cmDongle is about to expire in 10 days ??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, so, you see your employers business partners and clients as your friends... understood. :)

I never did, but, hey, whatever floats you, and others boat. I don't think many here really understand what running a business means, but, I think enough discussions about that have been already held here, so, no need to start another one.

Just a hint: You don't develop audio software plugins to make a lot of money.

Calenberger wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:24 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:11 am
Calenberger wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:43 am Some developers seem to see their customers as foes and not as friends...
Just wondering, but... do you see your employers business partners or clients as "friends"?
When your company is based on recurring customer business (as most of the companies are) then you should do everything to keep your customers happy and treat them as kind of friends. Otherwise your company will sooner or later crumble. Short answer: yes.
As someone who runs their own business and deals directly with clients, I can confirm this. Maybe friend is not quite the right word, but definitely friendly acquaintances. I haven't done this myself but some people in my field do things like have holiday parties, etc. for their clients, to make them seem more like friends and hopefully translate that friendliness to their business relationships (or at least they did until you couldn't deduct entertainment anymore on your taxes...).

As for Avenger/Codemeter... sigh. This is why I'm still on 1.4.10, and making the decision to phase it out in favor of Pigments/Rapid. (And, incidentally, why I will probably never upgrade Reason past Intro, as that version doesn't require a CodeMeter install...)

ztrauq wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:40 am
Calenberger wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:43 am Some developers seem to see their customers as foes and not as friends...
Just wondering, but... do you see your employers business partners or clients as "friends"?
When your company is based on recurring customer business (as most of the companies are) then you should do everything to keep your customers happy and treat them as kind of friends. Otherwise your company will sooner or later crumble. Short answer: yes.
As someone who runs their own business and deals directly with clients, I can confirm this. Maybe friend is not quite the right word, but definitely friendly acquaintances. I haven't done this myself but some people in my field do things like have holiday parties, etc. for their clients, to make them seem more like friends and hopefully translate that friendliness to their business relationships (or at least they did until you couldn't deduct entertainment anymore on your taxes...).
And... why do you do that? :) Because they're your friends, or because you expect better business relations with them?

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 am
ztrauq wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:40 am
And... why do you do that? :) Because they're your friends, or because you expect better business relations with them?
The result is the same...

Does anyone know if V-Manager is now a requirement? Can you just keep updating licenses every 90 days through the website instead? I would prefer to not have to install anything further if I don't have to. Any information would be great.

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 am And... why do you do that? :) Because they're your friends, or because you expect better business relations with them?
I am in business. The point is you treat your customers like friends, so that they will be more likely to buy from you. Sales 101. If you treat your customers like foes, they will abandon you unless you have vendor lock-in. And even if you have vendor lock-in, your days are numbered because your customers will resent every purchase they have to make.

Adobe, for example, falls into this category. So does Oracle. I'm sure Oracle thought that Netflix would never escape from their clutches. They were wrong.

teilo wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:38 am I am in business. The point is you treat your customers like friends, so that they will be more likely to buy from you. Sales 101. If you treat your customers like foes, they will abandon you unless you have vendor lock-in. And even if you have vendor lock-in, your days are numbered because your customers will resent every purchase they have to make.

Adobe, for example, falls into this category. So does Oracle. I'm sure Oracle thought that Netflix would never escape from their clutches. They were wrong.
A business without customers doesn't last long, and lock-in is a poor, and often short-lived, substitute for pleased customers.

I bought periodic Adobe suite upgrades until they went cloud/subscription-based, tried cloud on an intro deal, dropped it, and have never looked back.

This "CmDongle license will expire soon" message just reared its ugly head. I had no idea this was a thing.

Surely this must be the most convoluted, byzantine copy protection thus far.

We really have to do this every 90 days? There's no way to make it permanent on a dongle or something?

It reminds of the series Lost where they had to "push the button" every couple hours to continually avoid catastrophe.

And just when I thought it was barely tolerable knowing there was a 24/7 CodeMeter background process, complete with its own local webserver and e-commerce-looking "dashboard" running.

The purpose was to make it dongle-free...

I think nobody is -happy- with this wtf copy protection (I have the e-licenser and don’t get why there is no option to activate the software on it just like any of their plugins) but it’s far from the end of the world. Every 90 days, you have to click on a button when asked to. WOW !! So much work that I’ve started to drink when they changed the copy protection.

The real downside is that you NEED an internet connection...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

True. I'll just use it as a countdown timer feature to, you know, actually finish a damn song within 90 days. :hihi:

I raise my drink to the devops engineer assigned the task of keeping the authentication server online, who has way more buttons to press.

jalcide wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:59 am This "CmDongle license will expire soon" message just reared its ugly head. I had no idea this was a thing.

And guess what ? This is exactly the scheme Steinberg wants to implement in the future. Ongoing periodic license checks...

rasmusklump wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:31 am
jalcide wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:59 am This "CmDongle license will expire soon" message just reared its ugly head. I had no idea this was a thing.

And guess what ? This is exactly the scheme Steinberg wants to implement in the future. Ongoing periodic license checks...
Could you please point us to this imformation of Steinberg please?

Return to “Instruments”