Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

Bought... Good intro price too.

Roland version is not great. It NAILS the chorus but other than that I dislike it. I own a 106. I might try this.

Trying to pick one of these two, which one do you think sounds better, and more Juno like:

Softube Model 84, or TAL U-No-LX ?

Thanks.

U-No-LX is not a Juno 106 emulation
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

TAL sounds good but it has a weird stereo thing going on. It almost sounds like an artificial stereo widenening plugin like waves S1 was attached to the output. I wouldn't use it as a main Juno plugin but it blends very well with the Arturia one (and I'm sure the other Juno plugs too) and I like using both simultaneously in songs for different flavors of the same thing.

functionform wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:30 pm Phenomenal. Instant purchase incredible fidelity. This feels like I own the synth again. I wasn't so interested in the 72 but now I am, even though I already own the Legend. Curious about Starsky's comparison there.

I'm also more intrigued about Softubes modular after this. I can see them adding modules that don't exist elsewhere which makes me more curious about their vcv rack impl.

edit: Cherry Audio's seemed like a quick take on it. I put that at great Reaktor module level of effort. Arturia's was somewhat stiff, don't have Rolands. I don't think it's a fair comparison for uHe to say Diva really attempted it, likewise TAL. I will not ever choose a cloud offering, I don't care if that's the only source for it, I will never purchase a subscription for audio.
Starsky said the 72 and Legend were basically tied. He couldn't choose between them.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm U-No-LX is not a Juno 106 emulation
Yeah. True. I didn't notice it's the Juno 60.

So, how good is the Softube Model 84 (Roland Juno 106 Emulation) ?

Muziksculp wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:11 am
Aloysius wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm U-No-LX is not a Juno 106 emulation
Yeah. True. I didn't notice it's the Juno 60.

So, how good is the Softube Model 84 (Roland Juno 106 Emulation) ?
If you watch the two videos from the start of the thread then both Starsky Carr and Matt Johnson think its spot on. Starsky even tests against the hardware 106 and gets confused which one he is listening to :)

functionform wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:30 pm edit: Cherry Audio's seemed like a quick take on it. I put that at great Reaktor module level of effort. Arturia's was somewhat stiff, don't have Rolands. I don't think it's a fair comparison for uHe to say Diva really attempted it, likewise TAL. I will not ever choose a cloud offering, I don't care if that's the only source for it, I will never purchase a subscription for audio.
The Roland 60/106 emulations are excellent, but Roland Cloud itself is not great. On top of being a subscription, the whole thing is a shoddy, buggy mess. It's a shame, because a lot of their ACB emulations are really good, but the System-8 hardware (for poly synths) and System-1 or boutiques (for the rest) are the best way to use them. I still use the service for some of the other stuff (System-100, SH2, ProMars, XV5080), but it doesn't feel like a great value.

I thought Arturia did a pretty good job. I compared/copied quite a few patches from the Juno-106 plugout (I know they're not based on the same hardware, but a lot of patches do translate quite well), and with some tweaking I can make them sound nearly identical. The chorus is not quite as good; it lacks a touch of width/depth, but it's not bad.

DCO-106 is the least convincing of the bunch. Doesn't hold up that well when compared to the others.

Softube's version is, of course, stellar. It's at least as good as Roland's, and far more CPU efficient. I'll have to spend more time with them to pick out the differences.
Stormchild

I watched the Starsky Carr video showing the Softube Model 84, he also shows that it is possible to split two sounds, or layer the them, where on the GUI are the split/layer controls ?

I didn't buy it yet, but plan to do so soon.

Thanks.

Muziksculp wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:04 am I watched the Starsky Carr video showing the Softube Model 84, he also shows that it is possible to split two sounds, or layer the them, where on the GUI are the split/layer controls ?
There is no split or layering mode. The original hardware doesn't have that either.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:28 am
Muziksculp wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:04 am I watched the Starsky Carr video showing the Softube Model 84, he also shows that it is possible to split two sounds, or layer the them, where on the GUI are the split/layer controls ?
There is no split or layering mode. The original hardware doesn't have that either.
That's right, but he mentions it, and plays two different patches split on his Montage. So I'm guessing he used two instances of the Model 84, and assigned them ranges on his controller. That was a bit confusing, since I didn't see any controls for splitting/layering sounds.

Thanks.

Matt Johnson also referred to a split function in his video so it does appear to be in the software. Perhaps it is just two instances split on the controller after all. Cant really tell.

Up until now Roland's 106 was the only one which got the chorus right (to my ears). This is equally good, and it's a shame Softube appear to have skipped the opportunity to throw in the chorus as a true standalone plugin.

Model 84 generally sounds slightly brighter and louder than Roland's 106 plugin. Turn Rolands "condition" knob all the way down to match closer, and nudge the volume up a bit. They're close enough that (for someone picking between both) the main selection factors are likely going to be things other than sound quality. If you're looking for more differences then you're going to have to spend time kicking around the edges with resonance etc.

Just as with their Moog, outside of the modular angle, Softube tries to stick to the original more. Unlike Roland they also include all 128 original factory presets, along with arguably more "vintagey" other presets (Softube include no FX outside of the chorus.. ).

In terms of price comparison, a lifetime (of the service!) Roland key, for the 106 is (iirc) $149. Though anyone who signed up prior to 2019 is effectively getting two lifetime keys for every year of Ultimate membership (but some will be maxing out at 10 keys soon.. ). So, in that sense, Roland can actually work out cheaper on a non-sale price, but only with those big caveats. Also, no perpetual activation whereas Softube is perpetual (they provide 3 iLok licenses.. )

Not of a fan of the "dusty" UI look with the fingerprints. Not terrible looking, but would prefer something with a tad more contrast. CPU use is also relatively good, to the point where you're kind of wishing they'd provide a 12 note polyphony mode.

Full marketing marks for getting two of the better YT synth demo'ers (Matt Johnson and Alex Ball) on board. Matt, in particular, runs through a whole bunch of track possibilities in short time and, if you're inclined to like the synth at all, does a good job selling it.

canadian_moose wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:57 am Matt Johnson also referred to a split function in his video so it does appear to be in the software. Perhaps it is just two instances split on the controller after all. Cant really tell.
There is definitely no split mode in the plugin itself. Must be two instances.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”