Airwindows on M1 apple silicon?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, first time posting here but can anyone confirm something for me. I'm desperate to get using the Airwindows AU on my Mac mini M1, managed to get the none native AU's working in Ableton but noticed each unit spikes the CPU a lot, meaning I can only use 5-6 instances without Ableton crapping out. I have just tried with the new MackityARM AU and whilst it working and I can now move the sliders, the CPU spike is even worse.. I know Ableton is not native yet but I thought at least with a native Airwindows AU it would go easier on the CPU? anyone have any experience with this also?

jinxtigr wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:04 am I'll repeat that more explicitly, as it is a direct answer to the whole purpose of the thread:

MackityARM.zip(98k)

That's the most recent plugin, using my best shot at a process to support direct native M1 Audio Unit compiling.

It'll unzip into an Audio Unit file, which IS code signed and won't require use of Terminal or anything like that. I had to pay Apple to get the upgrade to my developer profile that allowed me to get that, and I'll have to continue to pay Apple every year to maintain it. It's a native M1 build, and if it works that means the answer to the thread question is "YES, NATIVELY, RIGHT NOW".

And the rest is just a LOT of work recompiling everything… work I've already begun. I'll skip new plugins coming out, until I have the entire library, 249 individual plugins, available. I probably won't skip sleep and eating: depends on how quickly it goes :lol:

I didn't have the new XCode compiling stuff for me before, it was impenetrable: and I didn't have the for-pay Apple distribution certificate before yesterday. I'm going as fast as I can, and now what I need is confirmation from one person who isn't me, that it worked. Preferably, several people. You'll have to have an M1 Mac because there's no Intel code in there (I'm thinking hard about leaving it in the PPC/32/64 build, which I will also continue to do going forward)

I also have a universal binary in MackityUniversal.zip(198k)

Let me know if this worked. If it did, things are going to get real busy around here, real quickly. I'm going to grab some sleep as it might be the last sleep I get for a while…
It works! I successfully loaded this up in both Reaper ARM native and Logic Pro X as native ARM fx.

It did however fail when trying to open it in DDMF Metaplugin native ARM plugin, which has no problems opening other AU native plugins.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Fitzsy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 pm Hi all, first time posting here but can anyone confirm something for me. I'm desperate to get using the Airwindows AU on my Mac mini M1, managed to get the none native AU's working in Ableton but noticed each unit spikes the CPU a lot, meaning I can only use 5-6 instances without Ableton crapping out. I have just tried with the new MackityARM AU and whilst it working and I can now move the sliders, the CPU spike is even worse.. I know Ableton is not native yet but I thought at least with a native Airwindows AU it would go easier on the CPU? anyone have any experience with this also?
I don't think that is how it works. Your host needs to also be Native ARM to properly use the system. I've noticed this with Logic Pro X. If you run that in Rosetta 2 mode, I have much higher CPU usage overall.. but if you run Logic in Native ARM mode and only use native ARM plugins, the system is incredibly powerful and doesn't easily choke.

Same with Reaper ARM version. It runs pretty much flawlessly so far.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Oh, btw: while I spend days and weeks getting RSI continually going over all the 'signed' Audio Units for M1 Macs (and Catalina/Big Sur Intel Macs, now), because it is absolutely not working, have a little preview.
I will continue to try and get the absolutely hilarious and convoluted process of making free plugins for all, to get past Apple's gatekeeping. I'm sorry I didn't have more of an official 'something' release today: it was supposed to be 'all the plugins', but Apple security has me beat. I am squawking for help to an Apple dev who specializes in Gatekeeper, whose general advice is 'Unfortunately this won't work for you' and who talks of plugins as if they are command-line tools.

I'm doing the best I can.

K, so this should be the real deal

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yocowl32 ... s.dmg/file

Talking to the Apple dev (the famed Quinn the Eskimo!) cleared up things. Looks like we are good to go. Next, signed Mac VSTs, probably next month :D

MackityARM worked for me, but only after allowing the Security panel to validate it, then followed by having Logic (native) reload the plug. Then all was fine. (I know this is a late post to this thread, 8 months after MackityARM was posted, but I'm here b/c none of the other Airwindows plugs were being seen, much less validated, on my M1 (Monterey v12.0.1) system. That includes the Starter Kit package as well as the full suite of Airwindows AUs. Now I think I have a path forward with these plugins, and maybe this info helps someone else?)

Return to “Effects”