Let's talk studio ergonomics/posture and how to avoid injury, shall we?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I realize this is a criminally underrated topic to talk about. Specifically the posture you take when you make music. I took a seminar on posture and realized I've been doing it wrong. Everything from the neck level, to the wrist level, your position to keyboard/mouse/display, everything matters to avoid injury in the long run.

Now, I have an Output platform desk and I realized the desk's height/setup makes it inherently uncomfortable and non-ideal w.r.t posture. I wonder if Output are even aware of this.

The elbow should not bend down when you're typing on your keyboard, yet with the Platform desk you can't avoid it. The only way to avoid this is to put the typing keyboard on the music keyboard tray and put the piano up. I haven't tried this though.

Just thought I'd open a thread discussing this very critical topic because it can lead to long term injury.

is it 64 bit?

I could slouch for England.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

regards your desk, if it's designed for primarily music, then the keyboard tray is for the music keyboard as the assumption is this is the one you will use most, at this desk.
it's ok to reach up or down ocassionally, to type a tag or title.

however if you also use your computer for text work, then yes, it's in the wrong place. as you are using it often, over long periods.

Here are my strategies to avoid soreness.

No eye-level gear. Ends up being a major source of shoulder pain.

No gear that needs to be leaned over because it’s a bit out of reach. If I can’t reach its farthest knob while sitting upright, it’s too far.

Move. Any setup where your forces to be in more or less the same position with little gross movement is a problem. Set things up so that you can stand or sit and force yourself to change it up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Physical control of your setup will also enhance mental creativity,
reducing stress, frustration, and memory loss. It's easy to lose a dozen years of
productive earthly dwelling because your surroundings kept the blood pressure high,
the muscles taught, and if the diet is filled with sugar and lard... :scared:

...thud :help: :dog:

Get a good standing desk. Really makes a world of difference. :)
Noise Producer

Where can I download one of those?
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:04 pm Where can I download one of those?
You could try Ikea ;)

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:02 pm regards your desk, if it's designed for primarily music, then the keyboard tray is for the music keyboard as the assumption is this is the one you will use most, at this desk.
it's ok to reach up or down ocassionally, to type a tag or title.

however if you also use your computer for text work, then yes, it's in the wrong place. as you are using it often, over long periods.
The problem is, in music production we "type" as much if not more than we play the keyboard. So I'm wondering if the desk manufacturer even took this in consideration. There are long term consequences of our posture being incorrect and I've started to experience these myself.

Hmmm. I don't do much typing, if I'm doing typing I have to do it elsewhere, the computer is too elevated. Fine for the space bar and trackpad.
I may have lower back problems from all the times I created these tracks in bed.

Laptop stand. Raises the screen to correct height and gives you more room for your midi keyboards and stuff. This is an "On-Stage Stands" stand pictured here. And the alien is a shaker. :D
Screenshot_20210422-161248.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm Here are my strategies to avoid soreness.

No eye-level gear. Ends up being a major source of shoulder pain.

No gear that needs to be leaned over because it’s a bit out of reach. If I can’t reach its farthest knob while sitting upright, it’s too far.

Move. Any setup where your forces to be in more or less the same position with little gross movement is a problem. Set things up so that you can stand or sit and force yourself to change it up.
Those are some good strategies...

I like to use a Gymnastic ball for sitting... I have one with a cotton cover on it so I'm not sitting on sticky plastic. It is constantly moving in small ways. So my back is always flexing a bit one way or the other. Sitting in a static position is not conducive to good blood flow. So yeah... move...

If I sit in my desk chair, then I sit upright and do not lean against the back cushion. I have also trained myself to keep an upright posture and not hunch the upper back and neck (which cuts of blood flow to the brain.

Also nothing like daily yoga. I started practicing 1 1/2 years ago and an old knee injury that used to bother me if I sat in place for some hours is completely pain free. Also my low back and neck are both considerably more flexible and loose.

And in general, don't forget to breath :)

Use a proper office chair that allows you to adjust height, tilt etc. Don't get one of those "racing car" gaming chairs, they're terrible for ergonomics. There's no need for a bucket seat and padded sides to protect yourself against lateral forces when you're sitting in front of a computer, because you're not taking turns at 100 mph. You're stationary. Without a foot rest, those chairs also tend to cut off blood flow to your legs.

If you can afford it, an electric standing desk is great. It's a bit of a pain to get it so cables don't stretch too much, and you have to remember to alternate between sitting and standing, but being able to stand up when you're feeling tired and starting to lose focus is a great way to get more energy. You can also raise it part of the way if you feel like you're starting to slump in your chair.

Is there a guide for the best ergonomics of setting up your DAW workspace? After reading over this thread I'm pretty sure I've violated most of them.
The one I experienced the hard way, extended time standing with a Les Paul.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”