Disadvantages of DAWs in comparison to others

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mdstudio wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 pm
jancivil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 pm "it's pretty much the perfect DAW"
Well, if you look at my post, I said the perfect DAW for me. :)
if you look at it you'll see I was responding to something which quoted that
which is where the joke lies for me

and we can see you snipped the quote, if we look
Last edited by jancivil on Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:34 pm
simmo75 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:52 pm A question for the hardcore Reaper users.

I love it but am having a midi issue, I use mostly external synths and when I use midi clock it races for about 2 bars before the timing catches up.

Do you know how to fix this?

My other DAWs don’t have this so I know it’s a Reaper issue. It’s stopping me from switching permanently to it, and I want to...
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20962
Thanks mate, I have tried the script and it doesn’t make any difference here. I also tried the delay compensation but it doesn’t change the first couple of bars being out of whack.

I don't know if this is a disadvantage in comparison to other things, but Cubase does not seem to fully grasp there are situations which use multiple ports for MIDI. IE: there are situations where it has to apply and all it knows from is channel as a target, and a workaround (or an abandonment) now ensues.

simmo75 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:40 pm
simmo75 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:52 pm A question for the hardcore Reaper users.

I love it but am having a midi issue, I use mostly external synths and when I use midi clock it races for about 2 bars before the timing catches up.

My other DAWs don’t have this so I know it’s a Reaper issue. It’s stopping me from switching permanently to it, and I want to...
Thanks mate, I have tried the script and it doesn’t make any difference here. I also tried the delay compensation but it doesn’t change the first couple of bars being out of whack.
I don't use any external hardware so I actually have no idea, but could the clock catch up in time if you use the "count-in measures" option in the metronome settings?

Niowiad wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:48 pm
simmo75 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:40 pm

I don't use any external hardware so I actually have no idea, but could the clock catch up in time if you use the "count-in measures" option in the metronome settings?
I alway have a 2 bar pre-record count in and unfortunately no joy with that.

"The strength of Reaper is exactly that it isn't the DAW that other people like"

its strength lies in being unliked then

I've met people like that.

Anyway, whenever I boot up Reaper every half a year or so, to try something, I manage to work with it. I don't love it though. Pretty much the opposite. Already begins with the settings dialog. If I need a search box to navigate, there's something fundamentally wrong.

I used a search function in Cubase the other day, first time. This is on topic because it's whingey.

They put this in somewhere along the line fairly recently, a record enable button in Key Editor. Pointless and utterly redundant really, since in the editor you may enable only the one track or event to record by using the solo edit button (99% of the time for me). With the gap in audio engine, switching focus interrupts the audio. SO I need to set a key command to toggle it. Couldn't find it, search in key command.

Another disadvantage of using Cubase is they decide to fix shit that ain't broken and break things in the doing. Or do something just to have something to do I think. Like redesigning how sends are accomplished. It's extra steps now, a right-click menu and everything, really brilliant.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:35 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:17 pm
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:26 pm To be fair, Reapers strength is it's ultra configurability, and it's also it's weakness. I've got it set up the way I want to work with it, but it took probably a year of tweaking. That sets up the fun thing of having a super valuable user configuration, that would kill you to lose.
Yeah, no. This is often repeated but it's not true for everyone. I don't really think about preserving any setup. I just install it factory fresh on any machine that I need it on. The strength of Reaper is exactly that it isn't the DAW that other people like and that Justin keeps it that way by not listening to people who complain about it in threads like these.

What you perceive as loyalty is just a recognition that Reaper is unique in how it works and so there really aren't other choices for many Reaper users. The things that other people complain about, e.g., scripting, are the things that make it powerful and unique. We don't want it changed because then we won't have a DAW that works this way.
Which is fair enough. But, what you have to see is that that makes Reaper rather something for the people on the margins of society. The geeks, who need something like scripting, and who don't mind the butt ugly interface, or the gazillions of menu entries, and settings. And those who don't mind the barebone approach, without many DAW included plugins and content, and, IF there are included plugins, then they have a GUI which barely resemble more than non-GUI plugins.
Everything that you mention is either preference or a benefit. I like the interface, it's clean and utilitarian. I get work done in it. No, I don't want my DAW vendor wasting time programming plugins. I can't believe that's even a thing that anyone cares about given how many plugins that we all have.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:17 pm
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:26 pm To be fair, Reapers strength is it's ultra configurability, and it's also it's weakness. I've got it set up the way I want to work with it, but it took probably a year of tweaking. That sets up the fun thing of having a super valuable user configuration, that would kill you to lose.
Yeah, no. This is often repeated but it's not true for everyone. I don't really think about preserving any setup. I just install it factory fresh on any machine that I need it on. The strength of Reaper is exactly that it isn't the DAW that other people like and that Justin keeps it that way by not listening to people who complain about it in threads like these.

What you perceive as loyalty is just a recognition that Reaper is unique in how it works and so there really aren't other choices for many Reaper users. The things that other people complain about, e.g., scripting, are the things that make it powerful and unique. We don't want it changed because then we won't have a DAW that works this way.
You're contradicting yourself here, I don't customize or run scripts, scripting is why Reaper is unique and a special snowflake! :lol:

Reaper should remain how it is. There's an audience for it. I'm just saying that that audience is not very big, and that it's not the common audience. And, I'm pretty sure that the Reaperites know all that. All the more surprising that they're still on a crusade frequently. But then, that's not entirely unknown for that kind of audience either. It's the same with the Linuxers.

same reason people join gangs, the solidity in sameness, extended family for people that missed having one, 'so say we all' etc

chk071 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 pm Reaper should remain how it is. There's an audience for it. I'm just saying that that audience is not very big, and that it's not the common audience. And, I'm pretty sure that the Reaperites know all that. All the more surprising that they're still on a crusade frequently. But then, that's not entirely unknown for that kind of audience either. It's the same with the Linuxers.
The audience is pretty big I would bet, mostly because of it's intro price for non pros. I have two old musician collaborators that use it. Locally it's Live, Logic and Reaper, Pro Tools in the bigger studios. Hardly anyone I know uses Bitwig, DP, Cubase etc. Like music, popularity says nothing about the DAW, more about the hype.

machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:45 pm The audience is pretty big I would bet, mostly because of it's intro price for non pros.
I'm doubtful. Very.

Especially the casual hobbyists tend to use what their pro produzah role models use. That's why Sylenth1 is such a big thing. Money isn't a big issue these days either.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”