Matt Tytel makes Vital Open source!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the contribuition!!!

Held wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 pm
lobanov wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:43 pm Is Firefox open source? I use it too.
Good luck doing anything on the internet without using a lot of open source software.
Good luck? To me? I'm lucky. I listed open source products I often (and effectively) use. :)

lobanov wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:28 pm
Good luck doing anything on the internet without using a lot of open source software.
Good luck? To me? I'm lucky. I listed open source products I often (and effectively) use. :)
No, not you specifically, people in general who don't like open source :)

I should have made it more clear that I was simply inspired by your post but not directly responding to it.

Held wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:32 pm
lobanov wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:28 pm
No, not you specifically, people in general who don't like open source :)

I should have made it more clear that I was simply inspired by your post but not directly responding to it.
Don't worry, all is OK :)

imo,no need to polarize this discussion as Open source vs commercial,as Vital is both.

Does anyone consider to make some fork of Vital synth with better/more filters, than just JUCE standart ones? For example i like filters from open source synth Odin 2, or from Surge, Helix ? Or maybe some good sounding algos in the web?
Last edited by SoulState on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Held wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:37 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 pm
Held wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:54 pm Linux is also the most used server operating system. Even Microsoft loves it now
... which is 100% PR drivel. You might also want to visit their newsroom, to see how they save the world among other things.

Steve Ballmer calling Linux cancer was actually hilarious. :hihi: I wouldn't actually put it that drastic, but, the spirit surely spreads like cancer...
Are you stuck in the 90s or something? Microsoft's core business model is the cloud now, and the cloud runs on Linux. Microsoft pays many people to work full-time on open source and Linux. They own Github, the major hosting site for open source projects, and they've included Linux inside Windows as the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

So you're right about one thing, the spirit of open source is spreading very quickly, and only brainwashed or evil people have a problem with it.

Open source is best for society while closed source is best for corporations and share holders.
Exactly this (IMO of couse!).
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

SoulState wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:38 pm Does anyone consider to make some fork of Vilal synth with better/more filters, than just JUCE standart ones? For example i like filters from open source synth Odin 2, or from Surge, Helix ? Or maybe some good sounding algos in the web?
I hope Matt will add better filters with time too.

SoulState wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:38 pm Does anyone consider to make some fork of Vital synth with better/more filters, than just JUCE standart ones? For example i like filters from open source synth Odin 2, or from Surge, Helix ? Or maybe some good sounding algos in the web?
Vital doesn’t use JUCE’s filters

Can anyone actually elucidate why they find Vital's filters lacking ? "I want better/more" doesn't really help.

I realize it's de rigueur to complain about filters these days whether those complaints are valid or not.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Being a filter imbecile here, but what defines a "good" filter? Or if the questions is better asked this way, what defines a bad filter?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:10 pm Being a filter imbecile here, but what defines a "good" filter? Or if the questions is better asked this way, what defines a bad filter?
I suspect that any filter that doesn't say it was modeled after Moog Ladder or Oberheim SEM will be considered "bad". :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:18 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:10 pm Being a filter imbecile here, but what defines a "good" filter? Or if the questions is better asked this way, what defines a bad filter?
I suspect that any filter that doesn't say it was modeled after Moog Ladder or Oberheim SEM will be considered "bad". :hihi:
That would actually make sense in this forum :D
I also wonder why people only seem to play instruments individually and not use them in music production (where you probably won't be able to tell if a filter is good or bad).
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

i'm also not that eager for too many more filter models.
The filters are actually good for what they are (imo of course).
Not everything needs “perfect analog emulated“ filters.
I also seem to remember when Serum came out that it often got critized for it's “poor filters“, but nowadays it seems to have become some kind of benchmark (“not as good as Serum filters“...)
Maybe a few more wouldn't hurt, though i don't see those as highest priorities.
But stuff like that can easily go out of hand, like some synths featuring 20+ filter models.
Does it really get better by that many (or even more than that)?
Why not use a filter VST(i) if you want something different than the synths stock ones.
As far as i'm concerned, a handful of filters are better than dozens, where it often seems that the developers simply include many of them, because the y still had some legacy code left lying somewhere.
Vital is Vital, it doesn't desperately need 99-100% accurate Moog, SEM, or whatnot filters anyway (imo again of course)
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I personally think the filters are great.. fun to use, sound good and are flexible with the mix knob which is always good to have and parallel and serial.. really nice.

I have read this loads of times but please expand the Sample part just a little!
I love that it is free running when you want that but also if it had a sample start knob you could modulate and also a loop that would let you decide the part to loop / free run loop it would be fantastic for extra sound design.

Return to “Instruments”