One Synth Challenge #147: Any Full Bucket Music Synth Challenge (schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Commercial or free - the basic OSC rules always apply. Pitch shifting outside the synth has always been a no no, as has major distortion/glitching, and all forms of heavy phaser/chorus/flanger type of effects.

Basically, if you use any form of modulating FX, use it sparingly!

dB

Oh, I missed that--sorry.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

brucerimell wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:23 pm Hi folks,
I just joined because I've been watching/listening to the One Synth Challenge for a little while ...
- In terms of free effects can I use any free effects or just the ones on the list?...
Thanks in advance. Sorry if this has been covered 100 times before...
Better to see the rules:
Effects - what is NOT allowed:

- Chorus, flanger, phaser, rotary, or related modular effects.

- Any type of modulation effect (e.g. chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary etc.). (Please note that effects like reverb or delays that perform modulation to achieve their sound are ALLOWED, but the modulation usage must be minimal.)

- Tapestops, Granular delays, pitching, or related sampling effects.

- Effects that pitch the sound (e.g. pitched / granular delays, tapestops etc.

- Turning up the effect too much where it transforms the nature of the synth (Heavy overdrive / distortion, etc)

- Any effect that transforms the sound to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth (Overdrive, heavy distortion, bit crushing, or related). Never go full 11
:tu:

IV! wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:07 pm
I understand! I literally feel physically bad when I send a track, knowing that it's not as good as I would like, but at the moment I'm not able to make it better. And here even reviews are of secondary importance... First of all, you go through these experiences that you would not have been able to get if you had not sent the track, and these experiences change you greatly, making subsequent submission easier! If we consider it from a psychological point of view, it almost does not matter what the track itself will be)
Thanks IV! Looking forward to an easier submission process in the future.

well, the rules don't specifically mention filtering so i think it's perfectly reasonable to ask for clarification after reading them. i don't think it's usually considered a form of modulation effect but it's somewhat open to interpretation...

emikaela wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:23 amthe rules don't specifically mention filtering ... i don't think it's usually considered a form of modulation
Correct. To be clear: filtering is not considered a modulation effect. However using filtering to alter the sound in a way that is unrecognizable from the synth would not be allowed. There are plenty of gray areas within the rules, especially filtering (aka EQ). An obvious example is an EDM build where the entire track is HPF'd or LPF'd has been done without anyone complaining (to my knowledge). My personal opinion is if it's used as a mix tool it's fine (like in the example, or to clean up muddy low end). If it's used to address a deficiency in the synth, it's not. In the case of the filter sequencer as a general question you should ask: can I do this in the synth? if so, why aren't you doing it in the synth, let's say by using automation? if not, then why are you doing it at all?

I think z.prime nailed it. A few of my plug-ins do have filters by the way. :hihi: You might try to modulate these using built-in sources, DAW automation or MIDI CCs.

Cheers, Björn

Nighttime Walk

15 instances of Full Bucket's Blooo synth on Logic DAW.

Effects all Logic: Limiter 1, Chromaverb 6, RC24 Reverb 3 (whoops, this is NI), Enverb 1, Channel EQ 4, Compressor 3

https://soundcloud.com/user-506331101/nighttime-walk
Last edited by tickytock on Sun May 30, 2021 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

tickytock wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:15 am Nighttime Walk

Effects all Logic: Limiter 1, Chromaverb 6, RC 24 Reverb 3, Enverb 1, Channel EQ 4, Compressor 3

Blooo is a cool choice. Glad you got in before the deadline. :D :D :D
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

oooh im in. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Thanks everyone for the great replies. Clarified everything.
Now to get to work. I've got a couple of fun conceptual ideas, let's see if they make anything interesting.
Cheers :D
Bandcamp: brucerimell.bandcamp.com
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/bruce-rimell
Visual Art: www.biroz.net

brucerimell wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:38 pm I've got a couple of fun conceptual ideas
Concepts. Yah!

Aro wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:48 pm
brucerimell wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:38 pm I've got a couple of fun conceptual ideas
Concepts. Yah!
Conceptual ideas can be understood as anything)

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:37 pm
tickytock wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:15 am Nighttime Walk

Effects all Logic: Limiter 1, Chromaverb 6, RC 24 Reverb 3, Enverb 1, Channel EQ 4, Compressor 3

Blooo is a cool choice. Glad you got in before the deadline. :D :D :D
Yeah, Blooo is a wonderful, straightforward synth. Was anxious about the timeline and decided to stay up late. :hihi: Good luck with your track, if you're entering this OSC!

IV! wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:31 pm
Aro wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:48 pm
Concepts. Yah!
Conceptual ideas can be understood as anything)
I was just excited about the concept of a concept. Inspiration!

Return to “Instruments”