and sometimes things can’t be left unsaid, and here we are.

keep talking like that and I'm going to turn in to a fanboy

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”