Recreate Ben Delay-I never felt so right and the drop of Jax Jones-Breathe

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I isolate a single note of those sounds I notice that they are really punchy without hearing a hitting transient and also very stable in tone. I tried combinations of FM synthesis and slap delay effects but nothing seems to work. Anybody familiar with this type of sounds?
https://youtu.be/uGhKqb2Ow3E
0:40
Last edited by thraikos on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Try to post links and time stamps of what you're on about to make sure we know what you mean.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

I wonder if someone knows how to remake the synth bass that starts in 0:40

I would help you if I could. Choos knows all about basses. I know him as a great fan of basses of all sorts but he's busy atm. He'll be back, though.

I can only guess that this will involve the right settings for the right (possibly mix/volume automated) compressors, a specific kind of distortion and lots of drive added, all set up just below the threshold to prevent any clipping. We need to avoid clipping with basses when we boost them or otherwise they will sound very crappy!
Other than that I believe the bass sound is based on a saw and there's no transient involved here. FM won't do the trick in my opinion. It's also not a kick bass, I think, because there is no transient, just a bass, but even here I might take a wrong guess and I don't want to teach the wrong stuff. Sorry 'bout that! Let's wait and see...
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

Thank you for your reply. Let me know what you mean about '' specific kind of distortion''. Do you have something specific in your mind?

This is pretty close. bit of a slow video because I'm really tired.
https://vimeo.com/538187222
BA - Jax Jones - Breathe.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oh and not sure if I mentioned it in the video but you wanna play these notes over and over till you get a sample that sounds just right because every time it differs somewhat and then use just that sample for that note in your song

Very nice approach with a close-to-original concrete result! :tu:

The only thing I would add here is a little side note, i. e. that you wouldn't necessarily HAVE TO use FM here, not even on osc1 only.
I think you might actually get the same effects of adding the right harmonics to all oscs with the right kind of distortion(s) (+ maybe saturation filters + EQing). This might also at least reduce any keytracking issues. However, Vital and other synths only allow for one instance of distortion, so you are fairly limited and the above approach led to good results while consequently staying with the limitations Vital has to offer. That's a good thing!

In total you could see that there simply IS NO transient, just a bit of filter movement because it's not a kick bass...
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

CHOOS you sound really tired thank you for your time. Its pretty close.
What about that?
3:07
https://youtu.be/XD9h53oEVG8
Same approach?

This one is simply 2 saws. 2nd one one octave higher, a lowpass filter and some reverb

That's good enough. Thank you so much for your time!!

Return to “Sound Design”