FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

Maybe be patient until its sold for sub 10 @ pluginboutique?

FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic - Post Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:16 am

So about a year of patience so far with no end in sight.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

It’s getting hard to stay positive about the buyout. Things have been so quiet. I did get an updated build to try a few months back, as I wasn’t able to use the latest available one, and it’s been stable. A little more consistent communication would go a long ways to helping us feel good about the future of BFD though.

For me, as long as it stays available and works and gets updates for OS changes then I’m fine. I don’t need more from it than what it already does, and am not interested in more sound libraries either, unless someone did a proper reggae pack for it. I’d hate to not be able to use it anymore.

Hey all - sorry for not responding here sooner.

So we're working on stuff. I promise we are. We're a small team right now, and we have a roadmap that involves a bunch of backend work first, before we release any software. You'll all see activity on this in the coming weeks.

There is a forum, we've just not advertised it yet. Not much point until there is a new build of BFD3 and all that kind of stuff - watch this space.

What might seem like utter silence is actually a small team with their heads down, cracking on with the work required.

Future-wise, I started a doc last week called "BFD: The Future" which I am putting everything that I've researched and thought about for the past few years, and that will form a solid proposal for future product work.

But I'd love to hear from users too and what they want, so feel free to write up in this thread and it may make it into the doc!
Last edited by Amberience on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

masterhiggins wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:14 am
Amberience wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:21 pm
triggerthehorizon wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm Any maintenance updates on the way to fix some of the known bugs introduced with the last version? :D
Yes! :tu:
Could you convince Roli/Fxpansion to sell Tremor and Bloom to inMusic as well? :)
Honestly, I'd love nothing more!!
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

DMG68 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:26 pm It’s getting hard to stay positive about the buyout. Things have been so quiet. I did get an updated build to try a few months back, as I wasn’t able to use the latest available one, and it’s been stable. A little more consistent communication would go a long ways to helping us feel good about the future of BFD though.

For me, as long as it stays available and works and gets updates for OS changes then I’m fine. I don’t need more from it than what it already does, and am not interested in more sound libraries either, unless someone did a proper reggae pack for it. I’d hate to not be able to use it anymore.
Apologies for disappearing! Glad the build is stable though.

There's a load of extra things you need, you're just not aware of it yet! :hihi:

A reggae pack would be very cool. I'd love to get really experimental with something like that, have spring reverbs and channels that give you loads of cool analog dub sounds and things like that. Not just a straight up drum pack, but something more involved, sound design-y, and creative.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am Maybe be patient until its sold for sub 10 @ pluginboutique?
Neeevvvvveeeerrrrrr gonnaaaaa haaapppeeennnnnnnnn :D :tu:

Amberience wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:50 pm
DMG68 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:26 pm It’s getting hard to stay positive about the buyout. Things have been so quiet. I did get an updated build to try a few months back, as I wasn’t able to use the latest available one, and it’s been stable. A little more consistent communication would go a long ways to helping us feel good about the future of BFD though.

Apologies for disappearing! Glad the build is stable though.

There's a load of extra things you need, you're just not aware of it yet! :hihi:

A reggae pack would be very cool. I'd love to get really experimental with something like that, have spring reverbs and channels that give you loads of cool analog dub sounds and things like that. Not just a straight up drum pack, but something more involved, sound design-y, and creative.
That’d be cool, although I don’t need the extras myself, I mix dub live, but I’m sure it’d be nice for a lot of other users. What I’d like is a good vintage rubadub pack and a nice modern roots pack. There are some great reggae drummers out there that you could work with for the sounds.

Thanks for the update, it’s good to hear that things are moving.

@Amberience, I think I might have voiced this before, so sorry if I repeat myself.

I feel that your presets are bad. You can clearly hear the potential of the samples in the demo music on the product pages. But I‘ve never come close with the presets. So if you could add ‚production ready‘ presets in the vein of Slate Drums, I would use bfd way more often.

Also, the realism might be top notch with a top of the line Roland, but if you play on a keyboard or an eDrum set without zones on the snare and only regular HiHat cymbals/pads, it sounds very static to me. Might be great to improve on those fronts.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

I don't want to go into too many wishlist items as I hate building up my hopes, but my two suggestions would be:

1. Much better installers with simpler paths. I have stuff all over the place with various repeated subfolders making it hard to find the correct folder for things like presets, grooves etc. Frankly it's a mess.

2. Ability to insert VST effects in place of the stock effects.

medienhexer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:06 pm @Amberience, I think I might have voiced this before, so sorry if I repeat myself.

I feel that your presets are bad. You can clearly hear the potential of the samples in the demo music on the product pages. But I‘ve never come close with the presets. So if you could add ‚production ready‘ presets in the vein of Slate Drums, I would use bfd way more often.

Also, the realism might be top notch with a top of the line Roland, but if you play on a keyboard or an eDrum set without zones on the snare and only regular HiHat cymbals/pads, it sounds very static to me. Might be great to improve on those fronts.
You'll hear no argument from me on the presets. The simple reality is that in the past we've been right up against it in terms of deadlines and presets always came last place in terms of scheduling. I always hated it that way, and going forward I really want presets to be of a much higher standard. Same with grooves too.

In terms of playing from a keyboard, it's probably more to do with the default setup experience than anything inherent to the engine or the content. It's totally possible to get excellent results just using a keyboard, but it takes some work getting there. That has to change. It has to be a much more pleasing experience right out of the gate.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 pm I don't want to go into too many wishlist items as I hate building up my hopes, but my two suggestions would be:

1. Much better installers with simpler paths. I have stuff all over the place with various repeated subfolders making it hard to find the correct folder for things like presets, grooves etc. Frankly it's a mess.

2. Ability to insert VST effects in place of the stock effects.
1 - 100%. It wont change instantly, but eventually we'd like to get rid of installers altogether and have a decent service centre type app that can handle content in an intelligent way - allow you to download a subset of kits (the stuff you actually use!), allow you to choose detail levels, allow you to install pack updates, extra presets and grooves as they come, etc. Way less faff and bother for the end user, and ultimately avoid everyone having to download huge payloads again and again and again.

2 - This is something we've considered over the years. We always felt that it would introduce a lot of extra hassle in terms of PDC issues and crashing. We could run plugins inside sub-hosts within the plugin and try to deal with crashes intelligently... but wouldn't it be better to give the user much more instantaneous control over where their signals are routed in the DAW?

Judging by some of the user research I've done over the years, not a lot of people use the mixer for actual processing. They mainly use it for routing. So I think there are probably questions about how relevant it would be to load plugins into BFD3; I'm definitely all ears on the issue though!! Anyone else feel like they wanna kick me in the face for even daring to suggest it shouldn't be a priority? :dog:

Amberience wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:45 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:14 am
Amberience wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:21 pm
triggerthehorizon wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm Any maintenance updates on the way to fix some of the known bugs introduced with the last version? :D
Yes! :tu:
Could you convince Roli/Fxpansion to sell Tremor and Bloom to inMusic as well? :)
Honestly, I'd love nothing more!!
Ask them! Tremor shouldn't die!!

---
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

---
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”