VST or M4L manually triggered delay

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone, I've been searching for a while all over the place a simple delay that would have this feature :
In the mid 80's I had a Boss DE200 and at the back there's a "trig in" jack input and by using a TR808 rhythm machine (for example) I could trigger the repeats of the delay according to what I was programming on a certain instrument (say the cowbell) by using its individual output and instead of getting regular repeats from the delay (1/4, 1/2, 1 etc) or multitap delay which are tricky to change in real time, I could get the repeats whenever I chose (by programming them in real time on the TR808), but still getting the deterioration of the sound on each repeat like a "vintage" delay does.

So I'm not looking for a manual tap button that only changes the tempo (which I don't want) but a delay where you could trigger from a midi note for example when you want the repeats.

does anyone know of such a delay VST (or max for live) with this option ?
thanks!

Looking at a description, it sounds like this was the basis of this was tempo syncing the delay to the trig out clock of something else. A lot of plugins can do this based on the DAW tempo anyway, with some sort of divider/multiplier, so that part can probably work in most plugins.

Automating the plugin parameters as necessary will probably give you a lot of the variance you want, and if your DAW allows mapping of a MIDI note to bypass or whatever, you can probably disable/enable the repeats that way, or alternately you could automate the mix amount.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt, thanks but I'm what I'm asking is totally different from what you understood and propose.

"tempo syncing the delay to the trig out clock of something else"
no, it was not a clock.

Muting the effect output is nothing like getting the repeat whenever I want it.

What the DE200 did was and what i'm looking for is CREATING the repeat whenever I trigger it.

I'm having trouble understanding.

Maybe a buffer is what you have in mind?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

By the way the repeat of the delay of the Boss DE200 could be triggered by a pedal aswell, not just a 5V input.
Check its features on the net, it's its most distinctive feature with the hold function which was like a sampler.
So you could whether trigger the sample on hold whenever you wanted OR trigger the repeat of the delay whenever you pressed a pedal or send an impulse in the trig input.

"Maybe a buffer is what you have in mind?"
No, a buffer doesn't have the deterioration of the feedback repeats of a delay.

The DE200 had this unique feature, I was hoping some VST delay plugin would have emulated this by now. Maybe it has, hence my question here.
Thanks for trying to help !

midi triggered or audio input with adjustable threshold?...or optionally both?

Midi triggered, or assignable

I know it's not what you're asking for here (which is a really cool concept), but the DENPA Manual Delay has manual control over individual taps.

I'll dig around, see if I can find something that more closely matches what you're looking for.

May be I don't understand what you mean... The single thing that comes to my mind is Glitch 2 or something similar.

You don't need to use all the "bells and whistles". You just activate delay in any sequence and trigger this sequence with delay by MIDI (keyboard etc.).

Am I wrong?

It IS a buffer. Apparently a few of them.

https://youtu.be/-C2fvMyxwj4

dangayle wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:58 pm It IS a buffer. Apparently a few of them.
I don't understand the phrase "a buffer, a few of them ", but anyway it's NOT a buffer, unless you consider all delays as buffers, which they are in a way, but AGAIN : the sound gets worse on each repeat in that type of delay unit, which you can't really hear on the video you chose, because the input sound is a synth, but try on a voice and you'll hear what I mean.
Also yes, if you press "hold" you have a buffer, but that's not the use I want from it, I want the delay
Last edited by chris j on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lobanov wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 pm May be I don't understand what you mean... The single thing that comes to my mind is Glitch 2 or something similar.

You don't need to use all the "bells and whistles". You just activate delay in any sequence and trigger this sequence with delay by MIDI (keyboard etc.).

Am I wrong?
You're not wrong in the result but it's just way too complicated.
imagine : you say "test" in you microphone, when you press a midi note , independantly of any tempo, your delay repeats "test" , still in good quality, you press your midi note again, "test" comes again, but the sounds gets worse, like an analog delay does, you press it again let's say twice like a double click, you hear "test test" with a dub quality echo, all this independantly of any static rhythm. You can even trigger it without running your DAW.
That was the first delay I bought 36 years ago, and got many multieffects since, and been using DAWs for 25 years, but never found that in any plugins, and suddenly I thought why not ask here ?
Last edited by chris j on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dangayle wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 pm I know it's not what you're asking for here (which is a really cool concept), but the DENPA Manual Delay has manual control over individual taps.

I'll dig around, see if I can find something that more closely matches what you're looking for.
yes, now we're getting closer :)
It's close, but like you said it's still not exactly it, because changing the triggers involves a lot of mouse action, compared to just pressing down a key and making crazy repeats independently of a tempo
And as this is a sequencer by nature it cycles.

thanks !

While I don't have any suggestions for plugins that can do it, is the following what you're looking for, just to see if I've got the idea right in my own head and maybe to help others making suggestions conceptualise it.

I'm just calling it a buffer here because it's digital, but it could also be a segment of tape if this was a tape delay. If you imagine a typical delay set to infinite feedback on a short piece of audio it goes like this: your sound enters a buffer, this buffer constantly 'loops' with its output connected to its input, so each repeat is a little more distorted due to taking another journey through the circuitry - classic dub delay stuff. What you're looking for here is a device where, instead of having a buffer automatically looping when it reaches the end, you want to trigger each 'loop' through the circuitry manually.

Is this right? It sounds quite interesting if so, and I can't really think of an easy way to do it. The best I've got is recording a 'typical' dub style delay as it repeats to blowout, splitting the resulting recording into small segments the same length as each delay, and then spreading the segments out, manually placing each segment where desired.

some sort of triggered buffer, with pitch controlling some sort of saturation?

Return to “Effects”