2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:33 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:27 pm
justin3am wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 pm Sounds nice! Do the tubes get hot? The sound resembles the pentode tube module I have in Color format.
Well it's still in the mail actually, I will let you know. I expect they do, interestingly the tubes have
there own dedicated psu, rather than being powered by the rig, which is what the metasonix stuff
does I think.
That's pretty much necessary for the filament current draw. Also, if they are running the plates at a proper high voltage, then all of that is going to add up to something a bit more hefty than what you can get from a typical eurorack supply.
The dev did say as much, he's a guitar amp guy, these tubes are from his collection. That's why the
number of units is limited to 80. They are probably 40-50 yrs old.

pekbro wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 pm
justin3am wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 pm Sounds nice! Do the tubes get hot? The sound resembles the pentode tube module I have in Color format.
Well it's still in the mail actually, I will let you know. I expect they do, interestingly the tubes have
there own dedicated psu, rather than being powered by the rig, which is what the metasonix stuff
does I think.
That's pretty much necessary for the filament current draw. Also, if they are running the plates at a proper high voltage, then all of that is going to add up to something a bit more hefty than what you can get from a typical eurorack supply.
The dev did say as much, he's a guitar amp guy, these tubes are from his collection. That's why the
Ok, yeah, then they're going to get hot. Cool.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:01 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 pm
does I think.
Ok, yeah, then they're going to get hot. Cool.
These are industrial grade as well, e.g. heavy duty, hence the metal casing I guess. I have all
my eurorack up on the wall so it doesn't take up any usable space so any heat is not an issue.
That's one thing I love about modular. My Pro 3 for instance is fricken huge in terms of space,
and it's a pretty small synth. :shrug:

The tubes on my Effectrode phaser run at 300v and they get very hot. I burn myself on it constantly. But it sounds really nice.

I love tube circuits. There are a huge range of different tones based on a bunch of stuff I don't really understand and I love that. I'm purposely trying not to read all the technical stuff, so I can just explore naively for a while. I find that even starved tubes have their uses/abuses. I'm getting back into re-amping stuff a lot and just can't help but run synths through my Mesa-Boogie Rectoverb with the original signal in parallel! :phones:

But more than that, I put together a little 5-watt amp from a kit I got on Amazon, with a tiny speaker, a 1/8" jack and attenuator. I can plug practically any output of my modular or whatever into it, and mic it up. The original Koma Field kit inspired me (I love it's tiny speaker too) and I'd really like to put my tiny combo amp into a 1590 enclosure so I can use it more easily. I love micing that thing with my RE-15, through a 1073 pre, OMG. My favorite feedback loop involves that signal chain.
Sorry for the tangent, I've just reignited a passion for tubes and speakers and mics over the last year or two. :love:

pekbro wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 pm These are industrial grade as well, e.g. heavy duty, hence the metal casing I guess. I have all
my eurorack up on the wall so it doesn't take up any usable space so any heat is not an issue.
That's one thing I love about modular. My Pro 3 for instance is fricken huge in terms of space,
and it's a pretty small synth. :shrug:
Metal tubes were invented in the early 30s for domestic radio applications, in part, to reduce hum. They were widely used in WWII owing to their enhanced durability. I've got a bunch of them in my junkbox but I'm not really doing much with tubes anymore.

http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-017.htm

http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-018.htm

^cool thanks.

Strega countdown, down to 2 days left!

Meanwhile, I went with the Make Noise cables for starters. Prices for a comparable number of cables were just slightly higher elsewhere, so I figure starting with these wouldn't be so bad until I have my own preference.

I do see that next, I need to either buy stackable cables or buy the multi splitter adaptors because the videos I've seen of Strega in the wild, have made good use of them.

Oh, and this micro thing... I'm excited to use this midi controller. The manual looks simple, but usually, somewhere in the process of learning something new (especially with deep menu diving), there's a headache hiding around the corner. Still... I'm excited!

Couldn't resist this at the current price. Multitrack USB at last! Been wanting a desk like this for years :wheee:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/ ... ng-console

@thecontrolcentre, that's crazy! How is it $2699 here? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-mixer

Its the same one right?

Either way, too big for my current space (and I don't have that deal here), but damn that's a significant price differential!

Yeah, its the same mixer. I have no idea why so cheap, other than maybe guitarguitar are wanting rid of them before a VST3 version arrives(?). They only have 3 left at that price, so I'm pleased Rob put me onto the offer. :)

elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:46 pmMeanwhile, I went with the Make Noise cables for starters. Prices for a comparable number of cables were just slightly higher elsewhere, so I figure starting with these wouldn't be so bad until I have my own preference.

I do see that next, I need to either buy stackable cables or buy the multi splitter adaptors because the videos I've seen of Strega in the wild, have made good use of them.

The included cables are the same as Ad Infinitum cables: http://adinfinitummusic.com/Cable-Combo ... -Kits.html

I used to get the same cables from All Electronics; $1 for 24" black patch cables. But now they carry a cable with a different connector...

I would have only stack cables, if I could bring myself of pay the price. I bought a few at full retail when they first came out (and they used smaller gauge wire) but now, I only get them when they are bundled with something else. I have a fair amount of the, and I really love the feel of them(though the newer ones feel a bit stiff) and the connection feels surprisingly sturdy, depending on the type of jack used on the module.

I also like these. https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Splitt ... 97&sr=8-14
I hate having mults in my case.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

justin3am wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:15 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:46 pmMeanwhile, I went with the Make Noise cables for starters. Prices for a comparable number of cables were just slightly higher elsewhere, so I figure starting with these wouldn't be so bad until I have my own preference.

The included cables are the same as Ad Infinitum cables: http://adinfinitummusic.com/Cable-Combo ... -Kits.html

I used to get the same cables from All Electronics; $1 for 24" black patch cables. But now they carry a cable with a different connector...

I would have only stack cables, if I could bring myself of pay the price. I bought a few at full retail when they first came out (and they used smaller gauge wire) but now, I only get them when they are bundled with something else. I have a fair amount of the, and I really love the feel of them(though the newer ones feel a bit stiff) and the connection feels surprisingly sturdy, depending on the type of jack used on the module.

I also like these. https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Splitt ... 97&sr=8-14
I hate having mults in my case.
Any thoughts on these (5 for $15)? https://afterlateraudio.com/product/sta ... cable-red/

The price is cheaper than buying a few multis and changing the size didn't change the price. I'm not sure if that's a mistake, but seems like a decent deal.

Sorry, I've only used the Tip Top Stack Cables.

I'm gonna give it a try.

It's too bad they only come in red because I really would like to keep the sizes as separate colors, but I'm curious if these will work well compared to a multi.

They're a "boutique" Seattle company.

@Shabdahbriah, if they're not legit, please flip em' off the next time you pass by.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”