4370 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:02 pm

Ploki wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:34 am
codec_spurt wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:09 am
snipped
i think this explains it.
I guess if "gate" expands the dynamic range (if you consider -infinity dB FS like, infinite dynamic range) so does the ducker

Yes, that is what I said. Both gates and expanders do the same job. No one will disagree with this. They both EXPAND dynamic range. Compressors/Limiters REDUCE dynamic range. No one will disagree with this point either. All else is semantics and confusion that I'm still personally trying to understand myself.

That chart!

Lol!

:party:

I'll let you know when I've moved on in my understanding of UPWARD or DOWNWARD expansion. And compression. Maybe it has something to do with if the signal is above/below a certain range? How it reacts? I dunno to be honest. I really don't. I haven't got that far. But I know about it. Still not got to that point in my greater reveals.

I guess if "gate" expands the dynamic range (if you consider -infinity dB FS like, infinite dynamic range) so does the ducker

A gate expands dynamic range of audio signal by a greater amount because it reduces to infinity (silence), compared to a 'ducker' or 'expander'. A Ducker also expands dynamic range by reducing audio signal at a certain threshold, but usually not infinitely, or it would be termed a gate. Both Duckers and Gates are used in the broadcast industry as well as the audio recording industry.

You are absolutely correct in that statement.

It runs contrary to your earlier statement though that I responded to.

Thanks for the chart!

:o

KVRAF
3615 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:37 pm

It does contradict my previous statement, because i don't consider -infinity dBFS necessarily "more dynamic range" :)

in Fab Pro-G, gate mode does 100dB at 100:1 ratio, and Ducker does 100db at 1:100 ratio (But over the threshold) so it's exactly the same.
What's counterintuitive is that it "expands it" to completely silence when it's LOUDER instead of Quieter.

good talk

KVRAF
3730 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm

G8 does this pretty creatively!

KVRist
244 posts since 22 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Kilohearts gate inverts it's action when you click the "flip" button

KVRer
15 posts since 28 Jan, 2020

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:39 am

Ploki wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:34 am
codec_spurt wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:09 am
So, to draw the distinction further, if we take the statement by iZotope I quoted above as gospel -

An expander increases the dynamic range of a signal by lowering the level of audio material that is below a set threshold.

We could extrapolate this statement to be correct:

A ducker increases the dynamic range of a signal by lowering the level of audio material that is above a set threshold.

Would that be a fair assumption to make? If you were forced, gun to head, to make a distinction?

Then again, where is the line abstracted down in software knobs?

As above, so below.

One man's "-01" on the scale is the same as another man's "+01", I guess. Right?

Because we can take things that are just below, or just above that signal point, and raise or lower them further, respectively, interdependently, or should that rather be dependently?

When I look up the meaning of both of those words, the semantic explanation seems to be the same thing.

I think, therefore I am confused!
:dog:
thats a great chart, thanks for that :tu:

KVRAF
4135 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:54 am

Ableton's Gate has "flip" switch which makes it silence signal above or below the threshold, as you please.
The problem with this chart is that it plots static transmission graphs, while the real sounds are dynamic and so are the envelopes of all mentioned devices.

A simple compressor with long attack time and some gain may not reduce, but increase the dynamic range, as it compresses the later part of the sound (making it quiter) while boosting the beginning of a sound (making it louder).
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Effects”