Is it bad to rely on 32-bit plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So the majority of my plugins are already 64bit, but i do have a few oldies that are 32bit but work perfectly well on my 64bit DAW (FL Studio) through their built in jbridge.
I mean, its not like they are suddenly going to stop working one day, right? - there is a mature functional bridge layer that works flawlessly.
What are your thoughts?

If you finish the tracks, it doesn't matter what you used. If you make unfinished tracks and want to "work" on them in 2049, having 32-bit plugins might in theory need replacing if they didn't work anymore with whatever version of Windows then currently in use.
Neither is really a current issue that you would need to spend time on- if it works right now for you, use it to make music.

eventually your hand will be forced by the tech companies no matter what you want. as has been stated over and over... it's not really yours, and you don't own anything virtual, you are just borrowing it for a short time (sometimes a longer time), and it can be taken from you at the tech companies or developers discretion. the only way to keep it at this point is to keep a second machine offline and out of reach of the internet dedicated to specific 32 bit plugs untouched in any other way.

Dasheesh wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 am eventually your hand will be forced by the tech companies no matter what you want. as has been stated over and over... it's not really yours, and you don't own anything virtual, you are just borrowing it for a short time (sometimes a longer time), and it can be taken from you at the tech companies or developers discretion. the only way to keep it at this point is to keep a second machine offline and out of reach of the internet dedicated to specific 32 bit plugs untouched in any other way.
So you are looking at the aspect of licensing, and you have a point regarding that, but i was referring to the technical aspect since most of the 32bit plugins i still use are either freeware or belongs to companies that are now defunct.

Yes, it is very bad. Shame on you.

:P

as long as you are still installing stuff on the machine you have your older plugs on, you will be forced to upgrade to standards, and as long as you are forced to upgrade to standards they will phase them out to what ever standard they want. 32 bit still works for now, but it will be phased out sooner or later, making it not really viable as "reliable" for the long term at this point. but, still great in the near term for forgotten sounds.

Using 32 bit plugins in Bitwig without issues.

The thing about 32 bit only plugins is that development on them has almost certainly stopped. There is really nothing from the 32 bit world that I need or want so have stopped using them but of course there may be some old plugins other people like from that era. All the old plugins I used to like have been replaced by something better so progress marches on.

The very first plugin I ever purchased almost 20 years ago still works on Windows 10 in a DAW with a bit bridge or 32 bit version so it's quite possible those old plugins will run forever.

I'm sure Layzer will have something to say on the matter........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The biggest threat is plugins which the developer still updates in x86 and has no plans for x64 conversion. They're the only ones who can get hit with the Steinberg bomb as of now.

Progress marched all over my PC when I got back in to making music,but I still have some beloved holdovers that are slowly being picked off one by one
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

I'm never giving up my YouWaShock plug.
It's not just a clone of Soundgoodizer.

arkmabat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:48 pm The biggest threat is plugins which the developer still updates in x86 and has no plans for x64 conversion.
That's the issue, which developers are still updating their 32 bit only plugins?
arkmabat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:06 pm I'm never giving up my YouWaShock plug.
It's not just a clone of Soundgoodizer.
Are you sure about that ? "Originally released from a joke website, You Wa Shock ! is actually the SoundGoodizer plugin introduced in FL Studio 8 (skinned differently)",

https://winampheritage.com/plugin/you-wa-shock-/221523

Anyway I've moved on to Maximus which is everything You Wa Shock is and an order of magnitude more. And so it goes for all the old 32 bit plugins I've owned. They've simply been replaced by something better. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

If an x86 plug is left untouched, Steinberg can't cancel it. It looks like only if the developer keeps signing agreements can anything bad happen.

I refuse to believe that it's the exact same plug, even if it is. :ud:

na.

in the world of computers, when stuff gets left behind, some interested hobbyist out there codes up the hack program to keep it working. There is no reason a simple 32>64 bridge thing would stop being made future forward. tons of old outdated things from the 80s get emulated back to life. its everywhere.

people fear all the upgrades and changes, but the truth is the newer better faster just helps keep the old stuff running in the future.

"its not like they are suddenly going to stop working one day, right?"
under Mac OS it's already history, no can do anymore. If an installer even contains 32-bit something something it won't install any kind of way.

Last thing I wanted to work was gsi Mr Ray which is never going to be anything but. Life goes on...

Return to “Instruments”