Any love for Dmitry Sches Thorn?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

nusound mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am Good to see others are digging Thorn too. Diversion was the first soft synth I got where the sound really blew me away. I'm also in the minority I guess in that it's probably my favorite gui of any synth, if only you could resize it (and the cpu hunger wasn't so intense) it'd be perfect.

That said if I needed one for bass duty I'd probably reach for Thorn first over Diversion.
I like the GUI too, but it really only works on a 1080p screen. It looks so tiny at 4k, it's borderline unusable.

fanodu1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 pm
nusound mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am Good to see others are digging Thorn too. Diversion was the first soft synth I got where the sound really blew me away. I'm also in the minority I guess in that it's probably my favorite gui of any synth, if only you could resize it (and the cpu hunger wasn't so intense) it'd be perfect.

That said if I needed one for bass duty I'd probably reach for Thorn first over Diversion.
I like the GUI too, but it really only works on a 1080p screen. It looks so tiny at 4k, it's borderline unusable.
Even the "Giant" setting?

nusound mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am I like the GUI too, but it really only works on a 1080p screen. It looks so tiny at 4k, it's borderline unusable.
Here is the "Giant" setting on my 1080p monitor, this should look sufficiently good on 4K:
thorn.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ferez21 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:29 pm
fanodu1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 pm

Even the "Giant" setting?
I was talking about Diversion. It could really use a GUI update. : :neutral:

Sorry to necro this thread but all this talk of a Diversion II has my heart in quivers. Oh yeah, Thorn is great, too.

Update: As of today, Thorn is my new go-to synth.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Has anybody noticed, that it is not possible to pitch modulate octave parameters without steppy artefacts (+sort of a zipper noise). Just set mod amount to 100 and the sound will fall apart (try a sine wave)

I tried modulating osc octave, semitone and pitch. All seem to work as expected here. ‘Osc octave’ and ‘osc semitone’ are steppy and clicky, and modulating ‘osc pitch’ is smooth.

For me it is one of the best sounding and easy to use plugins. (Using CM version). It has a place in all of my projects. Amazing and underrated.
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

Thorn is bonkers good! Such lovely mystical ethereal sounds coming out of this things spectral filters -- gorgeous.

I'll be having a birthday sale on my thorn bundle with 5 banks and 800+ presets here in a bit for 40-50 bucks soon. Keep a look out :)

https://www.touch-the-universe.com/dmit ... -main.html
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Satch1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:25 am I tried modulating osc octave, semitone and pitch. All seem to work as expected here. ‘Osc octave’ and ‘osc semitone’ are steppy and clicky, and modulating ‘osc pitch’ is smooth.
Thank you Satch. I didn't realize, that the pitch target was accessible only from the mod matrix.

Now that i found it and tried to make a kick, I also found that the attack is not really stable (phase reset set to gate). I made a 4/4 midi clip with a sine kick and some kick hits sounded slightly glitchy and unstable. Weird. I don't know, maybe it is so due to additive nature of the synth. For instance, Vital sounds clean as possible with the same settings.

Igro wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:57 am
Satch1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:25 am I tried modulating osc octave, semitone and pitch. All seem to work as expected here. ‘Osc octave’ and ‘osc semitone’ are steppy and clicky, and modulating ‘osc pitch’ is smooth.

Thank you Satch. I didn't realize, that the pitch target was accessible only from the mod matrix.

Now that i found it and tried to make a kick, I also found that the attack is not really stable (phase reset set to gate). I made a 4/4 midi clip with a sine kick and some kick hits sounded slightly glitchy and unstable. Weird. I don't know, maybe it is so due to additive nature of the synth. For instance, Vital sounds clean as possible with the same settings.
You’re welcome. Not really sure what’s causing the inconsistent attack. Maybe it’s built in for a more analogue feel. Hopefully not though. I’m interested to check it out next chance I get, see if there’s a way to have a consistent transient.

Just had a quick go at a sine kick and it sounded consistent to me. Osc gate reset, envelopes with zero attack, pitch env with short decay and positive pitch mod to taste.

Satch1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:49 pm Just had a quick go at a sine kick and it sounded consistent to me. Osc gate reset, envelopes with zero attack, pitch env with short decay and positive pitch mod to taste.
Exactly my settings. It doesn't occur all the time, just every 6-7 hit. It might not be audible on speakers, but only with headphones. But that's ok, as Thorn is used usually for other tasks.

I was listening on headphones too. Let it play a few bars without noticing it. Maybe it’ll happen next time I try it. Thorn is pretty good for kicks I think though. Nice envelopes and wide range on the pitch mod if wanted. Sounds good.

I think it sounds great, I picked it up for $19ish I think, but haven't found a lot of use for it yet. It is pretty easy and fun to program though.

Return to “Instruments”