FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

Please consider the following comments and observations:
  • I discovered 16 cookies by InMusic on my browser - how many do you have?
  • there are several websites associated with BFD Drums (fxansion - legacy products not transferred; bfddrums.com - BFD 3.4 on; inMusicbrands.com - account; and various force.com sites for support etc). This is a mess.
  • I agree that the mandatory info for a support request is too much - same if you are logged on?
  • there is no link to the BDFDrums Forum on the BFDDrums home page or elsewhere. wtf
  • this KVR forum is the most helpful support channel - I don't envy Amberience's role
  • it's reasonably clear from this forum that there is no one person who can provide authoritative information that crosses the inMusic silos. Who was the mystery showrunner that managed the lengthy delay with no information and then the clearly-hurried premature release?
  • on my Windows 10 x64 pc the License Manager feels free to monopolise the cpu when scanning/checking/downloading (ie peaks at 100% and seems to want to stay there). Are others experiencing this?
  • Content download for BFD 3.4 seems to be all 35Gb or nothing - or have I missed something?
  • The BFD 3.4 update appears to contain both Windows and Mac versions - why no option?
My conclusion is that BFD has landed in a conglomerate where the customer is a secondary consideration swamped by an uncoordinated multi-threaded process where the intention is to colonise my pc and progressively marinate it with inMusic product.

If I can work out how to do it I will almost certainly rollback and say goodbye to the free extension.

This has to be the most abrasive transition of ownership I've experienced in what is simply a hobby for me. The experience must be excruciating for professionals.

Raymond0

I need another post to be able to private message!

OSX here 10.13.6

Is there ANY way to get RID of this prompt?? I trashed any and all things BFD and FXPANSION BEFORE doing a complete reinstall here. This appears EVERY time I start up BFD. There are no previous files and folders as they were all trashed including the BFD pref files

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shanabit wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:38 pm OSX here 10.13.6

Is there ANY way to get RID of this prompt?? I trashed any and all things BFD and FXPANSION BEFORE doing a complete reinstall here. This appears EVERY time I start up BFD. There are no previous files and folders as they were all trashed including the BFD pref files

Thanks
Same exact stuff here on Windows 10 Pro x64... BFD 3.4 first installation ever, I only had BFD Eco installed ages ago, no longer in the system now; I get the above prompt every time I add BFD to a project, and if I accept to do it I get an error dialog...

- Mario

Raymond0 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 am
  • I discovered 16 cookies by InMusic on my browser - how many do you have?
Raymond0 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 am My conclusion is that BFD has landed in a conglomerate where the customer is a secondary consideration swamped by an uncoordinated multi-threaded process where the intention is to colonise my pc and progressively marinate it with inMusic product.
That's enough for me to end my future with BFD and not transition to In-music platform. I had a horrible cookie /pop-up ad pc resource issue when Magix bought the Sony/Sonic Foundry products (Sound Forge/Acid/Vegas/etc). Not sure if In-Music is as invasive as Magix, but BFD isn't worth it to me to find out. To be fair, I don't know but won't risk.

I don't use BFD3 much anyways after realizing Toontrack is far Superior. 🙃

mabian wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:07 pm

Thanks
Same exact stuff here on Windows 10 Pro x64... BFD 3.4 first installation ever, I only had BFD Eco installed ages ago, no longer in the system now; I get the above prompt every time I add BFD to a project, and if I accept to do it I get an error dialog...

- Mario
Try running BFD 3.4 as administrator (right-click on the icon, click "Run as Administror"), click okay. This made the window disappear for me. BTW, I can't take credit for this, edster gave the suggestion a little while ago. Just passing it on.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

Raymond0 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 am on my Windows 10 x64 pc the License Manager feels free to monopolise the cpu when scanning/checking/downloading (ie peaks at 100% and seems to want to stay there). Are others experiencing this?
I was, but Amberience sent me a link to a beta version (3.0.0.16?) that fixed the problem. It looks like the latest License Manager is 3.0.0.19 and I would hope that the higher version means the fix is in there.

Maybe it's not in the regular release because I get the impression that this CPU issue doesn't happen for everyone.

I also get the impression that the License Manager doesn't update itself.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Can't wait until I can buy BFD for $5 in about 3 years. :tu:

lotus2035 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:51 pm Can't wait until I can buy BFD for $5 in about 3 years. :tu:
Not gonna happen. :party:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Thanks
user/Library/Preferences/com.bfddrums.BFD3.plist
Open this prefs file with a Hex editor
Make sure these 3 strings are like this and save file:

<key>FirstRun</key>
<string>No</string>

<key>NeedScan</key>
<string>No</string>

<key>fxp2inm_migration</key>
<string>migrated</string>

Fender_Bender wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:25 pm

Thanks

<key>FirstRun</key>
<string>No</string>

<key>NeedScan</key>
<string>No</string>

And just to repeat...for folks having the same issue on Windows, it's a trip to the registry to make similar changes...
Right, on Windows, to stop yourself being annoyed by the constant nagging of asking to copy files, here’s what you can do - please make sure you’re comfy using the Registry Editor:
  • Open Registry Editor
  • Navigate to: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\BFD Drums\BFD3
  • Check for these entries: FirstRun, fxp2inm_migration, and NeedScan
  • If you don’t have them all, create them. They should all be string types.
  • Set FirstRun to ‘No’ without quotes.
  • Set fxp2inm_migration to ‘migrated’ without quotes.
  • Set ‘NeedScan’ to ‘no’ without quotes.
This will stop BFD from nagging you about copying across old files. I HIGHLY recommend you still do this manually though. You don’t want to lose any of you precious kits or presets that you’ve created and saved out.

I migrated my account and upgraded today. No issues at all, got my free kit with no problems too. Followed the instructions on the site and it was all smooth. I'm on windows 10. Just waiting for Drew to set up my London and El Dorado kits and I'll be done. I hope you guys get your issues sorted out soon.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:13 pm
Fender_Bender wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:25 pm

Thanks

<key>FirstRun</key>
<string>No</string>

<key>NeedScan</key>
<string>No</string>

And just to repeat...for folks having the same issue on Windows, it's a trip to the registry to make similar changes...
Right, on Windows, to stop yourself being annoyed by the constant nagging of asking to copy files, here’s what you can do - please make sure you’re comfy using the Registry Editor:
  • Open Registry Editor
  • Navigate to: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\BFD Drums\BFD3
  • Check for these entries: FirstRun, fxp2inm_migration, and NeedScan
  • If you don’t have them all, create them. They should all be string types.
  • Set FirstRun to ‘No’ without quotes.
  • Set fxp2inm_migration to ‘migrated’ without quotes.
  • Set ‘NeedScan’ to ‘no’ without quotes.
This will stop BFD from nagging you about copying across old files. I HIGHLY recommend you still do this manually though. You don’t want to lose any of you precious kits or presets that you’ve created and saved out.
Thanks for that, in Windows running BFD standalone as admin didn't fix anything but tweaking the registry keys as mentioned did.
I only had to change the fxp2inm_migration key value, everything else was already there.

No more annoying dialogs now :)

- Mario

I don't know if that's already been mentioned, but clicking the panic button on the standalone version brings to a beautiful crash to desktop... totally reproducible everytime.

Windows 10 Pro x64.

EDIT: same in the VST plugin, at least with REAPER.

- Mario

Now that's a panic button!

Also crashes Waveform 11.5 and Cantabile 3.0.

Does not crash FL Studio 20.8 or StudioOne 2.6.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Return to “Instruments”