2021 - Favorite Drum Software?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I'm mostly using a combination of hardware drum machines (controlled via MIDI) and Ableton Live drum racks these days, but I have to give Reason's Redrum props for being my go-to drum thing for a long time. Even after I switched to Logic, I kept using Reason alongside it via ReWire, mostly so I could keep using Redrum. Simple but great!
Stormchild

I really, really like Ujam's Beatmaker and Virtual Drummer VSTi. Individually, they are focused but when you get hold of a few of them, you get a broad range of styles to work with. They all include master effects so they are a really good all-in-one solution and I never bother using multiple outs, they sound great without.

Within each of the Beatmakers you get plenty of variety - half-a-dozen kits that you can mix and match. e.g. If you kind of like one kit but would prefer to use the snare from another one, you can do that. They come packed with pre-sequenced patterns but you can also program your own or do a bit of both. The Virtual Drummer instruments are a bit different but still good - multiple instrument choices within a kit but no ability to mix'n'match and no sequenced patterns, either. They go on sale fairly regularly so you can build your collection as you go.

Beyond that, it's hard to go past NI Battery. It's quick, easy and comes with a LOT of samples to wade through. That said, everywhere I have replaced Battery with one of the Ujam plugins, the drums have sounded better.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I reinstalled my IM Drumaxx yesterday. It is not like I could not do without, Reason has loads of drum stuff already (if not too much), but I just have this thing with physical modeling. It is the same with synths; even though modern samplepacks give old physical modeling the backwheel in terms of realism, the control over- and expressiveness of physical modeling just inspires me.
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

So,another list of... :D
Anyway,my personal choice:for drum synthesis Microtonic it's still the best imho,to manage samples Algonaut Atlas,and with incoming version 2 will be a killer app
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

reusenoise wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:26 am So,another list of... :D
Anyway,my personal choice:for drum synthesis Microtonic it's still the best imho,to manage samples Algonaut Atlas,and with incoming version 2 will be a killer app
yes microtonic, light on CPU on no tons of samples to manage and that planetarium is wonderfull !

liquidsound wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:49 am
layzer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 am still Linplug RMIV for me, found it, demoed it and never looked back.
And neither forward to RMV :hihi:
i tried to love RMV, but for me it was just overkill with all the added
loop junk that i already did with my DAW, EnergyXT2. RMIV had the
basic features and simplicity i preffered. and for some reason the RMV gui was
real sluggish under EXT2.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

• Battery 4, with Sononym as a sample browser, for "drum machine" stuff
  • Addictive Drums 2 for acoustic kits
  • Microtonic for electronic blippy kits
  • Modular hardware for more unusual sounds; harsh FM plinks, chaotic noise hats, ringing filters, choppy samples... Reaktor or Reason can do this nearly as well, but hardware is more immediate and fun.

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

First off, thanks all. What’s amazing is most of the plugs recommend are close to 10 years old or more. Which is fine, I just find that amazing. For example, Addictive Drums was my absolute favorite for acoustic sounding kits over 10 years ago. Good to see it’s still going strong. And Microtonik - the same..what a classic.

I guess its because most folks make everything in the DAW sequencer now, and I do the same, or plug in an old drum machine. I mean, Ableton does about everything. Sometimes I just like a little change to come up with patterns or sounds that I would not have thought of.

I think for me, Kick 2 and maybe the Sugarbytes drum computer may be good for what I want. That said, I did grab Break Tweaker for $10, and I will have a go at that this week.

imrae wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:16 am
  • Modular hardware for more unusual sounds; harsh FM plinks, chaotic noise hats, ringing filters, choppy samples... Reaktor or Reason can do this nearly as well, but hardware is more immediate and fun.
Im really close to selling my modular and going to Reaktor. I agree that hardware is more reactive and fun, but we are talking $200 versus over 2 grand in investment. And I feel like Reaktor can probably do 100x more than my modular. Anyway, just interesting that you brought that up.

I prefer Logic's Drum Machine Designer, Step Sequencer and Drummer. IMO, works better than drum plugins.
Use Bitwig more than Logic though... so there I use the Bitwig Drum Machine and the Grid plus sample some synth drum/percussion sounds.
Also have a couple hardware drum machines which have their own unique capability and sound.
Plus hardware modular which I sample into the DAW when making my own kits.

stash98 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 pm
imrae wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:16 am
Im really close to selling my modular and going to Reaktor. I agree that hardware is more reactive and fun, but we are talking $200 versus over 2 grand in investment. And I feel like Reaktor can probably do 100x more than my modular. Anyway, just interesting that you brought that up.
For me, modular is more hands on and fun... I start recording in my DAW and make lots of drum/percussion sounds with my modular gear... then chop it up in the DAW to make drum kits.

I have Reaktor and could certainly do the same, but I find the workflow tedious and feels like a chore, not a pleasure... YMMV

Another OT from me.
After more than 20 years ITB I started to return to extern gear two years ago. Yes, the hole with modular can become huge quite fast. But it's a lot of fun making sounds with it. And for me it's all about fun. I nearly never open VM anymore.

For my acoustic fix it's been Addictive Drums 1and2 for some time. If I need more I'll hire a drummer. For just about everything else it's been Microtonic. Not just by itself either, I use to drive other sample players like Live's drumracks or Bitwig's drum machine and Battery. My newest addition is Klevgrand's Slammer.

My next move is to start my modular rack and I think I am going to stick to percussion/drums to start out. I picked up an Arturia 6U case, I just need to get some stuff in there :wink:

Return to “Instruments”