Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Hello :neutral:
seems like bug: win 7, win 10, Reaper 6.27 - after selecting a new filter type host don't react on play\pause key (usually "space") untill click on empty place on Surge panel. something like "lost focus"

And I have a suggestion about stereo unison - in even number unison half part of voices distribute strictly on left and second half part strictly on right - for example in 8 voice unison 4 voices must be on left and 4 voices on right. This will make the sound more spacious, and we see this distribution model in many popular synts(Serum,Vital,Hive)

Unison panning is distributed in stereo like that, but you need to use one of two stereo filter configs: L-R or Wide. Unless you mean stuff should be just hard-panned 4 voices left, 4 right. Nope, that's not what's happening currently.

As for lost focus there, that seems to be one of VSTGUI issues, we're not investing any more time in fixing VSTGUI issues, and I'm pretty sure the next Surge release (which will be JUCE based) won't have that issue. That said - I cannot seem to be able to confirm that issue happening over here in Reaper (either via mousewheel or picking an entry from filter type menu).

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 pm We are happy to release Surge 1.9 today!

Surge 1.9 is a major feature expansion over January's Surge 1.8 release, including 4 new oscillator types, 15 new effects, a large number of microtuning enhancements (including support for ODDSound MTS-ESP!), substantial new content including a set of patches tailor made for our new oscillator algorithms by Jacky Ligon, and much more.

The oscillators include low aliasing Modern algorithm, high aliasing 8-bit algorithm (Alias), a plucked waveguide algorithm (String), and a famous Eurorack module presented here as Twist. New effects include Tape (based on the awesome ChowTapeModel!), two flavors of resonators, Exciter, a few new distortions and a famous live input
granular processor from Eurorack.

As always you can download Surge at our website and you can find the full changelog here.

Finally, we are all volunteers and we've worked hard on testing Surge and all the new features, but great bug reports make great software. If you find a problem, or have an idea for a new feature, or want to work with us on our next version, please get in touch on our Discord server or via our GitHub, both of which you can access from Surge's About screen.

Have fun making music with Surge 1.9!
Great news. Congrats to the Surge Team. Awesome stuff!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 am Unison panning is distributed in stereo like that, but you need to use one of two stereo filter configs: L-R or Wide. Unless you mean stuff should be just hard-panned 4 voices left, 4 right. Nope, that's not what's happening currently.

As for lost focus there, that seems to be one of VSTGUI issues, we're not investing any more time in fixing VSTGUI issues, and I'm pretty sure the next Surge release (which will be JUCE based) won't have that issue. That said - I cannot seem to be able to confirm that issue happening over here in Reaper (either via mousewheel or picking an entry from filter type menu).

Excuse me but something wrong with unison:
Unison 8, detune extendet range, WIDE (frequencies of voices the same)

left only

right only

normal range, L-R (mono??)

for example Vital

My links are invisible? I need one more post :D

Unison stereoness can differ between osc types. At any rate don't expect all synths will do things in exactly the same way :)

I just checked - all types of oscillators are the same behaviour, sir

Well we're not changing it for the time being. Need more stereo, use Vital.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:05 am Unison stereoness can differ between osc types. At any rate don't expect all synths will do things in exactly the same way :)
I understand, but this type of voice distribution is very widespread and popular and sounds really good. Serum, Sylenth, Hive, Helix, Icarus, Vital, ANA 2 , Dune 3, Phase plant - all have this type of stereo unison. Please :pray: :pray: :pray: :D

Surge is different :)

We do have a feature request for different unison distributions, but it's not gonna happen any time soon.

(BTW how do you set up SPAN to show L and R in different colors? EDIT: Ah I see, set it to dual mono mode!)

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:21 am Surge is different :)

We do have a feature request for different unison distributions, but it's not gonna happen any time soon.

(BTW how do you set up SPAN to show L and R in different colors?)

in any case, thank you for your hard work and patience, Surge become dream-maschine :clap:

about SPAN - I can't explain it( bad english and really confusing setup procedure) but I can send you a preset

OK wait, I've just compared Dune 3 stereo unison with Surge. I'm seeing pretty much the same thing panning-wise:

That's sine wave in Dune 3, 3 voice linear unison (like the one we use in Surge), Detune and Spread to max.

I mean no other way to do panning of a mono oscillator into stereo - gotta use some sort of pan law!

Unison with even numbers show same picture, with odd numbers one voice always on center

durachok wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:42 am Image

Unison with even numbers show same picture, with odd numbers one voice always on center
With odd numbers you will get one voice on center yes. We span between -detune and +detune in increments of (2*detune)/(voices - 1). So 2 voices are +/- D; 3 voices are +D 0 -D, 4 voices are + D +D/3 -D/3 -D 5 voices are + D + D/2 D -D -D/2 etc...

the pan law is similar. We pan across the L/R field using the same weights. Surge is open source too, so if you want to see exactly what we do: here's where we set up the pitch differences and panlaw pans. https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... ons.h#L148

Yeah I think this is more about pan law rather than anything else, and there's a special case for even number of unison voices apparently, in those other synths.

Return to “Instruments”