I Hate The Sound Of Synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
KVRAF
1941 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 am

I'm sorry you are going through this. Remind yourself that you always have more than two options (hardest thing to see when depression hits).
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is a [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

KVRAF
2399 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am

vurt wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:30 am
it's why they suggest exercise as a way of boosting yourself, the endorphins it produces have a similar uplifting effect.

the mind is a strange 🎏 takes some looking after on ocassion, like an aquarium. without the lights.
Indeed. I have found exercise helpful, and have the benefit of living in a rural area where I can just have a nice walk in the woods and chill. It can do wonders for sure.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Take music back from the suits and return it to the people.

KVRAF
4343 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:49 am

would it help if i told you i happen to believe you are going to make a million dollars by the end of next winter?

KVRAF
4374 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:48 pm

I hate the sound of guitars!

Sincerely, it's probably not best looking for advise for mental health problems on a music forum. But I assume you know what you are doing.

A small tale:

Guy came to fix my boiler the other day. I was a bit rude with him. I thought it was my new Akai arriving in the post and it was not. I saw the pity in his eyes, then the fear. Those are always the two major emotions that people register when they visit chez codec.

Got chatting. He was very friendly. He had the kind of genuine friendliness that can only come from great suffering. I don't know how it happened, but there was a large burst of emotions that came out.

He had a frozen shoulder (pretty painful to be working with). His father who had been married to his mother for 60 years just had to be put into an old people's home (love that term btw) because of dementia. His best friend had just died of cancer, aged just in his 30's/40's and to top it off his younger brother had also just died of cancer, similar age.

Wow!

So I tried to cheer him up a bit and said: You think that's bad?

:party:

The moral of this story is, there are many people out there suffering some really quite unimaginable injustices.

When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but whole batallions, I think Shakespeare said.

Keep a hold of yourself young man. You have no friend in this world better than yourself so be nice to yourself. And not to denigrate your whole experience, but there is not a thing you have gone through that someone else has not gone through and come out the other side.

When you wake up in the morning, just ask yourself a simple question: am I going to be a victim today, or a warrior?

I ask myself that question every day when I wake up. And on different days I answer it in different ways. Some days I am beaten and I know I am beaten, but on other days I have the fortitude to fight.

If nothing else, at least ask that question, and answer it honestly. After a while you will come out on top.

Get a grip on yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIX_6EVf7pI

Rad Grandad
33181 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:01 pm

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:06 pm
Hink wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:36 pm
hi yah Scott, there you are :hug:...hey I was gonna ask you a question when we last talked, do you play chess? Always looking for friends to play chess by email (much faster than by snail mail and fun)...anyhow, really good to see you Scott, lets talk again this weekend (I work Friday Night and saturday morning though)... :)
Hi Hink, yeah I've played chess almost my whole life and recently I stated playing on https://www.chess.com/

For me and as it's logic based and that of which I played at chess club during the last year of high school, it's one of things that brings out sad emotions. It wasn't long after I had left high school, that life started to go down hill. Associations to things are much more elevated as I'm living in the 1990's pretty much every day now. That's my nightmare period...all self-analysising to the n-th day. But I do play as it distracts me from my anxiety when I feel it growing within. With so much cycling, 16 miles today, my body and mind is more at ease as I type. I also had a chat with my psychologist at the hospital today.
sorry for the delay friday and sat is my busy time at work, but I'm on vacation starting at 2:01pm tomorrow :tu:

Shoot me a pm, I suck at chess but I love to play...I use it to shift to critical thinking.

Self analyzing sux (it's like pure bias confirmation), but you know in 2015 I read something that changed my life...if someone criticizes us (or our daw because it's kvr :hihi: ), we dont just take their word, we have a debate process internally and we debate them, we'll challenge them and we will make sure it isnt true right? (and of course sometimes it even works that way :hihi:) They're wrong, end of story, nothing they say can change that but we do often fight for what we believe to be true. We advocate for ourselves...you know what Scott, no offense but both of us are pretty good at that when it comes to the gear we take pride in.

