Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:45 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:40 pm
DJErmac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:38 pm The only message I’m here for is that hammers are not used by gardeners, and synthesizers are not used by waltz composers : EDM is a true huge market when you make synths. They are the ones who use the most the synths in actual modern music market !! If EDM makers say they can’t use your synth, to me it appears some options might be thought about.
But I’ve perfectly understood Urs is open to suggestions and will think about it, no problem, I’m only clarifying my position. I know most of you don’t give a s#it about EDM and I’m fine with it.
what if they're fixing the fence?
Right? How offensive to think that a gardener wouldn't use a hammer.
You got what I’m saying : if you’re making a tool, better make it thinking of the people who will use it the most, not the least. :wink:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:48 pm
DJErmac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:38 pm The only message I’m here for is that hammers are not used by gardeners, and synthesizers are not used by waltz composers : EDM is a true huge market when you make synths. They are the ones who use the most the synths in actual modern music market !! If EDM makers say they can’t use your synth, to me it appears some options might be thought about.
But I’ve perfectly understood Urs is open to suggestions and will think about it, no problem, I’m only clarifying my position. I know most of you don’t give a s#it about EDM and I’m fine with it.
You got what I’m saying : if you’re making a tool, better make it thinking of the people who will use it the most, not the least. :wink:
These self-centered thought patterns are the very core of EDM. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE GARDNERS!

DJErmac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:45 pm
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
there was a point, albeit hidden :hihi:
while i agree edm is a decent sized market for synths, it's far from the only market, nor even biggest probably.

synths appear in pretty much all music genres these days, indeed perhaps not as big a role as in edm, in for example country, but they do get used, for organ and pad sounds.
same with many genres, they do supporting roles.

but then even electronic lead music, there are many genres outside of dance.

then of course there are people who don't even make music, but use them in films for sfx and such.

i do agree with you however, that some tools are better suited to various jobs, in the case of synths, some do reach certain goals "faster" than others, others may have different features that give them an edge for certain sounds.
but most synths could be used in place, unless you needed a very specific sound!!!!
and im sure there would be other roles within a given genre where we could use the synth that didn't work for the lead...

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:56 pm
then of course there are people who don't even make music
Is that about half of KVR? Or more?

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:50 pm
DJErmac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:48 pm
These self-centered thought patterns are the very core of EDM. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE GARDNERS!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:56 pm there was a point, albeit hidden :hihi:
while i agree edm is a decent sized market for synths, it's far from the only market, nor even biggest probably.

synths appear in pretty much all music genres these days, indeed perhaps not as big a role as in edm, in for example country, but they do get used, for organ and pad sounds.
same with many genres, they do supporting roles.

but then even electronic lead music, there are many genres outside of dance.

then of course there are people who don't even make music, but use them in films for sfx and such.

i do agree with you however, that some tools are better suited to various jobs, in the case of synths, some do reach certain goals "faster" than others, others may have different features that give them an edge for certain sounds.
but most synths could be used in place, unless you needed a very specific sound!!!!
and im sure there would be other roles within a given genre where we could use the synth that didn't work for the lead...
You are entirely right. I was only pointing a fact in the first place : Zebra2 can’t make Avenger’s supersaws. Then the talk took place.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:01 pm
Good bet either way, I'd guess. :wink:

I p.e.r.s.o.n.a.l.l.y feel really fortunate not to have the pressure, anxiety, and frustration associated with needing to "produce music" or "make a song". I'm free to experiment, and just PLAY with, and 'sculpt sound' with the incredible tools at my disposal. Use what 'tools' work for you... simple.

{aside} I've been and thoroughly enjoyed recording, generating, and manipulating 'sounds' since the mid-late 50's.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

define "music" :o

^^^ 'xactly! ^^^
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:41 pm
define "music" :o
Well, um, you see, um, that's pretty easy to do really, give me a minute, well, um, you see, music is this thing, um, where, um...

That said, I think that I've uncovered the riddle. It seems that Zebra is the ultimate musician's software synthesizer, and since I'm not a musician, I don't need it. I'll start saving my pennies so that when I become a musician, I will be able to purchase a copy.

Urs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm This is the thing, I have no idea what Hive does better than Zebra, apart from "crisp" not being the default setting in Zebra and pan spreading being gradual, thus requiring 2 oscillators panned opposite sides.
So is Hive just a subset of Zebra, except different detune algorihms? Or is it not?

I can't define this in proper technical words, but when just browse Hive presets and Zebra presets, I always think Hive has more balls, sounds bigger, fatter and more classy. There are some Zebra presets which sound cool at first but when I listen to them more it's always kinda "close but no cigar"

I mostly use my own patches for actual tracks and Hive is a joy to work with, it always delivers sounds which fit my tracks with minimum extra processing (and the supersaws are maybe 10% of these sounds). Can't say the same about Zebra.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:12 pm So is Hive just a subset of Zebra, except different detune algorihms? Or is it not?
I see Hive and Zebra is a similar relationship as ACE and Bazille or Repro and Diva. But everything that is in Hive is part of the development process of Zebra's next major version, with very few exceptions, and some bits we'd by now even drive a little further.

Might there be an upgrade discount for Dark Zebra owners? I understand if things are tight right now though.

Edit: Whoa, this is absolutely generous if true! "If you own Zebra2, Zebra3 will be a $30 upgrade. If you own Zebra2 and Dark Zebra/ZebraHZ, Zebra3 will be a free upgrade."
Last edited by arkmabat on Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(that said, Hive uses a pretty cool trick to make its oscillators sound really wide, without using any psychoacoustic trickery - which is not per sé a detune law, but merely a stochastic distribution problem. However, no-one has ever noticed it even though it's arguably different from anything I've heard - possibly others out there doing the same, I wouldn't know -, so I guess it really doesn't play that much of a role at all, or people just don't know how to express what they hear, or maybe I hear things differently and for others it simply isn't there at all)

arkmabat wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:28 pm Might there be an upgrade discount for Dark Zebra owners? I understand if things are tight right now though.
It's gonna be free for owners of Zebra2 + TDZ. But we don't know when we can do it.

Things are not tight right now, they are just slow (no finance issues, just time consuming processes).

Oh good. And awesome, thanks! I certainly look forward to it.

Return to “Instruments”