Help Removing Weird Phaser/LFO Effect From System-8 Bass Patch

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you send me the patch I will check it out. PM me with it or post it somewhere.

I had a question about the D-50 plugin and never received an answer from Roland's support. I emailed them about it in January of this year and later in March.

Anyway, I had noticed it flips/inverts the sawtooth waveform (on an Init patch) every other time you play a note. I noticed as I thought I heard a difference each time I played note on my keyboard, so I put s(M)exoscope on the track to check and I could what was happening. Maybe the hardware synth behaved the same way, but I don't have one to compare it to, so wasn't sure.

The manual doesn't have much in the details department, but I did check it out. I think maybe it is something to do with the first oscillator. You have Saw2 selected for that one, a multi-saw/supersaw type, and the Color knob detunes the waveforms in it.

Maybe it is something related to the phase of osc1 with all the saws being played. I am not sure what's going on exactly (again, not the best manual..) but if you switch that one to Saw (versus Saw2) then it doesn't seem bad at all (if you don't want that behavior).

With Saw2 it still seems to have that very slight phase effect even if you turn the Color setting all the way down, and Mod is set to Man (I am guessing that means "Manual", so it's not like the LFO is doing it, or an envelope). I thought it might be more like Saw1 if the Color setting was turned all the way down, but I guess not. It's like something is modulating it that I can't find, or they just have it hardwired to do that (to be more more analog-like I guess) and it can't be controlled.

Examigan wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:31 pm The manual doesn't have much in the details department, but I did check it out. I think maybe it is something to do with the first oscillator. You have Saw2 selected for that one, a multi-saw/supersaw type, and the Color knob detunes the waveforms in it.

Maybe it is something related to the phase of osc1 with all the saws being played. I am not sure what's going on exactly (again, not the best manual..) but if you switch that one to Saw (versus Saw2) then it doesn't seem bad at all (if you don't want that behavior).

With Saw2 it still seems to have that very slight phase effect even if you turn the Color setting all the way down, and Mod is set to Man (I am guessing that means "Manual", so it's not like the LFO is doing it, or an envelope). I thought it might be more like Saw1 if the Color setting was turned all the way down, but I guess not. It's like something is modulating it that I can't find, or they just have it hardwired to do that (to be more more analog-like I guess) and it can't be controlled.
Thank you.

I guess the alternative is to find a similar sound from another VST and use that instead... do you know where I can find a similar sounding saw/square synth bass?

Have you tried Diva? That was the first one I thought of, but I am sure there are a few others you could check out.

You could try to replicate the System-8 preset in a synth of your choice, which has a similar architecture.

You seem to have 3 oscillators on (probably free-running ones), with multiple waves, fine detune, certain color and variation settings, etc. I am not surprised there is movement in your sound :hihi:

e-crooner wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:21 pm You seem to have 3 oscillators on (probably free-running ones), with multiple waves, fine detune, certain color and variation settings, etc. I am not surprised there is movement in your sound :hihi:
Is it possible to get the same sound without the modulation occurring?

What happens if you turn off all but one oscillator and use just a single wave in it?

e-crooner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm What happens if you turn off all but one oscillator and use just a single wave in it?
It becomes quite an ugly sounding bass and still has modulation - I think it's built into the software unfortunately. :(

That is strange indeed.

Luckily there are lots of alternatives out there these days :)

e-crooner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 pm That is strange indeed.

I believe it has something to do with the "ACB" function (analog circuit based). Strange indeed and quite annoying as this is the perfect sounding bass I've been needing for a while... do you have any suggestions for alternatives where I can find other strong saw synth basses?

jamesjams1212 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:23 am

I believe it has something to do with the "ACB" function (analog circuit based). Strange indeed and quite annoying as this is the perfect sounding bass I've been needing for a while... do you have any suggestions for alternatives where I can find other strong saw synth basses?
Just made a similar bass in Retrologue 2, based on the settings you used in your screenshot, although I am not sure what variation, color etc. stand for. I forgot to switch to the 12db filter, though, just imagine it a little brighter :hihi:

https://app.box.com/s/ox7pkfqswzy0dj52by4ywnowxa7mpomb

e-crooner wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:00 pm
jamesjams1212 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:23 am

Just made a similar bass in Retrologue 2, based on the settings you used in your screenshot, although I am not sure what variation, color etc. stand for. I forgot to switch to the 12db filter, though, just imagine it a little brighter :hihi:

https://app.box.com/s/ox7pkfqswzy0dj52by4ywnowxa7mpomb
Wow this sounds amazing! Could you please share the preset with me? :o

Sure, didn't know you had Retrologue 2 :)

https://app.box.com/s/3iwaolyn6fdtys4lkv433lfww6ke1xvk

Return to “Instruments”