Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:34 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 am So betting that something is true is an insinuation that it's fake. Hmmm... not on my planet, Urs. ;)
Betting on something being true implies the possibility that it isn't :wink:

Shall we analyse the sentence again?

It's a nice marketing story, and, I'm sure it's even true.

So, it's a marketing story in the first place. That makes its factuality a coincidence. You could as well have said "They came up with a marketing thing, but in the end Hans somehow really ended up using it". It's a reversal of causality, effectively negating the truth behind our "marketing story". However, it was never a "marketing story". It happened, and later on we were able to strike a deal that worked in our favour.
Well... ;) If it wasn't a marketing thing, you wouldn't be mentioning Hans Zimmer at all. Of course you want to emphasize that Hans Zimmer did 99% of the Dark Knight soundtrack with Zebra. And, that's fair enough. Some people need that, that's why everyone does it, if possible.

Not sure why we even have to discuss it. It doesn't matter if it's coincidence or not. At the moment you state that he uses it, and that his soundtrack was made with it, and, at the latest, if a whole synth (The Dark Zebra) is built around it, there's marketing. It's just stating facts. You act as if it was an insult, and I really don't know why.

And, no, my "even" didn't imply that Zebra is bad. I don't think Zebra is bad. Again, there's defensiveness from your side which has no base in what I said. If anything, I agreed with recursive one, that Zebra (which I didn't even talked about... I mentioned Dune) might not be the no.1 choice for supersaw sounds. I doubt that you had those in mind when you created it anyway.

And, of course, that doesn't mean that noone would use it for that purpose. I just mean that I wouldn't use it for such purposes. And, that all synths which I tried in my life, soft synths or the Blofeld and Jupiter which I also played, are mostly good for some sounds, and lack for others. That's why I have 20 soft synths in my folder, not just a single one.

I know, that's just because I'm so inexperienced that I never learned one inside out. :P

I'm not discussing anything here. I'm not discussing ghettosynth's opinion that Zebra is convoluted for instance, because as little as I like that opinion, it is his to have. I'm also not discussing people who dislike Zebra for whatever reason, it's what they may do, and it's easy fro me to live with.

I'm also not discussing what you said or didn't say, but my opinion is that you contradict yourself and in my opinion you ride that passive aggressive wave where people think that wrapping criticism in well meaning words shields them from being criticised back. There's nothing defensive about it, I'm just really tired and annoyed by people doing that. It's one of those patterns where I already know who's gonna join a thread and what they'll say. Sometimes in the office we have bets who of the regular critics will pop up next and what point - that they have made a 100 times already - they will reiterate, as if every thread needs to be christened by them with their personal eau de dislike, otherwise it's a missed opportunity to leave their mark.

(and of course I'm only generally speaking, just voicing my opinion on some people's style and habits)

In my opinion zebra beats all other semi modular synths in my arsenal !
And I'm after trying loads >> phaseplant. > uvi falcon > synthmaster !! Bring on zebra 3

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:29 pm
DJErmac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm This gave me an idea. I still think Zebra2 sounds outdated in my own personal tastes, and I’d love to hear examples of artists who used it with jawdropping results, and I mean : not in the opinion of a couple of users, no, with commercial success.

Can anybody please name songs -with commercial success only- that are using Zebra2 please? So far I’ve always listened to amateur songs that never convinced me in any way that the synth can produce amazing sounds (OK I’ve not heard them all but that’s not the point).

Some of you may have identified a preset, somebody claiming he’s using Zebra2, who knows ?... For example Avicii was a notable user of Nexus, Martin Garrix has been seen on stage using a cr@cked version of Sylenth1...

I’d really, really love to see that I was wrong and that there is a way to use this synth with flawless and modern sounding results. I own a licence after all.

PS : Hive2 sounds plain perfect to me. Rich, full sound, true modernity. Zebra2 ? Nooot.
I am sure Urs can namedrop some major names in the industry that use zebra , but ( rightfully ) choose not too .
Who cares anyway what those generic trance producers use :lol:
Well... do you hear a lot of synth usage in folk music ?... :shrug:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm Well... do you hear a lot of synth usage in folk music ?... :shrug:
I could name drop some very popular folk music people who bought our stuff :clown:

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:11 pm
DJErmac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm Well... do you hear a lot of synth usage in folk music ?... :shrug:
I could name drop some very popular folk music people who bought our stuff :clown:
And you can hear Zebra2 in action in their songs ? OK, drop the names ! :tu:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:11 pm very popular folk music...
no such thing :hihi:

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 pm Sometimes in the office we have bets who of the regular critics will pop up next and what point - that they have made a 100 times already
Ah, that's what you are doing in the office. Now I see why Zebra3 development takes so long :troll:

Sorry, just a joke. Couldn't resist. :)

On the other hand, I often see allegations that people who don't like Zebra, aren't inspired by the sound, think it's too complicated, think it doens't fit their preferred genres of worklow habits etc, are just too dumb to master it or have wrong tastes in synths or music. Which probably gives rise to some kind of counter-reaction.

Idk, somehow Zebra-related discussions over here tend to be more heated than any other synth talks
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:27 pm

On the other hand, I often see allegations that people who don't like*any synth* aren't inspired by the sound, think it's too complicated, think it doens't fit their preferred genres of worklow habits etc, are just too dumb to master it or have wrong tastes in synths or music.
too dumb? OK :roll:

wrong taste in music? you're a class act :clown:

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are other elec music genres out there besides trance , maybe you should try to expand your horizon .
If you really think zebra is not capable of deliving trance sounds just because your idols don't use it , the problem is you and your narrow mindset and programming skills , not zebra's .
And to answer your question , yep zebra could easily fit into a folk, the comb module can deliver some convincing acoustic sounds.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

recursive one wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:27 pm On the other hand, I often see allegations that people who don't like Zebra, aren't inspired by the sound, think it's too complicated, think it doens't fit their preferred genres of worklow habits etc, are just too dumb to master it or have wrong tastes in synths or music.
Okay, here's an example, it didn't take long :clap:
gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:41 pm If you really think zebra is not capable of deliving trance sounds just because your idols don't use it , the problem is you and your narrow mindset and programming skills , not zebra's .
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

DJErmac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:16 pmOK, drop the names ! :tu:
Nah... won't. We only ever reveal customer names when they do so first. E.g. when Jean-Michel Jarre put a Diva screenshot on an album cover we thought it was okay to tweet that. But as none of our staff seem to be actively following folk musicians, I guess there's little chance we'll see anything like that.

(sometimes we see famous people with our stuff that we can't pin to a particular user account, so we assume that they buy stuff incognito / have their assistants buy it, for a reason, and that reason is probably to not be bothered, and so we don't)

Zebra 2 was the software instrument that made me get in to VST's (from pretty much exclusively hardware). The fact that it is still one of the very best VST's available after all this time says it all really.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

recursive one wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:48 pmOn the other hand, I often see allegations that people who don't like Zebra, aren't inspired by the sound, think it's too complicated, think it doens't fit their preferred genres of worklow habits etc, are just too dumb to master it or have wrong tastes in synths or music.
Hehehe, you make it sound as if that was a bad thing. But I'm sure I've read from people who weren't "inspired" by Zebra a few dozen times, likewise any of the other points. Sure, people rarely describe themselves as "too dumb", but I'm sure I've even experienced that. Some people do sound a tad ignorant though, the way they brush a well thought out design off as "too complicated".

Return to “Instruments”