Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

Urs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:25 pm
recursive one wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:12 pm So is Hive just a subset of Zebra, except different detune algorihms? Or is it not?
I see Hive and Zebra is a similar relationship as ACE and Bazille or Repro and Diva. But everything that is in Hive is part of the development process of Zebra's next major version, with very few exceptions, and some bits we'd by now even drive a little further.
Thanks, i see. So I gather Hive is a different sounds engine and it's not only the unison, right?

I don't own Ace but in the Repro/Diva pair I also tend to prefer the sound of Repro for the same subjective reasons (fatter/punchier/more "classy"). That's not to say I don't like Diva though. I think 90% of my tracks have at least one sound from Diva.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Urs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:30 pm (that said, Hive uses a pretty cool trick to make its oscillators sound really wide, without using any psychoacoustic trickery - which is not per sé a detune law, but merely a stochastic distribution problem. However, no-one has ever noticed it even though it's arguably different from anything I've heard - possibly others out there doing the same, I wouldn't know -, so I guess it really doesn't play that much of a role at all, or people just don't know how to express what they hear, or maybe I hear things differently and for others it simply isn't there at all)
We can't have all been born with identically shaped ear canals & earballs.....could we? :borg: :scared:
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:01 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:56 pm
then of course there are people who don't even make music
Is that about half of KVR? Or more?
There is a large segment of members here who would much rather collect synths and then argue about them. ;)
A well-behaved signature.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melomood wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:41 pm
Urs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:30 pm (that said, Hive uses a pretty cool trick to make its oscillators sound really wide, without using any psychoacoustic trickery - which is not per sé a detune law, but merely a stochastic distribution problem. However, no-one has ever noticed it even though it's arguably different from anything I've heard - possibly others out there doing the same, I wouldn't know -, so I guess it really doesn't play that much of a role at all, or people just don't know how to express what they hear, or maybe I hear things differently and for others it simply isn't there at all)
We can't have all been born with identically shaped ear canals & earballs.....could we? :borg: :scared:
I know about eyeballs, but earballs?

(and hmmm, I don't think that's what matters... it's about how the frequencies are distributed between the sides - and no shape of an ear/head affects the frequency of sound, only the volume/phase)

Earballs? Is it somehow involved into eargasm?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I think people notice it, I certainly believe I do -- perhaps this is the explanation for what I hear. And I'm pretty sure others hear it. I ghost read more than I post (neither with much frequency, especially as of late); from that I have noticed that when Bones discusses Hive, he seems to be alluding to the same phenomenon I'm experiencing. He views it as a negative since "placing" the sound feels problematic to him while mixing. I often feel that with Hive, I'm more tempted to play with the width controls than with other synths, either because I'm trying to get it to feel like other synths, or because I'm trying to exaggerate the difference. But something clearly different is happening.

delete

DJErmac wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:50 pm I've always said that Zebra2 has a sweeter sound, so I'll go for : Zebra is B.
SynthA was Zebra.

I might try to emulate the patch you seem to favor, since the point of the last example seemed too obscure. If you describe the architecture of the patch you like, I can probably get a Zebra patch in the ballpark, assuming I have time to give it another go.

What was synth B, if you want to share?

recursive one wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:17 pm Earballs? Is it somehow involved into eargasm?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK85OXiValM

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:33 pm What was synth B, if you want to share?
I'm sure that I don't know, but it gave me hives just listening to it. That stuff is just cringe. It's like the worst
Broadway musicals bumped into some bubble gum pop on the way to a Bon Jovi concert.

Do you want to know how to test out out your plucks" Just blast them out your window and measure the quality by how many young half naked girls knock on your door in the next hour to tell you that they're friends with the DJ.

Well... regardless of the melody (I hate that Avicii/whatever stuff too), and a bit too much detuning, I think you definitely hear some things. The sound tends to be more chaotic, fizzy, and not as wide in the synth A example than in the synth B example. There's also differences in the way the filter closes, or however you want to call it, at the beginning of the clip, with the plucky sound.

You don't have to like it. That's why it's a bit beyond me as well, when people who detest such sounds try to create some sound examples, to prove something. :)

Anyway, still interested what synth B was. I had an idea, but didn't say it, because, it literally can be anything. Well, at least I guessed correctly that synth A was Zebra.

@ghettosynth Full disclosure, I'm kinda that guy, without any amazing technical knowledge. I like nice things, and a $200 virtual synth is a lot more fun to play with than an "I Am Rich" app. Don't get me wrong, I play it and have fun letting the presets take me on a journey, but I don't know anything about song composition. Tweaking knobs is far more entertaining than tweaking on a substance behind the gas station. I've done one entry in the OSC that received far higher than last place, but I have a lot to learn and not much ambition to. My childhood was so bland in some ways that I can play with one patch for a half-hour, easily. I'm the kinda guy who bought Call of Duty III just for the Zombies minigame. Is it weird? A product of laziness? A product of loneliness? Minimalistic? The world may never know. But it sells and developers get food on the table, so everybody wins.
Last edited by arkmabat on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:07 pm
melomood wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:41 pm
I know about eyeballs, but earballs?

(and hmmm, I don't think that's what matters... it's about how the frequencies are distributed between the sides - and no shape of an ear/head affects the frequency of sound, only the volume/phase)
So there's hope for someone who had a cholesteatoma that was eating away at his ear drum removed,then had the ear drum reconstructed by a neurosurgeon?

Return to “Instruments”