Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

the indications I noticed from the language used is that they are interested in their own system. They own Syncrosoft, they ain't gwyne be ownin no iLok.

They have already Syncrosoft. So, why they don't just keep the same system?! They could just make the Pro/Artist authorize like Elements (with software version) and that's it! No dongle required!

No, something new (and ugly) is coming :cry: (kidding!)

Anyway, I have checked the local market and here in KVR. I won't bother! I would lose about 50% :o It doesn't worth selling it. Let's have faith in our goddess :hail: Yamaha!

ramseysounds wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 pm
DollyNipples wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 am Dunno why people would use Cubase
...because it's a first class DAW. Simple really. Dunno why people troll like you do and ask stupid questions :shrug:
I wasn't trolling. I just think that a program like Cubase that needs a dongle that could be damaged is a waste of time when there are other, better programs you can get. I think FL Studio and Reason are superior with all the modules they come with, and no dongle. Even Acid with its somewhat clunky validation is better than that. And these days, you can get Cakewalk and Soundwave, and possibly other awesome DAWs, for free with a simple registration and no dongle.

If you really like that dongle, that's fine. I just think there are other programs that are better and less of a hassle.

Also, what kinds of features are exclusive to Cubase anymore? What does it have that most of today's DAWs don't have, aside from that dongle that can get lost, damaged, or just plain refuse to work? If the dongle has improved, I would understand. I would also be open to learning about the features that make Cubase worth both the price and the dongle.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 pm...in the near future.
Sorry, can't be bothered to read the whole 28 pages - how "near" we're talking about? Like still this year? Or next year with v12? For laptop users - like me - the dongle is actually a pretty big deal.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 am
chk071 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 pm...in the near future.
Sorry, can't be bothered to read the whole 28 pages - how "near" we're talking about? Like still this year? Or next year with v12? For laptop users - like me - the dongle is actually a pretty big deal.
According to Greg, months away. So this year most likely.

ozinga wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:48 amAccording to Greg, months away. So this year most likely.
Wow, then that's good news indeed! Thanks!! :tu: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

cnt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 pm You put the dongle in your studio DAW once time and then don't think about it. It isn't bothering at all, no more than any other USB peripherals. It's only a problem if you travel around a lot with a laptop (but not really...).
- my first Cubase dongle (the printer port type, IIRC) went broken. It took a train + bus ticket and many hours to get a new one, next business day. The shopkeeper took one from a new boxed Cubase, I hope he didn't get any flak from Steinberg over doing so.
- I never have enough USB ports; my Cubase dongle is twisted from sitting next to another USB connector; I tried adding a USB card but failed (after a few stressful attempts).
- the USB dongle has to be purchased - I wasted money on 2 of those. What on Earth for?
- as mentioned in this thread, Cubase (used to? still does?) calls the USB dongles many times per second. I don't like having any of my PC resources wasted on a concern that is meaningless to the customer.

I never stole Cubase; still I'm punished.

DollyNipples wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:37 am
...because it's a first class DAW. Simple really. Dunno why people troll like you do and ask stupid questions :shrug:
I wasn't trolling. I just think that a program like Cubase that needs a dongle that could be damaged is a waste of time when there are other, better programs you can get. I think FL Studio and Reason are superior with all the modules they come with, and no dongle. Even Acid with its somewhat clunky validation is better than that. And these days, you can get Cakewalk and Soundwave, and possibly other awesome DAWs, for free with a simple registration and no dongle.

If you really like that dongle, that's fine. I just think there are other programs that are better and less of a hassle.

Also, what kinds of features are exclusive to Cubase anymore? What does it have that most of today's DAWs don't have, aside from that dongle that can get lost, damaged, or just plain refuse to work? If the dongle has improved, I would understand. I would also be open to learning about the features that make Cubase worth both the price and the dongle.
All this fuss over a dongle! Ive had mine for about 8 years; never stopped working. If it uses a precious usb port, get a hub or a splitter. Look up Dom Sigalas on youtube; he knows cubase inside out. To be honest, I’d rather take notice of a pro composer like Hans Zimmerman than any keyboard warrior on a forum 🤷‍♂️ You seriously cant believe FL is better than cubase? I know it’s all subjective and personal taste, but seriously?! 😖
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

EnGee wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:38 am They have already Syncrosoft. So, why they don't just keep the same system?! They could just make the Pro/Artist authorize like Elements (with software version) and that's it! No dongle required!
Oh please, no... not that. You'd be limited to a single authorization, and you would lose that authorization every time a Windows update breaks your soft eLicenser (yes, it happenened in the past here. eLicenser is to blame, not the Windows update), or when your computer's hardware fails. Yes, you don't lose the license then, but, it's still a pain in the ass, to delete your soft eLicenser, and create a new one. I've been there.

