Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:13 pm
simmo75 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:56 pm Honestly, what makes the Softube version better than the Cherry Audio $29 version?
There are already some posts comparing them earlier in this thread. In a nutshell, Cherry’s version is great value for the price, but Softube’s is a much more convincing emulation.
Thanks mate.

I was playing around with the Softube version last night and it's definitely got more low-end than the others. I won't speak to how accurate that is to the hardware one way or the other, but when I compared to the Roland 106/60 and TAL U-No-LX, it felt like the Softube [comparatively] had a low shelf boost. Not saying that's what it's actually doing, but just something I heard.

It's certainly a fine plugin. I'm just not sure it's any more or less accurate than the others, and they can all get pretty close. My least favorites are probably the Roland 106/60. They can all get close, but the filter resonance and PWM just don't feel as good on the Roland's IMO. But I'll continue to play.

If the EQ slider is set to zero, that gives a bass boost. See the diagram in the side panel. 1 = flat.

simmo75 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:56 pm Honestly, what makes the Softube version better than the Cherry Audio $29 version?
Having demoed it a bit now and having the Cherry Audio too: everything.
Oscillator and filter sound way better to me; filter also responds much better when modulated. Better sounding resonance as well. I also like the envelopes better. Not to mention the chorus, which is awesome. The DCO-106 chorus has a tendency to break up a bit ( too deep a comb ? ), nothing like that with Model 84, it's exceptionally smooth. Not a clue as to how accurate this plugin emulates, but it sounds excellent to me. Better than Arturia, TAL and Cherry Audio, IMHO.
sacer wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 am yeah a cs-80 would be nice, but also the arp2500 or 2600
2500 ! :)

ELEX wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:45 pm
Having demoed it a bit now and having the Cherry Audio too: everything.
Oscillator and filter sound way better to me; filter also responds much better when modulated. Better sounding resonance as well. I also like the envelopes better. Not to mention the chorus, which is awesome. The DCO-106 chorus has a tendency to break up a bit ( too deep a comb ? ), nothing like that with Model 84, it's exceptionally smooth. Not a clue as to how accurate this plugin emulates, but it sounds excellent to me. Better than Arturia, TAL and Cherry Audio, IMHO.
sacer wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:57 am yeah a cs-80 would be nice, but also the arp2500 or 2600
2500 ! :)
Thanks for this.

I'm demoing now and it does sound good.

Where do I find the INIT or Default patch?

simmo75 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:11 pm ...
I don't think there actually is such a thing for any Softube synth, unfortunately.

ELEX wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 pm
I don't think there actually is such a thing for any Softube synth, unfortunately.
Huh, that's weird!

So I have to zero out the presets to make a new patch?

some more presets for the softube mnodular would be cool, or some mixed patches with other modules like model72

simmo75 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:34 pm
ELEX wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 pm
Huh, that's weird!

So I have to zero out the presets to make a new patch?
Yes this is a very annoying oversight on the part of Softube. On both this and the Model 72 you have to create your own INIT (by option-clicking every parameter) and then save it as a User preset.

When you're finished, you could send it to Softube and they could include it in an update.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I suppose there was no init patch on the hardware, either 8)

e-crooner wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:14 pm I suppose there was no init patch on the hardware, either 8)
If you watch the Starsky Carr video comparing Model 84 to an actual 106, he says the A1-1 patch on his hardware is just a sawtooth wave with full sustain, no processing.

So, yes, it did have one....

Oh, hadn't watched that one...

I feel like if you can't make your own init patch on this thing then maybe you need just a preset synth.

Or even better, get a cowbell :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”