Getting bored of Fl Studio... What should I try?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is it common to get bored of your DAW? Ive been using for so long and made so much stuff. But is it a good idea to check out and learn an other programs? like maybe the workflow will change how I write songs and creativity? what do you guys think?

Or is it a good idea to use multiple stuff? like in college I used reason with logic. I was thinking of getting reason again and using with fl studio. I just dont know if this is more like a writers block thing, like a creative slump or will a new DAW actually change things up?
Last edited by handoman on Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

probably is common around here, all kind of people talk about using several

I'm frankly a bit sick of Cubase but it's like democracy, the worst system on earth except for everything else tried

Like I love the built in instruments with fl studio and I can do so much and work so fast. So, im thinking this is just a ME thing and not a software thing lol

well, my slumps have to be pretty much something with me, albeit sometimes it was I don't want to deal with all of this, all these moving parts... but that's within the span of a project I'm struggling with. In itself, and all buggy irritations notwithstanding, the software is neutral. I can actually set something up fast and get going.
but, I kind of like its GUI, the way I have it looking. REAPER would have me doing hard drugs, trying to die

it should be noted I do through-composing and linear, rather than literal repetition of patterns, so it's going to be more or less the same in another application, ie., I'm not going to be newly inspired by clip launchers or something wildly variant for me.

My idea was, Maybe writing music for a purpose(rather than just myself) I recently trying to get into fiverr and freelancing for my graphic design. I was thinking is someone gave me something to make, a goal and I made it for them (paid or not) it would be a new interesting feeling for me. So i went to some game dev sites looking for peeps who need music for their games lol

but is there really DAW that can can do thing any other cant do?

I moved from FL Studio to Reaper. Had trouble moving to other DAWs because of the piano roll + key shortcuts, but Reaper has enough customizability that you can change all of that to be very close.

Had a conversation with someone about this once. I came to the theory that it's that need for a change of scene. Compared to writing songs on a home recorder,renting studio time, maybe multiple studios,one place has this expensive gear you don't get your hands on much,the other something else

Fast forward to you mostly in the same place, especially during a pandemic, sat in front of the same DAW again
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

My personal conviction is that people shouldn't assign their creativity to their tools, even though their tools sort of dictate the direction they are going most of the time. Sitting down and thinking of different ways of writing and being creative within the fixed frame of your toolset is much more productive than actually switching up your DAW or toolset for some short lived inspiration. You could replicate almost anything in anything, and getting that temporary inspiration from novelty is a poor substitute from developing your creative process in the abstract. Stay with your tools and develop yourself artistically instead of switching tools while hoping for a quick fix (imo!). A creative slump can be a great opportunity to refine what you actually want to do, and to overcome a creative challenge. Let the tool fall into the background, it isn't that interesting.

Another point: Blandness is by far the #1 issue today, not lack of technical capability or the limitation of your tools. So expanding your capabilities or switching them up is a really bad thing to do artistically. The longer you stay with one thing, the deeper the feedback will be between yourself, your tools and your output - and the more meaningful your output will be, generally speaking.

handoman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:56 pm My idea was, Maybe writing music for a purpose(rather than just myself) I recently trying to get into fiverr and freelancing for my graphic design. I was thinking is someone gave me something to make, a goal and I made it for them (paid or not) it would be a new interesting feeling for me. So i went to some game dev sites looking for peeps who need music for their games lol

but is there really DAW that can can do thing any other cant do?
Bitwig has some tricks up it's sleeve that I think would be very hard to pull of in most DAWs. It also has plenty of weaknesses.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I'm majorly reliant on Cubase's Time Warp implementation and have a workflow with it and the particular UI of it. Recently someone posted a question about Logic's implementation of it, which is somewhat new, and it's apparently rather half-assed. I don't have anything impelling me to seek change anyway. At one time, nothing else did this. Others followed suit, less uncommon today.

+1 on everything @cantaloupe said. :clap:
handoman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:56 pm but is there really DAW that can can do thing any other cant do?
Fundamentally, no, but some there are differences like some are better suited to midi sequencing and others for mixing and recording audio. Some offer more instruments than others. It really boils down to the features and workflow that are most appealing to you.

You can likely find Reason Lite Rack pretty cheap here on KVR as it has been a freebie a few times in different places. You can use it as a plugin for FL Studio.

You might also want to check out Trancit's YouTube channel about FL Studio. - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTAVjJ ... Q/featured
There's a related thread here on KVR, too. - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=560321

"thinking is someone gave me something to make, a goal and I made it for them (paid or not) it would be a new interesting feeling for me."
Well, I have an anecdote. I had a long catch-up phone call with one of my close friends. He proposed a collaboration, long story short it had to be exchanging .wavs and some back and forth (we'da preferred live improv). It got me out of my doldrums for sure, and a new lease on life for a project that was kinda stymied, as a side effect. But it sounds like what I'll have made anyway because apparently I have a strong personality musically.

Doing a job was not a new or interesting feeling for me, there's hardly time for a feeling with a deadline. I've been under pressure before, it's not that fun or relaxing. You put your head down and hopefully no one gets hurt.

Go for it! Trying another DAW may make you appreciate FL more if you return to it after!

Know the feeling. Usually I take a break for about 3 weeks then.

handoman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:34 pm is it common to get bored of your DAW? Ive been using for so long and made so much stuff. But is it a good idea to check out and learn an other programs? like maybe the workflow will change how I write songs and creativity? what do you guys think?

Or is it a good idea to use multiple stuff? like in college I used reason with logic. I was thinking of getting reason again and using with fl studio. I just dont know if this is more like a writers block thing, like a creative slump or will a new DAW actually change things up?
To me this is normal. You are looking at the same screen for years unlike old days where you have a variety of keys, mixer etc. If you have already don't have any and have the funds and space, try a couple of used cheap hardware units to distribute your attention and production time away from the computer. Might be a second hand cheap synth, sampler or a groove box. It is fun and rewarding. Trying a different DAW helps sometimes but comes with the frustration of not doing things like you are used to. You need to treat it as free time where you try to have some fun :)
Last edited by ozinga on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”