Free midi arpeggiators that can help with triplet Trap Style hihats

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone

Hope your all doing good! I am searching for any free midi arpeggiators or synths with a midi output that can help me create Trapstyle triplet hihat rolls.

Thanks for all your advice

Regards
Surreal

Any advice?

Why an arpeggiator though? You may want to get a bit more into detail what you are trying to do. It sounds to me as if what you ask for is easily done in your DAW, without any additional plugins.

Hey Chk071 thanks for the reply! I was hoping along the lines of an arp that could do ratcheting.. it is the similar effect to getting that triplet roll.. if you can listen to many of the trap songs it sounds sorta natural and not "preprogrammed" sorta human shuffle triplet feel..

do it in the piano roll grid and humanise?

Not free, but I like the sequencer in XLN XO for that purpose, which while stuck in 4/4 (which most trap is made in) has great groove/humanization controls, and can ratchet individual slots with a single mouse movement. The Beat Combiner can be further used to create variations of the beat. I can drag the MIDI out from the export panel, though I'd love to have a more developed sequencer-only version that spits out MIDI live.

yellowmix wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:13 pm Not free, but I like the sequencer in XLN XO for that purpose, which while stuck in 4/4 (which most trap is made in) has great groove/humanization controls, and can ratchet individual slots with a single mouse movement. The Beat Combiner can be further used to create variations of the beat. I can drag the MIDI out from the export panel, though I'd love to have a more developed sequencer-only version that spits out MIDI live.
This is very interesting and it sounds the closest to what I want to achieve. . Thanks for the advise!

AnX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 pm do it in the piano roll grid and humanise?
That's how I would have done it.

Hi Dave! I am certainly trying but as trap is a 4/4 genre it is difficult to split the grid into triplets.. However I think I will put the time signature in the project in 12/4 and program a triplet roll in like this on the piano roll.. I will try this tomorrow..

surreal wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:21 pm
Hi Dave! I am certainly trying but as trap is a 4/4 genre it is difficult to split the grid into triplets.. However I think I will put the time signature in the project in 12/4 and program a triplet roll in like this on the piano roll.. I will try this tomorrow..
What do ya think Chk071.. could this work?

What DAW do you use? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to get a triplet grid in any competent modern DAW. It's common enough such that I have a hotkey to toggle a triplet grid.

I agree it should be possible to change the grid to a triplet resolution, draw in some notes, and then change the grid to something else. As long as you don't hit 'quantize', it will only affect new notes. So you could go really crazy and combine triplets, quintuplets etc.

In terms of plugins, Hy-Plugins has sequencers that allow subdividing each beat quite flexibly and adjusting the timing. RPE2 could work for you (there is a free version):

https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-rpewin-mac/

I'm lying on the couch so can't test my theory but if you load a sample into serum/vital and link it to an LFO you could increase/decrease the rate synced to tempo AND also use automation to switch between triplets and sync etc
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Return to “Sound Design”