Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

SeeingInMidi wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:01 amBlock size affects automation accuracy...
jkez wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:23 am
antic604 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 am I don't think that's true at all.
Actually I'm 100% sure it's not.
Actually it is...
Wow, I owe you guys an apology. It really does do that :o :dog:

Not that it's enough for me to care, but still...

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jkez wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:23 am
antic604 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 am [I don't think that's true at all.
Actually I'm 100% sure it's not.
..Ive been sending support tickets since v2 about thiese issues but it just gets passed- I always get an answer its been frowarded to quality control, but nothing happens.
Enough for me to use something else for serious work.
Yeap, ive been waiting for a fix since v2 Too.

Damn! Is there a host that can do these basic things correctly? I'm not talking about any advanced functions! Just stable CPU, recording midi and audio correctly, and automation!

EnGee wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:40 pm Damn! Is there a host that can do these basic things correctly? I'm not talking about any advanced functions! Just stable CPU, recording midi and audio correctly, and automation!
I think this is an exceptinal issue? I tried the same thing in Bitwig and it was working as expected, i.e. there was no difference regardless of buffer setting. I'm really surprised S1 gets that wrong, as there should be no relation between buffer size and and this...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

How does SO5 Pro’s cpu usage compare with
Bitwig 3, which is more efficient?

I’m thinking of switching from Cubase and both look really interesting,

I'm tired of changing DAWs all these years. First I was looking for the perfect DAW, then being less and less demanding till I reached the point to just want a functional DAW!

I've just (re) bought S1 before yesterday because Cubase seems not trusty when comes to cpu stability! Now, I don't care if S1 doesn't bounce in place external instrument accurately, I just record it normally, but automation?! Come on!

Bitwig/Live is looking to attract a new generation only! So, their workflow and future development would only concentrate on that. For years, I'm mentioning midi files review because many of us are not drummers, but Trance and EDM don't require a Drummer at all! So, why bother?!

Reaper is a complete mess if you come from Cubase. Not impossible for midi composing, but it's a torture!

Reason has f**king codemetre and that stupid long mixer!

No man! I think I will stay with S1/Cubase (mostly, S1 because it's easier). One day, they'll fix it, and if not, then whatever broken is the song, I won't care!

I use a lot of hardware midi synths, also 4 Elektron synths that work on Overbridge.

I actually think Reaper is a great DAW apart from there’s weird midi clock issues. Cubase has a rock solid midi clock and I hear Bitwig’s is solid too and plays nice with external synths, I don’t much about SO5’s midi clock and external instrument integration.

EnGee wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:56 am I'm tired of changing DAWs all these years. First I was looking for the perfect DAW, then being less and less demanding till I reached the point to just want a functional DAW!
Studio One has always had issues with automation. Much of it has been documented on https://admiralbumblebee.com, for example. In fact some of the issues were actually fixed after he reported them to PreSonus. There have been all sorts of issues, from distorted waveforms to jitter to ridiculously long fades (upwards of 300+ ms) when drawing an instant volume fade.

That said, a lot of other DAWs also had issues with timing, jitter etc. in his tests. It does indeed seem like almost every DAW is "broken" in some fundamental way. At some point you just have to accept the flaws and decide whether it's enough to prevent you from making music.

I do wish PreSonus would focus more on basic features like automation, timing etc. rather than constantly throwing in new features. I guess it's harder to sell an upgrade for €150 if it's just a long list of fixes for things that should already have worked properly in the first place.
Last edited by AdvancedFollower on Sun May 02, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:05 am I do wish PreSonus would focus more on basic features like automation, timing etc. rather than constantly throwing in new features. I guess it's harder to sell an upgrade for €150 if it's just a long list of fixes for things that should already have worked properly in the first place.
Exactly.

I'd also be better off with throwing a hundred new features with every (paid) upgrade, but, I can see why they have to do it. It is what it is.

Yes I agree also. They should concentrate on solving the timing and automation bugs, then begin to add new features.

Anyway, let's enjoy the bugs and instabilities because maybe in the future the developers after cleaning everything, they would start emulating all these bugs and instabilities because it sounds so good :hihi:

Fix the missing Sysex support too, and how about a decent browser with mediabay like features for tagging content! Till then its Cubase for me.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

AdvancedFollower wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:05 am a lot of other DAWs also had issues with timing, jitter etc. in his tests. It does indeed seem like almost every DAW is "broken" in some fundamental way. At some point you just have to accept the flaws and decide whether it's enough to prevent you from making music.
QFT. I know pop is not the genre of choice here but if every DAW is “broken” and pop producers and writers are banging out tons of killer tracks on the regular that people love, I don’t think those flaws are going to destroy your music unless you let them.

I tried to calibrate the midi offset in S1 today (as mentioned in one of Gregor's videos). I couldn't find any delay :o I have zoomed in so close as he did, but both have .108 position from the second!! I use however 64 buffer now with 48khz (I might even can use 32 buffer!, but don't want to push that far :hihi: ) I haven't tested the audio recorded from an external instrument though (I will do it today).

I found other bugs while seeing videos on YouTube, but after examining them, none that I would encounter in my music making because I don't use those features that trigger those bugs.

So, S1 for me is better than Cubase (for now!). In S1, I don't face a specific problem but in Cubase I keep see the CPU instabity even after upgrading my processor!

Oh well, I decided to use S1 mainly and leave Cubase as a backup (because I don't know in the future which one will be f**ked up!).

I found other bugs while seeing videos on YouTube, but after examining them, none that I would encounter in my music making because I don't use those features that trigger those bugs.
That's probably the case with most of these bugs, not only in SO, but in other DAWs as well. If you don't use the DAW in such a way that a particular bug is triggered/affects you, it's a non-issue and it's hard to see what the big deal is. However if you happen to be the unlucky person who uses a particular feature in just the way that triggers the bug, it can be a showstopper and really hinder your creativity.

Another such issue is that a small number of users have had problems with automation not rendering unless you use realtime export. The progress indicator freezes halfway through, and any automation after that point fails to render. This has been going on for at least 5 years, but PreSonus never managed to find the cause of the bug and there are tons of users who claim they've never had that issue. I've seen it in one or two of my projects, with no logical explanation.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:07 am
Another such issue is that a small number of users have had problems with automation not rendering unless you use realtime export. The progress indicator freezes halfway through, and any automation after that point fails to render. This has been going on for at least 5 years, but PreSonus never managed to find the cause of the bug and there are tons of users who claim they've never had that issue. I've seen it in one or two of my projects, with no logical explanation.
Thanks for the info. I always render/export in real time, so this is also not a showstopper for me (I have a lot of time to kill, so why hurry! :hihi: )

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”