SOLVED...How can I send midi to crusherX or other fx in Studio One

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I cannot figure out how to play crusherX as an instrument in Studio One. As an effect fine, but sending midi to crusherX seems impossible. I bet it isnt tho, so any help appreciated
Last edited by fairlyclose on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:22 amI cannot figure out how to play crusherX as an instrument in Studio One. As an effect fine, but sending midi to crusherX seems impossible. I bet it isnt tho, so any help appreciated
Is it an instrument? If so, what happens if you create Instrument Track with it? Doesn't it receive MIDI?

If it's an effect - that sits on an Audio Track - then just send MIDI from Instrument Track to it from the Inspector's middle section where there's Out, In & Channel (use Out).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks, it is an effect but sadly the send solution does not work.

Go to the fx and for the side chain selection, choose the midi track you want it to pick up from

MuzikFreq wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:19 am Go to the fx and for the side chain selection, choose the midi track you want it to pick up from
thanks, I have it figured out now. S1 will only allow your solution for VST3, not VST2. crusher-X has a VST3 version planned but is only VST2 at the moment - so the solution is that it cant currently be done
Last edited by fairlyclose on Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:19 am Go to the fx and for the side chain selection, choose the midi track you want it to pick up from
thanks, I have it figured out now. S1 will only allow your solution for VST3, not VST2. crusher-X has a VST3 version planned
So how did you solved it in the meantime?
Why wouldn't you post it here, for others to benefit?? :dog:
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:16 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 pm
thanks, I have it figured out now. S1 will only allow your solution for VST3, not VST2. crusher-X has a VST3 version planned
So how did you solved it in the meantime?
Why wouldn't you post it here, for others to benefit?? :dog:
the solution is you cant do it - I thought that was clear but have adjusted my post to make it clearer

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 pmthe solution is you cant do it - I thought that was clear but have adjusted my post to make it clearer
Oh :) Thanks then!
Music tech enthusiast

So you can't route midi to effects in Studio One? I could have sworn i did it a while ago with MRhythmyzer, though I can't remember how (it's not my main DAW)

So if you instantiated it as an effect on an instrument channel, you can't get any MIDI to it by that? That seems severe or broken if true. But if you can get CC to it that way, there'll be a way to, in something, like Cubase's Logical Editor, or that one plugin with plz in the name, S1 may do internally, to convert CC to note numbers and get in thru the side door. it'd be weird. maybe not that feasible but a thought. or something

if the bridging sort of instrument exports MIDI, though, you're in, albeit you have this 2nd instrument to put on ignore

jancivil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:38 am So if you instantiated it as an effect on an instrument channel, you can't get any MIDI to it by that? That seems severe or broken if true. But if you can get CC to it that way, there'll be a way to, in something, like Cubase's Logical Editor, or that one plugin with plz in the name, S1 may do internally, to convert CC to note numbers and get in thru the side door. it'd be weird. maybe not that feasible but a thought. or something
The use case that i needed for example is that i have an effect plugin that needs to sit on an insert on the Master, or a Bus, and some functions on that plugin needs to be triggered by midi notes from a dedicated instrument channel that doesn't actually play any actual instruments, but is used solely to trigger that plugin. this is a bit different than having the plugin in serial on an instrument's channel insert.

that seems more difficult to achieve to me. I'd think the sent to bus would have to use a sidechain function to get in.

I could do this if crusherx was a plugin in VE Pro, using Kontakt as a dummy (VEP's the only thing I have used MIDI to control an effect in, I don't know why I couldn't in a regular DAW now that I think it through). I suppose simply going through it, not sure if something has to be loaded or quite why, but if it does it can be output separately, easily, so the main instrument channel has crusherx while '3-4' or 'stereo 2' has the kontakt patch which may be ignored (its resulting audio muted on return or not printed).
conceptually it seems like you could simply go through it with MIDI but experientially I can't know before trying.

assuming this plugin receives note-ons like an instrument, which I also don't know. it may simply be not possible, I have not seen documentation of that plugin I can recall. I looked for a minute at it and there were other things which appealed to me more. As an effect I conceptualize granular as processing an audio file, fed an audio file, obviously, being simple.

Let's assume your crusherX is on Track One. Create Track Two as an instrument track. Under output for Track Two, select crusherX. Done.

I don't have crusherX. But Shaperbox 2 works just fine this way. And Zebrify, etc (VST2 on my system). But you do have to enable Shaperbox, within the plugin itself, to receive MIDI for it to show up as a MIDI Output destination. Check and make see if crusherX requires enabling in a similar manner.

I'll add, I just got Studio One 5.2 Artist with some hardware and have been playing with that (liking Studio One a lot btw). What version are you on? Perhaps an earlier version doesn't allow this? (although I have a hard time imagining this to be the case)

KBSoundSmith wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 am Let's assume your crusherX is on Track One. Create Track Two as an instrument track. Under output for Track Two, select crusherX. Done.

I don't have crusherX. But Shaperbox 2 works just fine this way. And Zebrify, etc (VST2 on my system). But you do have to enable Shaperbox, within the plugin itself, to receive MIDI for it to show up as a MIDI Output destination. Check and make see if crusherX requires enabling in a similar manner.

I'll add, I just got Studio One 5.2 Artist with some hardware and have been playing with that (liking Studio One a lot btw). What version are you on? Perhaps an earlier version doesn't allow this? (although I have a hard time imagining this to be the case)
What will prevent Track One from sending midi data to Crusher-x too?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”