Favorite Synths for synthwave

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rcube wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:30 pm Korg polysix VST/RE and the fat bass line preset for a quick synthwave bass.
Regardless of what genre I'm writing (I hate being pigeon holed!) this is my absolute favourite synth and patch for bass. Usually tweak the release and filter, then it's instant gratification. :tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 am
rcube wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:30 pm Korg polysix VST/RE and the fat bass line preset for a quick synthwave bass.
Regardless of what genre I'm writing (I hate being pigeon holed!) this is my absolute favourite synth and patch for bass. Usually tweak the release and filter, then it's instant gratification. :tu:
Same here... I was introduced to this patch in a tutorial by Timecop on Sonic Academy.

jonathan0226 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:10 pm What are your favorite synth vst's for synthwave and why?

Also any recommendations to get the sounds from Stranger Things or Tron Legacy would be appreciated!
From what I remember, Tron: Legacy used Sytrus, GrossBeat, and nice filters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ruW8kthlms

And this guy has a whole tutorial that starts with just Harmless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahPindVHPK4

Nice post! ! Synthwave is about simplicity. . And the subtractive Synths that are most successful in this genre trends toward the same philosophy in sound generation

The question behind the question here is probably "what synth includes ready-to-go Synthwave presets?" If you're willing to create your own presets, I've made synthwave with NI Monark, and "accidental synthwave" with Massive. If you've got a sound in your head, there are tons of options to get where you want to go.

Diva!

Synth 1, Korg Legacy

The Michael Oakley Synthwave soundsets for Spire are excellent.

https://reveal-sound.com/store/product/Trilogy

I think a virtual analog soft synth, with really great unison, is essential. Polysix is the only one I have seen mentioned in the thread, so far. Korg Mono/Poly is the best that I know of. Polysix is great, but Mono/Poly can do everything that Polysix can do and more.

Mono/Poly didn't have Retina support, until recently. I actively tried to find a replacement, before the new version came out, because the UI really annoyed me. However, I couldn't find anything that was as good. With good wavetables and a bit of effort, you can get decent results out of Serum. However, Mono/Poly still sounds better.

I had high hopes for Diva. However, the unison ("stack" mode) is not very powerful and it also annihilates your CPU.

Arturia V Collection would give you so much for this style.

I actually consider using Electra 2 now, the fact that you can import your own waveforms and samples makes it extremely useful, and the Arturia CZ V is just awesome

Yea, V Collection gets my vote too

Awesome software

I think I'll give Arturia a try

ANA2, retrologue, sylenth1, any of the synapse ones. Those would be some of my picks.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”