Best MPE controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree that the success or failure of that controller is definitely on how robust the coding is around the joystick response- what registers a note on, and off!, how reliably, what if you bump another joystick, etc... In the videos it seems to work fairly well, but yeah, at this point all the videos I saw are marketing content, not people actually using theres, so hard to get a grasp for what's really going on!

If it's done well, the interface is interesting to me. I'm not looking for an alternative to a keyboard to show off virtuosity, but an interface/instrument that lends itself to note progressions, or accentuations, that are bolstered from the interface itself.

I personally don't care about notes in my music at all, mostly timbre, but as the notes, pitchbend, and 'timbre' MPE parameter can all be used toward timbral means, I think something like this can be interesting, though, if done right. Plus what happens if you drop a bunch of marbles on it, or a larger ball that you use the palm of your hand to move through the field of joysticks?

And if you can remap each joystick to two or four CCs, then it can be super interesting for other things as well.

Likely it isn't worth the price. For $150 or $200, might be worth a try though! So yeah, I'm curious if anyone on here actually ended up with one. Apparently their kickstarter sold out, this is around the time people are supposed to be getting them? There's a used one for sale in a synth shop near me, that's how I found out about it.

Can't purchase Embodme Erea touch as the US type power plug is unavailable on website,,,

Plug Type A (North America) ?

Look like pre-order might be sold out?

C-note wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:36 pm Can't purchase Embodme Erea touch as the US type power plug is unavailable on website,,,

Try it now.

C-note wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:36 pm Can't purchase Embodme Erea touch as the US type power plug is unavailable on website,,,

Does anyone know how long the intro price would be good for on the Erea? I can't buy one now but would like to later this year.

Intro price is extended until the product ships, which will be in late May sometime, according to an email I received.

gondii wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:55 am Does anyone know how long the intro price would be good for on the Erea? I can't buy one now but would like to later this year.

I just cut out a 9.5"x16" cardboard to see where the Erae will fit in my studio.
See signature below.
Both the Erae and the Morph will fit in the drawer below the desktop!

Edit: The Erae can also replace the qwerty Keyboard.

But I am wondering if Sensel will make a larger keyboard.
I asked them and they replied that they have no plans for such a device.

Has anyone compared the velocity and pressure sensitivity of the Erae and the Morph?

I want something that has a very light touch - I have arthritis and really dont want to be tapping with much force. The Linnstrument specifies 50g minimum and people have said it is very sensitive. Is it the one that can respond to the lightest pressure?
The other is this new Erae. It looks as though it can respond to almost no pressure, but has anyone any experience with it?

I also asked sensel to make a double-wide morph that could accomodate a linnstrument style overlay or two of the current overlays side by side (to maintain backwards compatibility and encourage upgrades by their current users)

I wonder which of the more mainstream midi controller companies will make an MPE controller first? It would basically have to be a softsynth company as well so they could bundle hardware and software together - NI or Arturia are the best bets for bringing MPE to the mainstream now that live supports it.

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:55 pm I want something that has a very light touch - I have arthritis and really dont want to be tapping with much force. The Linnstrument specifies 50g minimum and people have said it is very sensitive. Is it the one that can respond to the lightest pressure?
The other is this new Erae. It looks as though it can respond to almost no pressure, but has anyone any experience with it?
if you're willing to give up pressure/velocity and are just looking for a way to do per note bends etc a touch screen might actually be your best bet - I've been having a blast using one to generate MPE lines over here.

MitchK1989 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:32 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:55 pm I want something that has a very light touch - I have arthritis and really dont want to be tapping with much force. The Linnstrument specifies 50g minimum and people have said it is very sensitive. Is it the one that can respond to the lightest pressure?
if you're willing to give up pressure/velocity and are just looking for a way to do per note bends etc a touch screen might actually be your best bet - I've been having a blast using one to generate MPE lines over here.
thanks, but I want velocity and pressure, just my preferred 0 - 100% is most other peoples 0 - 30 %

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 amthanks, but I want velocity and pressure, just my preferred 0 - 100% is most other peoples 0 - 30 %
Similar for me. I like a light touch. But maybe my 0-100 is most peoples 0-50. I have the Linnstrument 128. Love it. It is possible that 100% velocity might be too hard for you. There are some adjustments, but it has been so long since I touched it, I don't remember them at this point.

You know, Roger Linn will be happy to check if there is someone with a Linnstrument who lives near you and is willing to let you try it if there is no shop with one nearby to you. He has done that multiple times in the past. Roger's support is amazing!

