How can I achieve a Talkbox & Compuvox sound?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a talkbox here, right?
https://youtu.be/TAqZb52sgpU?t=136

arkmabat wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:50 pm This is a talkbox here, right?
dunno vid unavailable, but frampton, show me the way, is the prime example.

Youtube doesn't like linking here, but it will play at the link still for me. Yeah. Bon Jovi too... livin' on a wow wow

thanks
id forgotten the bon jovi track.

will have to book a lobotomy again.

This little guy can actually get a nice whah-peak sound without a real talkbox setup.

https://www.123creative.com/vst-guitar- ... mpbox.html

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 am I would guess you would not mind a VST, if you can apply the effect to your life voice.
As you use Bitwig, one could try to do some magic in the Grid.
A Talkbox acts like multiple resonant filters. A vocoder could come close, but is different. Usually the Talkbox does not need that your voice sounds, just the forming of the mouth applies the filtering. You would have to experiment a bit, but I fear its easier to build your own physical Talkbox... (and why not?)
About what you mentioned “ As you use Bitwig, one could try to do some magic in the Grid”
Yes you got me right & that’s what I meant. using some manual technique or building a patch via the Grid for example which is a good idea to get close to the Talkbox or Compuvox environment.
There is a vocoder patch in BWS as well, I’m researching to do the same thing but as Talkbox.

Yes using The Grid for creating 2 patches for both models is a great idea & the Grid is a powerful tool that could surprise us with magical result.

I understand now by mentioning about Talkbox is characterized more to the human mouth & air rather than the Vocoder which act more to the voice vibration it self.

Also I’m interested of what you mention about building a physical Talkbox. I’ll have to research about that as well.

Anyway Thanks Tj Shredder for your help
All the bests

LeVzi wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:48 pm Has there ever been a decent talkbox emulation ?
There is The classic MDA vst from smart electronix & Vocal Synth 2 from iZotope.

mda Vst doesn’t sound good & very basic.

In Vocal Synth 2 the Talkbox lacks lots of clarity although they added lots of features like lfo, new osc, etc.. since V1 it still lacking definition with limited amount of bands only 8 which is so basic they called it vol. even tweaking the pan that still doesn’t make sense.
The same goes to it’s neighbours:
(Biovox, Vocoder, Compuvox, Polyvox).

It’s designed to be mixed with a dry signal since it works better like this
& Vocal Synth is a melodic vocal processor not a transformer processor.

I wish that izotope developed 4 separate plugins for each model in Vocal Synth 2 because each one has complex features by it’s nature & affording a bunch of feature for each is super powerful.

I think when emulating a Talkbox in the digital world it will sound like a vocoder so we returned to the starting point again nothing new because the Hardware Talkbox is totally different it will rely on human mouth pressure as Tj shredder mentioned & it’s so difficult to simulate this air pressure in a plugin to sound exactly as the Talkbox behavior which is so clear. that’s why there isn’t so much Talkbox VST plugins & people tend to buy the hardware.
Were in the digital world The vocoder is suitable for many cases.

I’m considering a Talkbox VS a Vocoder in the digital world is like a real electric guitar vs synth guitar. because of the amp issue.

Sadly I didn’t find any convincing Talkbox plugin until now Anyone has a list maybe?

If you want to control a Talkbox effect, you need to analyse the formant while talking or singing. I can imagine to extract those out of a sung voice and at the same time eliminate/ignore the sung pitch. Vocals usually have 3 formants, you need to extract those and control 3 formant filters... Just an idea to get to that... But you could also try to have a controller instead of your mouth to play around with the filters...
Building a physical talk box, as mentioned before, a loudspeaker feeding into a tube into the mouth, a microphone to pick up the sound...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:13 pm If you want to control a Talkbox effect, you need to analyse the formant while talking or singing. I can imagine to extract those out of a sung voice and at the same time eliminate/ignore the sung pitch. Vocals usually have 3 formants, you need to extract those and control 3 formant filters... Just an idea to get to that... But you could also try to have a controller instead of your mouth to play around with the filters...
Building a physical talk box, as mentioned before, a loudspeaker feeding into a tube into the mouth, a microphone to pick up the sound...
Ok that’s seem really interesting, there is also Biovox inside Vocal Synth 2 which I can tweak it’s vector knob blending betweet the formants & also “kHz formant” might be the same but it is really difficult to create a word from such plugins.

About building a TB hardware I’ll go & try things out this might deserve lots of research.

However Do you know if there is a software or VST that can analyze our formant automatically instead of manually tweak the vector?
like for example saying ahh ohh can automatically process to the ahh ohh area & so on.

arkmabat wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:50 pm This is a talkbox here, right?
No, its a simple wahwah...

Return to “Effects”