They develop a new system, because dongle is a PITA, and because eLicenser in general is a PITA, and, because they see they lose sales because of it. Otherwise there'd be no point in changing the system. It's good that they change it. eLicenser is not good.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you advocate for eLicenser. Is a system really that good for you that allows only a single authorization, and when you move the license to the dongle, you can't even move it back to soft eLicenser? I think that's total crap, honestly. I take every single C/R protection over it, every day. I take even iLok over it. At least iLok lets you move the licenses back and forth with no problem, and most plugins allow 2 or 3 machine activations.

I agree with chk071, soft e-licenser is crap. I have wasted a lot of time with it (Padshop 2 and Retrologue 2 owner here).

I hope they introduce a completely different system. Something like NI's Native Access - simple, fast, and reliable.

Anybody prepared to cloud registration? (hoping they allow offline installations...) :D

- Mario

DollyNipples wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:37 am
I wasn't trolling. I just think that a program like Cubase that needs a dongle that could be damaged is a waste of time when there are other, better programs you can get.
You are trolling. Now you want to gaslight us on what you're doing. So you act like there is some point here. You don't what to know about why someone does what they do or how they work, and you can't know anyone else's mind. Nothing of your posts is in good faith and it's a huge failure of collegiality to keep hammering at it. One could tell you a million things Cubase does FL does not, let alone ergonomic differences and difference of approach to music in the very first place (yeah, guess what, I was never attracted to something written by a guy that couldn't sort what the two numbers in a time signature the f**k even do) but it would be a waste of one's time utterly because, as trolls do, it's all in bad faith. You aren't actually able to come up with an argument any better than 'it needs a dongle that can be damaged', evidently.

You're just acting big based in a preference for a tool. it's entirely obtuse and it's juvenile.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:02 pm I agree with chk071, soft e-licenser is crap. I have wasted a lot of time with it (Padshop 2 and Retrologue 2 owner here).

I hope they introduce a completely different system. Something like NI's Native Access - simple, fast, and reliable.
I'd be perfectly OK with that.
mabian wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:04 pm Anybody prepared to cloud registration? (hoping they allow offline installations...) :D

- Mario
I just linked to this a few pages ago: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/license- ... u=chakkman

chk071 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:45 am
EnGee wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:38 am They have already Syncrosoft. So, why they don't just keep the same system?! They could just make the Pro/Artist authorize like Elements (with software version) and that's it! No dongle required!
Oh please, no... not that. You'd be limited to a single authorization, and you would lose that authorization every time a Windows update breaks your soft eLicenser (yes, it happenened in the past here. eLicenser is to blame, not the Windows update), or when your computer's hardware fails. Yes, you don't lose the license then, but, it's still a pain in the ass, to delete your soft eLicenser, and create a new one. I've been there.

They develop a new system, because dongle is a PITA, and because eLicenser in general is a PITA, and, because they see they lose sales because of it. Otherwise there'd be no point in changing the system. It's good that they change it. eLicenser is not good.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you advocate for eLicenser. Is a system really that good for you that allows only a single authorization, and when you move the license to the dongle, you can't even move it back to soft eLicenser? I think that's total crap, honestly. I take every single C/R protection over it, every day. I take even iLok over it. At least iLok lets you move the licenses back and forth with no problem, and most plugins allow 2 or 3 machine activations.
Don't get me wrong! I hate e-licenser software based protection! I also once lost my Elements authorisation because I installed it in one system that I deleted and installed another OS above it! The dongle is much much better than the software only e-licenser.

I was just asking, why they don't develop an existing one. In the beginning, software e-licenser based protection wasn't with only one installation!! I could install Elements 6 (at the time) on three computers! But they changed that to just one installation (I don't remember if they started it from Elements 7 or 8 ).

I wish they make the new one like S1 or NI or Arturia but not like Reason that requires you to login online every time you use it!!! Unless you install that crap codemeter.

See my post above. ;)

Interesting that there's so many "bury your head in the sand" almost doom prophecies, and so few who actually inform themselves, and take a look at what Steinberg is actually planning. Information and facts are so much better than imaginations of what else catastrophic might or might not happen.

Nothing against you EnGee. I don't know how many times I posted links to statements of Steinberg reps now, and still nobody reads them. It's almost as if people want to imagine things, and be scared of not tangible and unreal stuff.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”