FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

I'm having a lot of the same issues as everyone else on the previous 26 pages, particularly BFD2 content missing. A couple of days ago, it was asking for a license, but now it's just that the samples won't load and I get the caution sign when I try. Strangely enough, BFD1 started working, the license and the content.
Starting today, the License Manager stopped working.

Thing is...I knew that Fxpansion had pretty much abandoned BFD3, so I as was a bit stoked when I saw InMusic reviving the brand. BFD has been my go to for drum samples since the beginning, so I was looking forward to seeing what would happen with this acquisition and hoping to see new expansion packs and other improvements.
I own a lot of drum software from other companies, but the realism in BFD can't be beat, IMO.
I don't own Superior Drummer and that seems to be the next best option I'll be looking at soon.

This is beyond frustrating and I'm in the middle of projects for clients. What an epic train wreck.

I think we all agree this didn't go smoothly and there are real issues that need quick resolution, but there's also a lesson here about not updating critical software in the middle of projects. As a hobbyist, I can afford to be an early adopter and deal with any issues that arise, but if I were working on important projects right now, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this update until I was sure it would go smoothly. And I would've come here or to Gearspace to check first.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:53 pm I think we all agree this didn't go smoothly and there are real issues that need quick resolution, but there's also a lesson here about not updating critical software in the middle of projects. As a hobbyist, I can afford to be an early adopter and deal with any issues that arise, but if I were working on important projects right now, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near this update until I was sure it would go smoothly. And I would've come here or to Gearspace to check first.
Wise words. Just to add to the mix the update for me went fine. macPOS 10.13, 2010 maxpro, Reaper 6. The only issue was the migration success email didn't arrive until about 12 hours after I migrated. That left me in the dark about next steps, the freebie etc. But the people here helped with that. Then the email came. Otherwise BFD3 is working fine here under AU, VST and Standalone with my 650GB BFD library. There is hope...

Many have reported issues with BFS1/2 content... I wonder if I have any 1/2 content - can you give me an example of what expansions are a problem and I will see if they installed ok for me? Do you mean discontinued products or existing products that came out when BFD1/2 were current?
Last edited by plexuss on Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I do not have BFD, and this thread only tells me one thing, i.e. not to buy it.

"Strangely enough, BFD1 started working, the license and the content.
Starting today, the License Manager stopped working."
These two facts together suggests you're trying to use the fxpansion License Manager. BFD1 isn't part of the BFD Drums acquisition.
The old LM is useless for BFD Drums. BFD Drums has acquired all of the BFD expansions, and migrated some things of mine which are 3rd party (ie., the connection isn't between Platinum Drums and fxpansion any longer).

So your goal 'BFD2 content' can happen but the one way: you get a license for the product they acquired which is known as London Sessions.
Which you'll pretty much need to lobby Drew for.

I was in the middle of a project I'm very invested in which was going well. So there was a large part of one day lost sorting this.
It's not a big deal to delete it and reinstall the fxpansion last version (although it may one day no longer be possible). When I updated the OS to 15.7, BFD3 immediately starting throwing an insurmountable error regarding 'API for Web Demo'. Now THAT was a dumb decision, because I didn't have to update the stupid thing. Wipe the drive, restore from Time Machine, an all-day sucka

Installed BFD3 version 3.4.0.24

Standalone is crashing

Vst in Reaper is in "plugins that failed to scan" menu

Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928)

jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:07 pm "Strangely enough, BFD1 started working, the license and the content.
Starting today, the License Manager stopped working."
These two facts together suggests you're trying to use the fxpansion License Manager. BFD1 isn't part of the BFD Drums acquisition.
The old LM is useless for BFD Drums. BFD Drums has acquired all of the BFD expansions, and migrated some things of mine which are 3rd party (ie., the connection isn't between Platinum Drums and fxpansion any longer).

So your goal 'BFD2 content' can happen but the one way: you get a license for the product they acquired which is known as London Sessions.
Which you'll pretty much need to lobby Drew for.
The LM I used was the one I was directed to use from InMusic, the one I downloaded from the new BFD website.
As for BFD2 content, Amberience (I assume a rep from IM) has started several times on this thread that they're looking into why content from BFD2 and BFD1 isn't being migrated. I didn't see any mention of having to buy those products again. I'll be happy to buy new expansions in the future, but I'm not paying for something twice.

If all else fails, I always save previous installers of products, so I can hopefully roll back if need be. I'd prefer if it just worked though.

Hey all,
I'm sure there will be an official communication at some point, but a few bulletpoints:
  • We've hit some technical snags on getting everyone the Eldorado and London Sessions packs. But it will definitely happen. We're also going to make it so that migrations moving forward will get those packs automatically - watch this space.
  • Same as above, but with the Zildjian Digital Vaults. Vol 1 pack to replace the SP1/SP2/ZP1 packs.
  • There is a BFD 3.4.1.x build in progress that will address:
    • Sluggishness on start-up.
    • Expansion packs not being available when offline
    • License Manager failing to connect to the internet sometimes
    • Migration of user-files being broken, not copying all files, and being executed even on clean systems without prior installations.
Just wanted to give everyone an update.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:32 pm [snip...]
Thanks for the update!

Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:32 pm Hey all,
I'm sure there will be an official communication at some point, but a few bulletpoints:
Thank you! Spank you very much!

windowman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:50 pm
Woah there nelly!! I've had a beer and you might get me excited! :tu:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:53 pm
There's an expansion pack for that!

:hug:

windowman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 pm
Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:53 pm
There's an expansion pack for that!
I dunno, sounds like that post actually gave him an expansion pack!
Last edited by plexuss on Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”