Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

DollyNipples wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 am Dunno why people would use Cubase with the dongle and other stupid requirements,
I don't know why people troll like that. There would tend to reasons for using the thing, this? :shrug:

anyway, VSL is definitely going iLok. It doesn't look like they're going to force that dongle but use the cloud service. They're not looking at a serial key on the local *computer, which I'm glad for. There are worse situations to be in than having to authorize on a USB physical key, which can take more time and effort to sort if a failure of that *ahem physical key. Facts. I've had as many computers die as dongles fail.
Another is Steinberg has not equivocated on the subscription model, that bit of conjecture unsupported.

Both are going to remain status quo for a while.

Are they finally closing down? About time...

don't get me wrong, I find that there are plenty of fuckups and idiot decisions made by Steiny but I don't think they'll hurt themselves botching this very badly.
The syncrosoft whole thing seems like one day you'll need to adopt the other thing, they won't update it and it will fail.

That is a good point jancivil. The dongle is doomed to end and it will never be something easy like with offline activation option.

I'm not keen on a frequent online check or iLok or codemeter. I think my choice is clear seems from now. The question is : will I be waiting till the last minute or take action now?

Yeah, it is high maintenance and another thing to know about that has no other real use in the world.
My experience with it has been you have to keep it very updated if you want to authorize new things. at all.
So at some point new authorizations on it would seem to go kaput.

iLok seems about as high maintenance but while I don't avoid it per se I'm not a fan of having to have an account. It's not been many things so I forget what my log in is (over years of not needing to care) and made several accounts. so it was a bit opaque, requiring one to be organized rather than a ditz.

I have actually grown to quite like iLok’s license management. Most devs provide 2 or 3 licenses and I can easily batch move them to and from multiple computers, the dongle or just run via cloud. I find it simpler and more convenient than most other methods these days, especially with large numbers of plugins, and far faster than the sluggish clumsiness of Syncrosoft eLicenser.

Yeah, two licenses is better than one. They may go for that, I don't really see a great argument against it. I would like to have more than one project active, for instance, turning the engine on/off back and forth copying over etc gets old.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue May 04, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'll be damned if they don't allow 2 or more machine activations.

Soundplex wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:00 pm
DollyNipples wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 am Dunno why people would use Cubase
That's the right question
if one wanted to know something about it one would present a wholly different attitude

chk071 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:54 pm
DollyNipples wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 am Dunno why people would use Cubase with the dongle and other stupid requirements, when there are other DAWs that are better and have less headachey validation
I'm pretty sure most put up with the dongle, because there is nothing better for them than Cubase.

Anyway, not sure why we're going on discussing this when Steinberg announced that they drop the dongle. ;)

BTW, from the DAW's you mentioned, none is better than Cubase for me. Opinions eh?
You put the dongle in your studio DAW once time and then don't think about it. It isn't bothering at all, no more than any other USB peripherals. It's only a problem if you travel around a lot with a laptop (but not really...).

DollyNipples wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 am Dunno why people would use Cubase
...because it's a first class DAW. Simple really. Dunno why people troll like you do and ask stupid questions :shrug:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

cnt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:54 pm
DollyNipples wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 am Dunno why people would use Cubase with the dongle and other stupid requirements, when there are other DAWs that are better and have less headachey validation
I'm pretty sure most put up with the dongle, because there is nothing better for them than Cubase.

Anyway, not sure why we're going on discussing this when Steinberg announced that they drop the dongle. ;)

BTW, from the DAW's you mentioned, none is better than Cubase for me. Opinions eh?
You put the dongle in your studio DAW once time and then don't think about it. It isn't bothering at all, no more than any other USB peripherals. It's only a problem if you travel around a lot with a laptop (but not really...).
It gets bothering when you have a couple of MIDI controllers, audio interface, or other USB devices which all need USB ports to be plugged in... it also gets bothering when you don't want that dongle being plugged in the whole time. I don't do that, not with my eLicenser, nor with my iLok. Any device which is constantly plugged in wears over time. Especially when it has storage.

Anyway... thankfully, we don't have to discuss that anymore in the near future.

Why I have the feeling it will be iLok? Not sure if there is a dongle or just their software manager.

This has a big advantage to Steinberg because they just concentrate on the actual software development leaving all protection problems and maintenance to Pace.

It's possible also they don't want to be clear about it now, because many users would sell their licenses? Does iLok (especially with dongle) would make us trapped with Cubase? Selling it that time would be costy? Don't know! I think I'll try to sell my Steinberg software locally now, as I don't want to risk it.

EnGee wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm Why I have the feeling it will be iLok?
Dunno. Absolutely nothing indicates that. :P

They develop their own system.

BTW, I don't think your worries are necessary either. The Cubase team, and the team handling their copy protection are totally different things, and nothing in development hinders the other department, I'm sure.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue May 04, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”