That little voice in our head criticizes us, it's fact, cant possibly be wrong, listen to your heart, the voice is your heart, no debate process. You might want to think about challenging that voice, now I go to work with a goofy tie dye hat on...before I would have been too self conscious to wear it, now I am a character and proud of it...ftr I think my little voice has tried to get me to quit my job, telling me to call in sick...instead I except the challenge, go to work and then I have more evidence to advocate for myself, with myself....that voice? Not very accurate and in fact may have your worst intentions in mind.

LIke I said shoot me a pm over the weekend (Or I will you), I got two ears and I'll try to avoid waiting...but if not me there are a lot of amazing people in this thread alone who might change your life if you let em...just by listening :hug: (I'll even give yah my phone number, but remember...I speak fluent New Englandish :lol: )

Talk to you soon Scott :)
A toxic person needs someone to attack when their ego is threatened.

KVRist
164 posts since 11 Dec, 2018

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:10 pm

I highly recommend this podcast: https://feelinggood.com/list-of-feeling-good-podcasts/

It made a huge change in my life. Hope it helps someone else too.

KVRAF
10926 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:12 pm

I used to hate the sound of synths too. Not like nails-on-a-blackboard hate, but like a child-with-a-kazoo hate. They just sounded cheezy and silly. Now I love them. Did I change? Perhaps.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRAF
2601 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:36 pm

Intrancer, referring to your post about ideation, just remember that it is a symptom, not a call to action, OK? I'm guessing that quite a few of us in this thread have been through similar and we're all still here to tell the tale and discuss your situation.

I hope you will be able to help out in some future thread when a KVR member also finds him/herself in need and reaches out to some like-minded folk.
😷

KVRAF
21350 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:11 pm

I'm haunted by time wasted, including time yesterday and somewhat today, although I think I did what I could today and yesterday I believed my hearing had gone wrong (when it was only forgetting to bring the automation back to where it was for a mic channel; the piano sounded like headphones were shorting out at the jack or something). It does no good to regret so it's something to consciously tell yourself, there's no gain in worrying about things you can't go back and redo. So there's no point in being masochistic about it.

If synthesizers were all there was to create music with I would become depressed in probably the clinical sense even. The ear needs relief from that sound world I think. Not that all are created equal or to ignore the musicality of some of it but for me it would be like, you like your coffee a little sweet and instead of sweetening with turbinado all there is is splenda.

KVRist
247 posts since 8 Jul, 2004 from UK

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:45 am

codec's comment brought to mind a quotation I like:
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".
Plenty evidence of that in this thread. So keep up the fight Intrancer, you're not alone.

KVRAF
2775 posts since 15 Oct, 2017 from U.S.

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:58 am

My little problem with that is people who use that fact to become so high maintenance that their primary thought is how much consideration everyone else should have for them during a disagreement

KVRAF
3739 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:13 am

I'm too much of a jerk to be depressed about anything I guess. I have seen a lot of folks make the wrong choice in similar situations. Get help if you need it, there's nothing wrong with that.

KVRist
218 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:23 am

Haven't we all been there or at least close? Musicians are emotional and sensitive people more than hardheaded and cold. You are not alone, and you have a lot of firends who will sympatize when they read this even if you do not know them. You are not only talking about yourself, but us. If people are human at all, they will know that your fight is a shared fight and share their compassion and understanding. It looks like just another thread, but it can be way more, a source of strenght because you will know that you have understanding and support from souls out there. May Odin give you strength and wisdom in your battle. If you win it, you win a tiny bit for all of us. Maybe enough the give the next guy in line a kick forward.

All the best
Gothi
ToH
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 Karma, MC909, Microkorg, MU100R/VL70 w. BC1, Nord Lead 2, Polivoks, Prophecy, WSA-1, Mac Pro w. Reason 11 Suite + Nektar P4 + Nektar Impact LX25+.

Boss Lovin' DR
7856 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:27 am

It's ok, I don't much care for them either.

KVRAF
2604 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:42 am

This has been a crazy time and everybody I know are on their bloody toes. There will be written volumes about these times in the future.

The only thing I feel I could contribute with, is that every time I feel remotely what you describe, it always helps me that I disconnect with everything around me. Music, internet, phone etc. Create a calm island physically. I wish you the best and may you find a way out of the darkness.
Plughugger Sound Design
VINTAGE NO. 5 - Vintage Electronica for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”