Making music artwork. Alternatives to Adobe?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Affinity apparently doesn't do curved text.

What software for curved text?

Spring Goose wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:51 pm Affinity apparently doesn't do curved text.

https://logosbynick.com/curve-text-with ... -designer/

ralfrobert wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:02 am
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:51 pm Affinity apparently doesn't do curved text.

https://logosbynick.com/curve-text-with ... -designer/
Thankyou very much pal! probably should have googled it first ;)

Change The Text Baseline

Text has a baseline! learn something new every day ;)

If you first create a curved object and then select the text tool, when you hover over the outside edge of the object you should see the icon change to a sine wave. If you then left click, the text you enter will conform to the curve of the object. Then, any transformation you apply to the object will also apply to the text, including 3D mesh transforms.

Affinity Photo would be my first choice over Adobe Photoshop.

pekbro wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:42 am gimp is actually pretty good, but you have to know how to use it. lotta studios use it because you can customize it as much as you like because you have access to the code base. :shrug:
It's not bad and is especially useful if you're modding games and having to convert between more exotic image types.

Unaspected wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:13 am If you first create a curved object and then select the text tool, when you hover over the outside edge of the object you should see the icon change to a sine wave. If you then left click, the text you enter will conform to the curve of the object. Then, any transformation you apply to the object will also apply to the text, including 3D mesh transforms.

Affinity Photo would be my first choice over Adobe Photoshop.

pekbro wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:42 am gimp is actually pretty good, but you have to know how to use it. lotta studios use it because you can customize it as much as you like because you have access to the code base. :shrug:
It's not bad and is especially useful if you're modding games and having to convert between more exotic image types.
Gimps cool, I've actually used it in feature film work. Cinepaint was very prevalent as well back in the day.

I think the GIMP is worth learning about. Because it is - besides Photoshop -
the most versatile graphics program. Curve-like text is a finger exercise
in GIMP. And GIMP also supports the new HEIF-format - Photoshop doesn't.

:wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

That curved text thing is one of those things which also reminds of other stuff I did in the Affinity apps... sometimes, it's really all a bit tedious, when you compare it to Photoshop, or even GIMP in this case. Getting a colored border around something is one of those things as well. In Photoshop Elements, you simply draw the border of a selection. In Affinity Photo, you need to draw a form, then hide the content, and color the border of the form. One of those "let's make things more complicated as they should be" moments I often have in the Affinity stuff. That's why I still have Photoshop Elements installed.

Not saying that everything in the apps are like that. But, I already discovered 2 or 3 things which are like that.

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:19 pm One of those "let's make things more complicated as they should be" moments I often have in the Affinity stuff. That's why I still have Photoshop Elements installed.

Not saying that everything in the apps are like that. But, I already discovered 2 or 3 things which are like that.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you. However, I looked into Krita, suggested in this thread and free. Seems tempting to learn! (For drawing mainly.) https://krita.org/en/features/highlights/
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

...but then again (thinking of Affinity), maybe it's like with our favourite DAWs. I sometimes get annoyed with its shortcomings, try another one and feel GOD I NEED TO GO BACK TO MY DAW! :lol:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I've been playing around with Lunacy vector graphics app a bit lately. Seems very capable, and free, with in-app package purchases, if you want that stuff. Very responsive on my ancient laptop too.
https://icons8.com/articles/free-design-software/
It's possibly worth looking at the legacy Serif software too (the guys behind the Affinity stuff). Decently capable vector graphics, photo editing, document publishing at a palatable price point. Sorry no link, just google Serif design :tu:

I made a whole album cover for an OSC challenge that didn't look half-bad just in The Gimp. @Vurt, you can have your chuckle...

SparkySpark wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 pm Unfortunately I have to agree with you. However, I looked into Krita, suggested in this thread and free. Seems tempting to learn! (For drawing mainly.) https://krita.org/en/features/highlights/
Yeah, Krita has its focus when you draw yourself.
GIMP, on the other hand, is primarily the standard for photos.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I use Corel Painter, Paintshop and Draw. They do have subscription service but you can you don't have to do it.

smd12 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:44 pm I use Corel Painter, Paintshop and Draw. They do have subscription service but you can you don't have to do it.
best option financially, if things arent urgent, is wait and buy them all for £20 or whatever from Humble Bundle...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”