Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
398 posts since 25 Dec, 2018

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 am

Oh and a good way to test this is to extend unison (so RMB/Extend on Unison Detune) and set it to 1200 then the top and bottom unison notes are 2 octaves apart. As you add notes you can see clearly how they add per that formula.

KVRer
11 posts since 22 Apr, 2021

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:57 am

baconpaul wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 am
durachok wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:42 am

Unison with even numbers show same picture, with odd numbers one voice always on center
With odd numbers you will get one voice on center yes. We span between -detune and +detune in increments of (2*detune)/(voices - 1). So 2 voices are +/- D; 3 voices are +D 0 -D, 4 voices are + D +D/3 -D/3 -D 5 voices are + D + D/2 D -D -D/2 etc...

the pan law is similar. We pan across the L/R field using the same weights. Surge is open source too, so if you want to see exactly what we do: here's where we set up the pitch differences and panlaw pans. https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/su ... ons.h#L148
I mean frequency spread in Surge is OK, but stereo spread make sound "narrower". a couple of times I've met same mode as in Surge (Sytrus,Zebra) but strictly left-right mode more "fluffy" :D

KVRer
11 posts since 22 Apr, 2021

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:00 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:48 am
Yeah I think this is more about pan law rather than anything else, and there's a special case for even number of unison voices apparently, in those other synths.
"is more about pan law" - yeas,exactly

KVRian
519 posts since 18 Feb, 2004

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:56 am

baconpaul wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:17 pm
rezoneight wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:23 am
Love the release notes:
Modern, a low aliasing, clean waveshape oscillator based on extensive research into low aliasing waveform generation methods (DPW in this case)

Alias, a very, very digital oscillator based on ignoring extensive research into low aliasing waveform generation methods, which as a result gives lots of 8-bit joy
We had a good laugh at that juxtaposition yeah!
I love it when devs have fun with the release notes. Gotta put something in there once in awhile to make them worth reading :)

KVRAF
21538 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:13 am

Duly noted :)

KVRer
22 posts since 1 Jan, 2015

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:09 am

Quick note of thanks to you and the many other people who develop and maintain Surge.It is rapidly becoming my go-to synth

KVRist
116 posts since 24 Feb, 2004

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 am

It's wonderful. I'm very impressed by what the team is doing. And, the XT builds are running great for me under wine in Reaper under wine in Linux. The graphics are a bit off, but this is XT and it's not supposed to be ready. The 1.9 main builds still don't work at all under wine. I should inform the devs about this because they didn't want to put effort into fixing that for the very few people who need to run on Linux. I think it's worth keeping it working in wine. Running the native Linux version of Reaper means you have to abandon all your old free plugins....

KVRian
994 posts since 19 Apr, 2004

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:57 am

Eirikur wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 am
It's wonderful. I'm very impressed by what the team is doing. And, the XT builds are running great for me under wine in Reaper under wine in Linux. The graphics are a bit off, but this is XT and it's not supposed to be ready. The 1.9 main builds still don't work at all under wine. I should inform the devs about this because they didn't want to put effort into fixing that for the very few people who need to run on Linux. I think it's worth keeping it working in wine. Running the native Linux version of Reaper means you have to abandon all your old free plugins....
Running Native Linux Reaper in no way means you have to give up the old free plugins. Have been running most all my WinVST's free and paid using LinVst and there is a new bridge being worked on call yahbridge that sound very promising https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge/releases
If WINE is already installed it is very easy to setup.

KVRian
994 posts since 19 Apr, 2004

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:00 pm

Damn forgot to say, THANK YOU for working on Surge can't wait to try the new version Linux native :-)

KVRist
53 posts since 22 Jan, 2010 from Oregon, U.S.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:17 pm

Congrats on the recent Surge release, and thanks for the innovative work!

KVRist
480 posts since 17 Nov, 2015 from Dawson Creek

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:21 pm

chow tape model implementation is yummy :D

KVRist

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 pm

rezoneight wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:56 am
I love it when devs have fun with the release notes. Gotta put something in there once in awhile to make them worth reading :)
Ha! Yes. I mean, we also thought the 4 new oscillators and 15 new FX made it worth reading at the top. I am a bit sad we hid the joke there and not the middle; the real masters of the form would have put something funny in the middle of the change notes for the CMakefile or some such :)

But we had a laugh when the dev who did the first draft of Alias realize she had done almost the exact opposite of what I'd try to do with the first draft of Modern (we all collaborated after those first drafts and it was a group effort and so forth - but for a moment we thought about calling Alias "AntiModern")

Anyway enjoy both oscillators (and String and Twist too). They are all really fun. And thanks for the kind words!

KVRist

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:30 pm

Eirikur wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 am
Oh so this is really useful to know.

The reason that surge before XT didn't work in WINE was, as far as we could tell, because VSTGUI uses Direct2D and WINE doesn't support that 2D acceleration API. JUCE doesn't use Direct 2D (actually making it perform a little worse, but that's neither here nor there) it uses GDI (basically). And so it should work in WINE. Having confirmation that it does is really useful so thank you! (And by posting here you do "inform the devs" or at least a couple of us :) )

Oh also if you are using XT, you should update very very very frequently. And join our discord. There's absolutely zero guarantee that anything is stable on that branch, including things like patch saving and DAW state saving. I really would strongly recommend you treat it as pre-alpha and not use it for any real music production yet.

And we have loads of linux users but mostly native linux users. Knowing that wine now is a possibility when we stabilize XT is cool. Thank you for sharing.

KVRAF
1553 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:50 pm

Congrats to the new version. Thanks for the hard work :) You are an awesome team.

I checked out the new version this afternoon and I got stuck notes in Ableton Live 11 on macOS 10.14.6 from time to time.

Maybe you can fix this :) Thanks a lot in advance
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

KVRist

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:33 pm

MillerSam wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:50 pm
Congrats to the new version. Thanks for the hard work :) You are an awesome team.

I checked out the new version this afternoon and I got stuck notes in Ableton Live 11 on macOS 10.14.6 from time to time.

Maybe you can fix this :) Thanks a lot in advance
This is a problem in live handling MPE

*Either* you need to make your live device not an MPE device with surge having MPE off, or you need to have your live device be an MPE device and have surge active in MPE mode (by pressing the MPE button). We've spoken to the live devs about this and a future version of live will send the appropriate midi message which will activate MPE in surge.

Return to “Instruments”