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 am
fairlyclose wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 amthanks, but I want velocity and pressure, just my preferred 0 - 100% is most other peoples 0 - 30 %
Similar for me. I like a light touch. But maybe my 0-100 is most peoples 0-50. I have the Linnstrument 128. Love it. It is possible that 100% velocity might be too hard for you. There are some adjustments, but it has been so long since I touched it, I don't remember them at this point.

You know, Roger Linn will be happy to check if there is someone with a Linnstrument who lives near you and is willing to let you try it if there is no shop with one nearby to you. He has done that multiple times in the past. Roger's support is amazing!
thanks I will email Roger Linn and ask him. I doubt any shop near me will have one, they dont have any dealers in Australia.

I reckon you've got Buckley's, mate.
I struggle with arthritic fingers, too. For me, though, it means I can use my Roli for some things but not others. I developed a playing style for it early on, before my arthritis was an issue, where I rest my fingers on the keywaves and gradually apply pressure, which works great for playing pads and the like. You just have to set up the Roli to respond in a way that facilitates that. Right now, though, I've been taking pure glucosamine tablets for a few months and my arthritis is well under control, so I can bash the shit out of my Seaboard without any pain. With the weather down here getting colder, it will be interesting to see if things remain under control but for now I am enjoying the Roli a lot.

Getting old blows goats!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

simplersounds wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:09 pmWhat's the best MPE controller for non keyboardists and/or those looking to interact with different interfaces? :hyper:
So you are not a keyboard player but can you play guitar? Because I think the LInnstrument is for guitarists. I reckon I could get used to it but it seems a lot more fiddly to me, in that you only get little squares to do everything on and I don't like having to constantly look down at my hands when I'm playing on stage. OTOH, even though I would never consider myself a keyboard player, I took to Roli's Seaboard like a duck to water. They had one set up in my local music shop, to play Equator, and it took me exactly one minute to decide I had to have one. I've since had two - I initially bought a Seaboard Rise25, which I replaced after about 18 months with a Seaboard Blocks. I found the smaller Blocks easier to play because I didn't have to stretch my fingers as far to reach the keys, which allowed me to play with more consistent velocity.

I've looked at Sensel Morph but I'd be concerned about how hard and unyielding its surface is - I think you'd get sore fingertips if you used it a lot. The Rolis are really soft and squidgy, you can play them for days.
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 pmBut there is a new kid on the block comming soon:
https://www.embodme.com/
Why haven't Roli sued their arses off? That thing looks EXACTLY like an oversized Lightpad Block. I like the customisability of the thing but the shape is all wrong - it needs to be longer and thinner, not so square. If it was the shape of something like a KeyStep, I reckon I'd be all over it but it's too big and cumbersome as it is. For that money, I'd rather buy 4 x Lightpad M Blocks and stick them together. Actually, I already have two Lightpad Blocks, so I'd only need two more.
Dirk Diggler wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:36 pmLinnstrument vote for me too, but my Seaboard Rise 49 is a close second.
Why do you prefer the Linnstrument? There is nowhere in Australia where I can go and see one for myself, which means I have to rely on other people's impressions so someone with both is ideally suited to giving me some insight. I think if I had one I would only ever use one row of buttons because the idea of tuning strings is completely foreign to me.
pdxindy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:09 pmOther benefits of the Linnstrument:
• Doesn't need a computer.
Well, it sort of does, really. It can't make sound on its own and it needs power, so it has to be connected to something to work.
• Has no configuration software and all the configuration is done on the Linnstrument.
I see that as a disadvantage, really. Compare it a Lightblock, where you can create and store multiple set-up and switch between them on the fly.
• Linnstrument has USB and DIN Midi so I can plug it directly into any older synth or other gear that has a midi in.
• It is designed to be repairable. For example, one can order a replacement surface and change it oneself.
These things are definitely advantages. Support with Roli is a real concern, in that they do not currently have stock of anything, so you can' t buy a Seaboard direct, you'd have to find a store that was selling them, and no music shops in Australia seem to carry them any more, although you can buy some of their range from our local equivalent of Best Buy (JB Hi-Fi). That said, if I bought a Linnstrument I'd have to order it from overseas, so getting support if it breaks would be prohibitively difficult and I'd effectively have no warranty.

Anyway, what I Reckon you might want to do is get your hands on a Roli Lightpad Block M and see how you go. They go for around US$150 on eBay and it will give you a good insight into what you are likely to get out of any other MPE controller. I bought the Songmaker Kit which includes a Seaboard Block, a LIghtpad Block and a Live Control Block. As a bundle it is really good value and gives you lots of options. I even got them to swap the Live Block for a Loop Block, which is a better fit for my needs. I've since added another Lightpad Block to it, for even more options. I'll probably get another Control Block, too, because they are really cheap on eBay and it will make my set-up more symmetrical.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”