DSP563xx Emulator (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

recursive one wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:06 pm Great!
And is the emulator itself going to be a VSTi plugin?
Yes it will :)

Little Update:

Emulator has now been updated to run on Win/Mac/Linux, still ironing out a few bugs could be a while off initial release yet.
We have the Virus B ROM working with it now along with the C and its also now compatible with controllers such as VirusHC.

We are in need of GUI designers, if anybody could put me in touch with any that would be awesome :)

Much Thanks

numerouno wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:32 pm Little Update:

Emulator has now been updated to run on Win/Mac/Linux, still ironing out a few bugs could be a while off initial release yet.
We have the Virus B ROM working with it now along with the C and its also now compatible with controllers such as VirusHC.

We are in need of GUI designers, if anybody could put me in touch with any that would be awesome :)

Much Thanks
I'm staggered that progress is happening immensely quicker than I imagined. Do you estimate that an initial release will happen this year? :hyper:

I also just left a Support Ticket for Jani at Mystery Island Editors about if they would be interested in helping and will let you know if they respond :)

Just a question if I could...

is this 563xx emulation single-threaded ?

On Github you mentioned a "Core i7 4790K @ 4 GHz", but I'm assuming only 1 core is used. This would be great since one could parallelize multiple 563xx emulations across multiple physical cores, opening up to multi-DSP devices emulation (synths having 2 or more 563xx coprocessors onboard, like the Nord Lead, etc...) much sooner than expected.

...And the Korg OASYS PCI too ! Not very popular but with a great story behind (starting in 1992).
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

:o A nice way to preserve these synths for the future, hardware won't last forever.
Hopefully it will be usable in a DAW without too much CPU usage.

xhunaudio wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:25 am is this 563xx emulation single-threaded ?
Thats correct and also your assumption. As the DSP only has one core, the emulation uses only one core to emulate it, opening up possibilities to run multiple DSP emulations on multiple cores.
https://k1v.nilsschneider.de - Kawai K1 emulated as VSTi/AU
https://heatvst.com - Android Synthesizer with full VST integration
https://gpuimpulsereverb.de - Use your GPU as reverberation DSP

Wow, this is really amazing - congrats guys! :)

Nils Schneider wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:32 am
xhunaudio wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:25 am is this 563xx emulation single-threaded ?
Thats correct and also your assumption. As the DSP only has one core, the emulation uses only one core to emulate it, opening up possibilities to run multiple DSP emulations on multiple cores.
Thank you for the info, I'm following with much interest... 25-years old memories are awakening :)

And we get a multimode virus a,b,c?
And access music to notthing?

Hpwenzel wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 pm And we get a multimode virus a,b,c?
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but I can't imagine there will be any sort of mix-and-matching of the different Virus synths ala u-he Diva. These are individual ROM files that are identical to the source synth. The positive is that, so long as the Emulator is up and running, we'll be able to load each and every one of these digital synths as they were originally designed. These aren't analog synths requiring component-level modeling, zero-delay-feedback filters, and all the things that an analog emulation would need. These are purely digital synths and the identical code is being run. In theory, the results would be as if we had the hardware synth were right in front of us. So far, the results look to be positive!

The downside is that you can't hot-glue the TI hypersaws to the Virus C synth because the Virus C didn't have that. Something like that would require a custom synth and many more years of building an entirely new instrument from the ground-up, understanding the different Virus models, and piecing them together into something that would be unique to them all. A vastly more challenging and difficult endeavor.

Fortunately, that synth already exists in the form of Adam Szabo's Viper which is essentially an Access Virus C with some TI features like the hypersaw and many unique features like importing wavetables. It's not quite a "authentic" experience in the same way this project would entail, but there's the added benefit of being to do whatever you wanted like mix-and-matching features. Apples and Oranges :)

For me, it's exciting that we have both options: a modern "best of both worlds" Virus-type synth and an upcoming authentic line-up of Access Virus synths and many more as they were originally designed. As a certain McDonalds commercial once said: porque no los dos?

Hpwenzel wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 pm And we get a multimode virus a,b,c?
Are you talking about the 16 individual channels in one instance of the Virus, one for each MIDI channel?

Hpwenzel wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 pm And access music to notthing?
A sort of enigma, indeed...

Case 1 :
And [WE GET AN] access music [VIRUS] to notthing (FOR FREE) ?

Case 2 :
And access music [has] to notthing [TO OBJECT ABOUT THIS] ?

The main goal of this project is to provide a deep knowledge of the underlying 56k hardware and technology (and I find this aspect incredibly interesting).

Or, if your intention is just to produce a song, in this case the correct behaviour is to try the emulator with a specific rom, then buy the corresponding hardware from the manufacturer.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Thu May 06, 2021 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Amazing stuff! :tu: :party: Too sad that it seems there's no Nord Modular ROM :(

xhunaudio wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:04 amOr, if your intention is just to produce a song, in this case the correct behaviour is to try the emulator with a specific rom, then buy the corresponding hardware from the manufacturer.
yes, i agree - if those hardware devices are still produced and sold, that is. but what if not? which, i guess, applies to the majority of the available roms. yes, you may be able to find and buy a second hand one - but from the hardware manufacturer's business perspective, this doesn't seem to make any difference. they are not losing or gaining a sale either way, so maybe some are even ok with having their legacy preserved this way...unless maybe they want to sell their own emus at some point or have a direct successor in their current product line. (disclaimer: this should not be understood as advocating the use of these roms - just as random musing)
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Well, the majority of the devices are still "available" from the manufacturers, in the form of derivates having *a lot* in common with the 56k hardware based devices. And when I say *a lot*, I mean *A LOT*.

Do you like Access Music Virus B/C ? Buy Virus TI2.

The same for Ultranova, Nord Lead 5 and Waldorf's too.

Microkorg is still in production ( Guinness World Record, I think - from 19 years ! )

Important mention : people who buy digital hardware synths today are exclusively moved by the fact they are *hardware* indeed (and suited for "live" scenarios). It's not the "high-end music studio" case, where software and virtuality rule. But older radio and tv broadcasters - also for generic "live" events - still today may look for hardware gears because they are more easy to transport on truck containers, more easy to install, etc. It's definitely NOT an audio purist's viewpoint, but still today hardware synthesizers have their (niche) market share.

A bit off-topic, but just to say this emulator is not the "public enemy #1" of hardware manufacturers.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Fri May 07, 2021 4:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”