Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

BONES wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:40 pm There is only so much you can do with sound design. You're never going to get a big, deep resonant bassline from anything with a Ladder filter, for example, no matter how good your sound design skills are.
So one of the reasons the Moog ladder does what it does is gain compensation built into the filter so that as the resonance is increased towards self-oscillation the gain is reduced. This is to prevent gain spikes that could present problems.

There is a trick on the Subsequent 37 (and I suspect other Moogs) to get around this to a certain extent. On the Sub37 you can increase the multidrive along with the resonance via the mod wheel using controller mappings. This helps keep a lot of the bass present.

https://youtu.be/xl_24U_ATmM?t=705

For the case of the Sub37 I love his other method. A rubber band.

That's actually not true. Bob Moog explained in a documentary or interview or something I saw on YouTube years ago that it was the trade-off for making the filter at the price-point and power usage necessary for MiniMoog. It was not the filter he'd have used if he hadn't been constrained by price and packaging.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The "let's debate or argue or scream at/with BONES regarding the Moog ladder filter" dialog has been going on for about two years now. Maybe longer, maybe less, I dunno, but it's a huge amount of time and posts and wasted energy.

Did we really need yet another thread, about another NON-Moog synth, to become centered around this dialog? Can we please just move on?

He's fine. Just like Moog, he acknowledges the issue and is using the workaround they have provided.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

mholloway wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 am Did we really need yet another thread, about another NON-Moog synth, to become centered around this dialog? Can we please just move on?
There's certainly no ladder filter in any Junos. There was a diode ladder filter in the System 100.

Also, while I'm pointing out things, the MKS50/JX8/10 use the IR3105 filter which has a pair of 2 pole LPFs in series, not a bandpass. This is from the MKS-50 service manual.

BONES wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:02 am That's actually not true. Bob Moog explained in a documentary or interview or something I saw on YouTube years ago that it was the trade-off for making the filter at the price-point and power usage necessary for MiniMoog. It was not the filter he'd have used if he hadn't been constrained by price and packaging.
So the ladder filter existed before the Minimoog. And there were multiple designs including the one in the Mini. In the case of the Sub37 its a 6/12/18/24 LPF design. So I'm sure Bob was right, but that doesn't have really much to do with what I wrote ;)

Subsequent 37 sounds different than the Mini and their other gear. But the information I was sharing came from the Moog Music forums over the last decade (first in regards to the Voyager).

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:04 am
mholloway wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 am Did we really need yet another thread, about another NON-Moog synth, to become centered around this dialog? Can we please just move on?
There's certainly no ladder filter in any Junos. There was a diode ladder filter in the System 100.

Also, while I'm pointing out things, the MKS50/JX8/10 use the IR3105 filter which has a pair of 2 pole LPFs in series, not a bandpass. This is from the MKS-50 service manual.

Diode ladder in the TB303 as well. Just sayin.

mholloway wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 am The "let's debate or argue or scream at/with BONES regarding the Moog ladder filter" dialog has been going on for about two years now. Maybe longer, maybe less, I dunno, but it's a huge amount of time and posts and wasted energy.

Did we really need yet another thread, about another NON-Moog synth, to become centered around this dialog? Can we please just move on?
There are 22 pages of posts and a couple of posts on this subject so not sure what you're moaning about but I've said what I had to say ;)

Anyway ... Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

rezoneight wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:49 pm Diode ladder in the TB303 as well. Just sayin.
Of course. The 303 is kind of a weirdo though in terms of the evolution of the Roland "filter sound." If I had to guess I would think that it was designed by a different group that didn't get the Roland memo on clean filters. I don't know, maybe someone who's really hot on the 303 history will elaborate.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:55 pm Try this...

1. Open Model84 - default preset (which has no name)
2. Modify it
3. Attempt to Save As a new preset

Result: Save As is grayed out.

Seriously Softube? Not only can I not overwrite the factory presets I can't even Save As on the default patch? Are you joking?

I really hope that's a bug and not a conscious design choice.
Almost no one lets you overwrite factory presets. How is this different with Softube? As for saving the Init preset - It's not a preset. It's the initial state of the synth. Choose Add Preset instead. Problem solved. What's the big deal?
Last edited by teilo on Tue May 04, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aloysius wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:20 pm Anyway ... Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)
My demo is running out, the GAS has subsided. No filter FM input on the filter module is weak sauce.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:43 pm
My demo is running out, the GAS has subsided. No filter FM input on the filter module is weak sauce.
Same here, sadly. It looks great, it sounds great, it has me convinced that it's 100% a "Juno 106" -- but that's the problem. I don't need a Juno-106. I have nothing against them, whatsoever -- in fact I like them a lot. But when I already have a plugin folder absolute brimming with Roland emulations including (at least) one Juno 106, two Jupiter 8s, and (at least) one (probably more) Juno-60s, it's just too hard to care about grabbing another. Especially for such a relatively simple synth.

Anyhow, I think Softube is doing a great job with the actual emulation, I just wish they would pick synths that hadn't already been emulated a dozen times. Minimoog and Juno-106...... how about an Xpander, softube?

Does Softube vsti not allow for program changes / assign midi controllers to change patches? Pretty basic design if so,I'm wondering how guys would perform live with this synth,without program changes.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

mholloway wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:51 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:43 pm
Same here, sadly. It looks great, it sounds great, it has me convinced that it's 100% a "Juno 106" -- but that's the problem. I don't need a Juno-106. I have nothing against them, whatsoever -- in fact I like them a lot. But when I already have a plugin folder absolute brimming with Roland emulations including (at least) one Juno 106, two Jupiter 8s, and (at least) one (probably more) Juno-60s, it's just too hard to care about grabbing another. Especially for such a relatively simple synth.

Anyhow, I think Softube is doing a great job with the actual emulation, I just wish they would pick synths that hadn't already been emulated a dozen times. Minimoog and Juno-106...... how about an Xpander, softube?
Low hanging fruit. Xpander certainly isn't that ;)

Return to “Instruments”