Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

sacer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 am I think softube must have nailed the 106 bether than Roland cloud
I'm comparing it with the Juno-106 plugout in my System-8 right now. The patches I've compared so far sound pretty close to identical…which is a good thing, because Roland's emulation is excellent too. However, I would definitely recommend Softube over the Roland Cloud (plugin) version, because Model 84 is much more CPU efficient.

As for the others…Arturia and TAL are both great, but they're Juno-60 emulations (some patches translate well between 60/106, and some don't). Cherry Audio's DCO-106 is decent, but it's not in the same league as the rest.
Stormchild

db3 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 amPOLYPHONICICON
Thanks for that, it was enough to tip me over the edge into buying :D

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impressive sound quality judging from the audio examples on their site, for instance the #03 and #15 pads :tu:

Yes, but how does it compare to:

1. Diva
2. Tal
3. Roland 106
4. Roland 60
5. Roland Zenology
6. Cherry Audio
7. Arturia

...anything else I missed? I mean, even if it's excellent and really nails it, it's a one osc synth with chorus. I'm sure they're all pretty damn good. That said, I'll check it out, but holy smokes add this onto the list of things we didn't need more emulations of. A Jupiter-4 or Jupiter-6 would've been way cooler IMO. Maybe a JX-10 or MKS-80. It's weird how everyone gravitates towards the same Roland polysynths, when there's quite a few out there nobody's done yet and I think there would be a market for.

does the demo licence should come to ILOK? im not recieving mine for few hours. But i see issued Demo licence in my softube account when i login.

EDIT: sorted all out and demoed. This synth sounds great for what it is being 1 oscillator (well 3 if we count pulse and sub as separate oscillators) with 1 envelope, 1 filter, 1 lfo synth. Its a very limited synth.

Something to think about, If you are in search for a vintage sounds as a matter of fact free synths like Vital, Synth1, OBXD, MonoFury, Tal Noisemaker, U-he Tyrell N6 o Podolski will probably do a great job aswel + additional functionality.
Last edited by accessdune3 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

is it revolutionary?

ohHh....is seems pretty ! i hope it will be at least good as their moog.
time for me to leave KVR.Bye bye ! 03/2022 :phones:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 pm Yes, but how does it compare to:

1. Diva
2. Tal
3. Roland 106
4. Roland 60
5. Roland Zenology
6. Cherry Audio
7. Arturia

...anything else I missed? I mean, even if it's excellent and really nails it, it's a one osc synth with chorus. I'm sure they're all pretty damn good. That said, I'll check it out, but holy smokes add this onto the list of things we didn't need more emulations of. A Jupiter-4 or Jupiter-6 would've been way cooler IMO. Maybe a JX-10 or MKS-80. It's weird how everyone gravitates towards the same Roland polysynths, when there's quite a few out there nobody's done yet and I think there would be a market for.
I can't say anything about Arturia and Roland because I won't even test their stuff. But Roland are more of a problem in terms of CPU load, from what I heard. Not to mention their business model...

Cherry Audio has (or had?) aliasing, right?

I never liked the sound of Diva, frankly. I have tested the demo a lot, but just never really warmed to it. It doesn't sound pleasant to me.

The Tal is nice, but I agree that any strict modulation is by nature rather limited. That's why I can't see myself buying this new 1-envelope synth for 99 bucks, either. My Retrologue 2 sounds almost as good in my view, costs the same, but comes with loads of additional features.
I would buy Model 84 for 10 bucks, though 8)

e-crooner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:02 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:26 pm Yes, but how does it compare to:

1. Diva
2. Tal
3. Roland 106
4. Roland 60
5. Roland Zenology
6. Cherry Audio
7. Arturia

I can't say anything about Arturia and Roland because I won't even test their stuff. But Roland are more of a problem in terms of CPU load, from what I heard. Not to mention their business model...

Cherry Audio has (or had?) aliasing, right?

I never liked the sound of Diva, frankly. I have tested the demo a lot, but just never really warmed to it. It doesn't sound pleasant to me.

The Tal is nice, but I agree that any strict modulation is by nature rather limited. That's why I can't see myself buying this new 1-envelope synth for 99 bucks, either. My Retrologue 2 sounds almost as good in my view, costs the same, but comes with loads of additional features.
I would buy Model 84 for 10 bucks, though 8)
Modulation possibilities increase exponentially if you open the modules in Softube Modular though.

So I would have to buy something in addition to this plugin?

e-crooner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 pm So I would have to buy something in addition to this plugin?
If you wanted to use it in Softube modular (then yes). Or use the chorus effect in Amp Room (then also yes). Did they need to tie the chorus to Amp Room? Nope. That's what they call synergy and vertical integration between product lines.

Oh wow, another emulation of a classic.
How refreshing.

At least it's not another Minimoog emulation .. oh wait, they already did that :hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Phenomenal. Instant purchase incredible fidelity. This feels like I own the synth again. I wasn't so interested in the 72 but now I am, even though I already own the Legend. Curious about Starsky's comparison there.

I'm also more intrigued about Softubes modular after this. I can see them adding modules that don't exist elsewhere which makes me more curious about their vcv rack impl.

edit: Cherry Audio's seemed like a quick take on it. I put that at great Reaktor module level of effort. Arturia's was somewhat stiff, don't have Rolands. I don't think it's a fair comparison for uHe to say Diva really attempted it, likewise TAL. I will not ever choose a cloud offering, I don't care if that's the only source for it, I will never purchase a subscription for audio.

Return to “Instruments”