Well this is a kick in the nuts: VST2 plug-ins

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Steinberg is a German company owned by a Japanese company (Yamaha).

Anyways, I don't think "violence" is the solution.

lkjb wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:03 pm
zzz00m wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 pm Maybe Microsofty could step up with their own VST2 compatible plugin format for the Windows platform?
There was the DirectX audio plugin format which no one uses any more.
kamalmanzukie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:47 pm [...] but they probably aren't hearing nearly enough tough talk like that. who has a good ideas to make this a nightmare for them.
If your read here regularily there's lots of developers who very loudly complain about Steinberg quite often. It's mostly small devs, though, who don't have much impact as it seems.
i mean yeah i would imagine that to be the case, but this is an entire music software industry including some big companies against one single company that has them all by the throat and their collective response has been.....

some of the smaller developers getting pretty mad about it online

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:10 pm Steinberg is a German company owned by a Japanese company (Yamaha).

Anyways, I don't think "violence" is the solution.
who is talking about violence? im just thinking there would be discussions happening assessing options if theres some untapped leverage and how it could be applied. you seem to have a very fatalistic and accepting attitude, which is fine, but i'll tell you what's not fine: steinberg being absolute gatekeepers to an entire industry. im very skeptical that it is a situation that should just be passively accepted

Nah I'm neither fatalistic nor accepting, but I also don't use language like "go for their neck", "feeling bloodlust", etc. :D

kamalmanzukie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:47 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:21 pm
kamalmanzukie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm this is absolutely unacceptable. if i had a dog in the race, i might not only be thinking of how to unshackle, but also about revenge
Molotov cocktails on the Steinberg HQ?
i think i might sign up to their forum and leave some nice messages as an independent herald of doom.
Very mature. ;)

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:28 pm Nah I'm neither fatalistic nor accepting, but I also don't use language like "go for their neck", "feeling bloodlust", etc. :D
my friend, those are figures of speech. you see, steinberg doesn't even have a physical neck. what i am indicating is a feeling of righteous anger, of the intensity that i feel compelled to try to imagine other possible configurations this industry may find itself in that could be more advantageous, and what decisive steps today could lead in those directions, including bringing the fight—sorry—including exploring options for mounting pressure, lobbying for an anti trust inquiries

see i think part of the problem is you are all software nerds who are non confrontational. i really think that may be the case

my friend if you (or anyone else for that matter) mention violence one more time this thread will go right to hpc then probably deleted...yes those are figures of speech, but English and non English speakers might get the wrong idea.

ftr that will absolutely include statements like this

"including bringing the fight—sorry—including exploring options for mounting pressure"

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:29 pm
kamalmanzukie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:47 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:21 pm
kamalmanzukie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm this is absolutely unacceptable. if i had a dog in the race, i might not only be thinking of how to unshackle, but also about revenge
Molotov cocktails on the Steinberg HQ?
i think i might sign up to their forum and leave some nice messages as an independent herald of doom.
Very mature. ;)
im not kidding at all. what they are doing sucks, and they deserve to hear about it. and if i could make them seriously consider, even for a moment, whether someone really had a plan to destroy their domination of the market and how might they do it, that would make me feel good

I think you're overreacting a "little". And I don't think you speak for the majority at all either. Rather extreme.

Hink wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:51 pm my friend if you (or anyone else for that matter) mention violence one more time this thread will go right to hpc then probably deleted...yes those are figures of speech, but English and non English speakers might get the wrong idea.

"including bringing the fight—sorry—including exploring options for mounting pressure"
fair enough. i thought i was painfully explicit exactly what i did and did not mean when i explained in very careful language

you might refrain from using that word too. the V one. i know you were just trying to explain to me but people might get the wrong idea

This topic seems to come up every few months. But then everybody seems to realise coming up with a new plugin format, implementing it, promoting it, getting the DAW developers to implement it, getting JUCE to implement it, getting plugin developers on board is a lot of work. And then since it's going to be free and open, there is no reward for all the work, it idea quickly dies again.

I think the regulars on this forums are pretty burnt out on the topic.

The question nobody seems to be able to answer: If I do all the work to support another new plugin format, how many more plugins will I sell?

FigBug wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:17 pm This topic seems to come up every few months. But then everybody seems to realise coming up with a new plugin format, implementing it, promoting it, getting the DAW developers to implement it, getting JUCE to implement it, getting plugin developers on board is a lot of work. And then since it's going to be free and open, there is no reward for all the work, it idea quickly dies again.
I think Urs posted a link about that some pages ago, the invention of a new format, which is better than anything else, and then you have the 49th "standard". (Or maybe it was in another thread, can't remember now)

Kind of like all those Linux distribution. All invented to create something which is better than anything else, contesting as the major thing to rule them all. And then you have the 400th distribution, and all the users are scattered over them.

And, again, that all in the audio software world, which moves in snail speed. Not a good idea. And I can already tell as a mere end user.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kamalmanzukie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:01 pm
Hink wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:51 pm my friend if you (or anyone else for that matter) mention violence one more time this thread will go right to hpc then probably deleted...yes those are figures of speech, but English and non English speakers might get the wrong idea.

fair enough. i thought i was painfully explicit exactly what i did and did not mean when i explained in very careful language

you might refrain from using that word too. the V one. i know you were just trying to explain to me but people might get the wrong idea
if you were the op this would have been locked because of that, but thank you for the insight...interesting parallels for sure.

Interesting who brought this word up in the first place (again)

Ugh.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”