What's your freeware mastering chain in 2021?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are many capable freeware compressors, EQs and even multiband and dynamic tools available, some even rival their paid competitors. What is / would be your freeware only mastering chain?

Compression, EQ, dynamic EQ: All the Tokyo Dawn freebies (Molotok, Kotelnikov, SlickEQ, Nova)

Linear phase EQ: lkjb Qrange

Tape sim: VOS Ferric TDS (Win/x86-only :( )

Limiter/clipper: the old VladG version of Limiter 6 (with the fancy ENV skin)

(My actual chain is Nova GE -> <various saturators> -> <various compressors> -> SlickEQ M -> Limiter 6 GE.)

I am not a real mastering engineer.

Have a look at the OSC competitions. Everybody states what they have used.

Given that I never use exactly the same plugins for mastering (because not all tracks need the same processing), I'll write down which ones I like to use instead:

Gain/Trim: TB Pro Audio mvMeter 2 (yeah, it can be used as a gain plugin and it sounds great at that), and Blue Cat Audio's Gain Suite (for gain staging with the Group feature).

EQ: TDR NOVA and SlickEQ, Fuse Audio Labs RS-W2395C, Analog Obsession Rare (the newest version made this year), Acustica Audio Coral Baxter and Coffee The PUn and Airwindows Ultrasonic (the last one in very rare ocassions).

Compression: TDR Kotelnikov and Molotok, Vlad G Molot, Klanghelm MJUCjr and DC1A3.

Saturation: Most plugins already mentioned, Klanghelm IVGI2, Chow DSP Chow Tape Model (https://chowdsp.com/products.html), Softube Saturation Knob and Voxengo Tube Amp.

Stereo: Polyverse Wider, Izotope Ozone Imager 2, Press Play Stereo Helper and White Elephant Audio MONSTR.

Clipper: Vlad G Limiter No 6.

Limiter: Vlad G Limiter No 6.

Meters: Youlean Loudness Meter, Voxengo SPAN and Correlation Meter.

Checkers: Press Play Stereo Helper and Beyerdynamic Virtual Studio (in Car mode).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:
1) If possible I never use plugins for Stereo widening, they cause more problem than what they fix.

2) I always use Vlad G Limiter No 6 with certain settings to improve the sound quality:
a) Fix. Latency (above the compressor meter).
b) Comp->Lim (above the compressor meter).
c) Oversampling 4x (above HF limiter meter).
d) In the Clipper section, Upsampling on SIGNAL. Contrary to what the Manual says, the Upsampling mode actually affects the sound of the whole plugin, even if the Clipper section is OFF.

3) I always use a instance of Vlad G Limiter No 6 for only the Clipper, followed by another instance only for the Peak Limiter. I don't use True Peak/ISP Limiting but I do use the Output Knob on that section.

4) I don't like Linear Phase EQs, I can't stand pre-ringing.

5) I don't use dither, I can hear what it does to the audio (not just the noise by itself) and I don't like it.

6) Even though the clipper and limiter are always at the end of my chains, I always use them first to get the loudness that feels best for the song, and then use other plugins above in the chain to compensate for the tone change.

If I had no money and was starting from scratch:

SlickEQ M, the "true analogue experience" free version
FirComp, two instances, one as a vibey comp, and another as a Limiter

Could do an amazing amount with just those two and a host.

Slick EQ, Molot, (PTEq-X), Limiter No 6

nvr mind

The most important tool in your mastering chain is an LU/DR meter, so you don't destroy your dynamic range. Youlean Loudness Meter does both LU and LUFS, and is free.

https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/

THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Great Mastering (and great mixing) requires a really good acousticly treated studio. Building, materials, measuring etc costs time and money. A lot more than a couple of plugins.

Honestly I dont get why a mastering engineer would limit (pun intended ;) ) themselfs to freeware only... not saying freeware can't be as good as commercial ones though. I use Loudmax in TP mode for clean limiting while mixing.... and 2xFircomp lately for compressing.
They could probably be used in mastering as well.
Last edited by cnt on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

cnt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:13 am
Honestly I dont get why a mastering engineer would limit (pun intended ;) ) themselfs to freeware only...
for the challenge?

to see what results is/are possible?

to save money?

cnt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:13 am I use Loudmax in TP mode for clean limiting while mixing.... could probably be used in mastering as well.
I also use Loudmax for KVR OSC competition. Are you referring to the "ISP" button? If so thanks. What should i expect from TP mode than regular mode? Forgive me, i'm a novice/learner.

Yea sure, for the challange and fun. :)
But not for getting paid on other ppl projects trying to get the best result as possible.

Spring Goose wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:21 am
cnt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:13 am I use Loudmax in TP mode for clean limiting while mixing.... could probably be used in mastering as well.
I also use Loudmax for KVR OSC competition. Are you referring to the "ISP" button? If so thanks. What should i expect from TP mode than regular mode? Forgive me, i'm a novice/learner.
Sorry yes ISP or True Peak,

cnt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:21 am Yea sure, for the challange and fun. :)
But not for getting paid on other ppl projects trying to get the best result as possible.
I don't know about getting paid, or about other ppl projects, and yes i understood you meant True Peak. Thanks cnt. No need for sorry, pal!
Last edited by Spring Goose on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't think this is a question by mastering engineers for mastering engineers. It seems to be for people who are bedroom DIY musicians who want to get the best results they can without spending money on it.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Effects”