Best internal Soundcard for composing Pop/Eurodance/Lovesongs/Vocals & Classical Guitar recording/Gaming&Music listening

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking for a decent internal soundcard (PCIexpress) for about 100-200 Euros without paying attention to lots of outputs, inputs (I only need the most essential stuff+ASIO & Midi support), In particular it just should be made for the benefit of..

- composing Pop/Eurodance/Lovesongs
- recording Vocals & Real Classical Guitar
- listening Music
- Retro Gaming (like ZSNES etc.)

So what are really the best choices for that purpose??

So far I've figured 5 good choices, but not quite sure which one is the best for that purpose, or if there are other decent ones like..

- Creative Sound Blaster X AE-5 Pro Gaming PURE-Edition
- Asus Essence STX 2
- ESI Maya 44 EX
- Creative Sound Blaster Z SE
- ESI Juli XTe**

**Apparently this awesome soundcard isnt available anymore as it seems, although it should be better than the newer ESI Maya 44 EX which still is available. Anyone has an explanation why ESI takes away his best card from the market? :roll: Just curious

Pls no recommandations about External Soundcards or those ones, that are more expensive than 200 Euros (My OS: Win7 SP1 64bit)

Would recommend getting second hand RME HDSP 9632 (with breakout cable), it should cost less than 200 bucks (120-180 is reasonable price).

Sorry, you need PCI Express...

:P Thats what I wrote "Looking for a decent internal soundcard (PCIexpress) for about 100-200 Euros"
So any decent suggestions?

... Okay, I’ll bite. Why do you specifically want an internal audio interface?

Gabriel_West wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:54 pm - recording Vocals & Real Classical Guitar
You need one with a XLR mic input. Unless you already have a mixer. These plugs are too big for the PCI(e) slot. So either it will be a card with a breakout box, or (God forbid) a breakout cable (spaghetti behind your pc) or the simple fix: get an USB model.

Last time I looked the Steinberg entry model (UR22 or something) got good reviews. Fits your requirements, except it's usb instead of pcie.

The people switched to laptops, so a pcie card sells a fraction of the same usb product.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I bought my Juli@ 2nd hand for 50 euros. It's a great card with superb converters, ridiculous value for money :D

EDIT: I use it with an external mixer to handle all the various I/O and preamps- I plug in a condenser mic, electric guitar and a few analog synths to it, and keep delay and reverb pedals in the FX loop.

If you don't mind fiddling with your OS and setup procedures I can offer an E-MU 1212M PCIe card. They still have a fan base, so there are several threads here on KVR how to get em going. PM if interested. Free shipping within Germany.

As you are at offering decade old hardware, I could also offer an original Sonic Solution... But I wouldn’t recommend it, I wouldn’t recommend an internal card either, it doesn’t make sense, as it will be obsolet too fast (like the EMU 1212). An external MotU interface from 15 years ago would still run for example... And its most likely also cheaper...

I see no reason to get an internal audio interface, unless you have been given one or found an extremely good deal. External one will have the huge advantage of having all the needed ports and controls just in front of you so you can tweak them. I don't even think anyone makes internal sound cards anymore (except for the gaming BS by Asus and maybe Creative).

ferez21 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:44 am I don't even think anyone makes internal sound cards anymore (except for the gaming BS by Asus and maybe Creative).
RME!

If you're serious about recording high-quality audio, you'll want phantom power for condenser mics, and XLR inputs for relatively noise-free mic signals -- which leaves the SoundBlaster cards out. They're really not as quiet as semi-pro internal audio interfaces, either. SoundBlaster is also known to change their product lineup fairly often, which may leave you out if/when you move to Windows 10 and you can't get a driver.

ESI has been making audio interfaces for several years, but you can get USB audio interfaces -- with XLR mic inputs, phantom power (for condenser mics), and hi-impedance inputs for electric guitars -- for the price of their Maya44 eX. And you'll definitely want a condenser mic if you're recording classical guitar.

The Asus card's specs look good, but it's primarily a gaming card. 7.1 surround won't help with what you're trying to record, and some of its specs rely upon a daughterboard. It also doesn't have XLR mic inputs, phantom power, or high-impedance inputs.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Alright, thx guys for your helpful advices, and yes I know the advantages of external soundcards over internal ones, but anyway prefer an internal soundcard for homecomposing purposes only. Will grab the ESI Maya 44 eX then. Seems to be the best 'low budget' one currently available for composing purposes. :-)

Gabriel_West wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:31 pmWill grab the ESI Maya 44 eX then. Seems to be the best 'low budget' one currently available for composing purposes. :-)
Sounds good to me! It has all you need.
I have an older Maya1010, still very happy with it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I'm genuinely curious as of why you rather get an old card, and possibly even pay more, than getting a new external USB one. Not saying it as a criticism, I'm wondering if there is something that maybe the internal card is doing better and i am missing here, would love to learn.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”