One Synth Challenge #147: Any Full Bucket Music Synth Challenge (schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aro wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 pm
IV! wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:31 pm
Aro wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:48 pm
brucerimell wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:38 pm I've got a couple of fun conceptual ideas
Concepts. Yah!
Conceptual ideas can be understood as anything)
I was just excited about the concept of a concept. Inspiration!
Inception!

z.prime wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:48 pm
Aro wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 pm I was just excited about the concept of a concept. Inspiration!
Inception!
Inceptiration?
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

I would love to participate. However the Modular seems to crash in my MacBook Air M1 with Bitwig (currently three tracks and the last track crashes, or mutes the whole Bitwig.)

I will try with Logic Pro and keep you updated.

Same with Logic Pro, Modular is muted after few minutes.

Dartelec wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:11 amthe Modular seems to crash in my MacBook Air M1 with Bitwig .. same with Logic Pro
Maybe there's an issue with the M1 specific to Modulair? There are plenty of other synths to try: Mono/Fury, Fury-800, and the list goes on :)

P.S. I just loaded up The Blooo yesterday and realized it would also be a quite nice one for OSC with lots of options for envelope modulation and such... :tu:

I've been working a lot developing ModulAir presets lately, so this was timely! Here's another early entry for this month's OSC.

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/into-the-night

Very subtle external effects here - save compressor sidechains, this is pretty much pure ModulAir. Lots of fun to be had with ModulAir - experimenting with the sequencers, emulating the setup of various analog synths, various FM setups, or just plain going crazy with routing and modulating everything.

DAW: Studio One Professional 5.2
Full Bucket of choice: ModulAir
ModulAires: 41, from init. No samples / wavetables.
Efx: ProEQ, DD Compressor, IVGI, DC1A, CA-2A, Frontier, TDR VOS Slick EQ, StereoTool, Overtone, PSP Xenon
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Hey Bjorn,

I am using Ragnarok. I just noticed It doesn't pass midi through. Is there a way I can activate that? It would make it a bit easier to layer.

Thanks
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

z.prime wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pmMaybe there's an issue with the M1 specific to Modulair?
Chances are that (some of) my plug-ins do not work with M1 Apples. Since I do not own such a device I cannot confirm nor fix that.
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 pmI am using Ragnarok. I just noticed It doesn't pass midi through. Is there a way I can activate that? It would make it a bit easier to layer.
If you are using Reaper you can do it this way:
ragnarok.png
Not sure how this might work in other hosts...

Cheers, Björn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Awesome ....thanks Bjorn.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Thanks Björn, Tricent is working nicely, so it seems to be a issue with Modular. So this is good opportunity for me to explore possibilities of very nice sounding Tricent!

Rules states that "delays that perform modulation to achieve their sound are ALLOWED, but the modulation usage must be minimal". I'm not tech guru so wanted to ask: does all delays are considered modulation effects or only ones that have modulation knob (or something similar)? There are some simple delays with only few knobs, so was wondering if I push feedback to 11, will I break this rule?

Here's a "promo video" for my submission on YouTube :D. Nothing fancy, just a short loop based on my ModulAir "cockpit" fantasy. (Apologies for those asynchronous meters - I couldn't get the math right!)

https://youtu.be/dHxqzW7papE
MrKarolus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:15 pm I'm not tech guru so wanted to ask: does all delays are considered modulation effects or only ones that have modulation knob (or something similar)? There are some simple delays with only few knobs, so was wondering if I push feedback to 11, will I break this rule?
A delay isn't a modulation effect in and of itself, but if you can manipulate the tone and pitch of the delay signal, it has modulating capabilities.

I'd say that as long as an (external) delay is simply cloning the original signal without any form of pitch shifting or morphing, you're almost always on safe ground. But when the feedback loop starts to *define* the sound, you've probably gone too far, even with a simple delay.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:01 pm
MrKarolus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:15 pmdoes all delays are considered modulation effects or only ones that have modulation knob
A delay isn't a modulation effect in and of itself, but if you can manipulate the tone and pitch of the delay signal, it has modulating capabilities.

I'd say that as long as an (external) delay is simply cloning the original signal without any form of pitch shifting or morphing, you're almost always on safe ground. But when the feedback loop starts to *define* the sound, you've probably gone too far, even with a simple delay.
Right, and even more specifically: you can adjust the time a delay occurs. when you do that, you're also affecting the pitch because you're making the playback rate longer or shorter. In fact this is how most chorus effects are implemented: using a short delay line with a modulated time, and then differing them for each channel in a stereo chorus. This why you often see - oddly enough - a delay time in a chorus plugin.

All that said, I believe the rule is about allowing delays that might be "analog" sounding, like those that would emulate a tape with some wow & flutter, which might slightly chorus the feedback to make it less digital sounding and act more like a real tape would, so just don't make that chorusing effect especially noticeable and there's no problem.

And, as with ever effect, if you're asking "is this too much"? Is it drastically affecting the sound? Then probably so.

MrKarolus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:15 pm Rules states that "delays that perform modulation to achieve their sound are ALLOWED, but the modulation usage must be minimal". I'm not tech guru so wanted to ask: does all delays are considered modulation effects or only ones that have modulation knob (or something similar)? There are some simple delays with only few knobs, so was wondering if I push feedback to 11, will I break this rule?
In addition to what schiing and z.prime had to say, I would point out since you mention cranking the feedback to 11, if your idea is to use it to repeat an audio clip indefinitely, that has been considered equivalent to sampling a sound for consistency.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

I get the feeling I've been interpreting the grey areas of the rules a bit more loosely than the consensus. I'll dial it back in future.

Return to “Instruments”