Vertigo Sound VSM-4 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Copying the official release announcement from another forum:
Greetings & Salutations to all,

We listened to what people were requesting and as a few people might of seen from the link on our site, here it finally is:

THE VERTIGO SOUND VSM-4.
MIX & MASTERING SATURATION TOOLBOX PLUGIN:

https://www.vertigosound.com/products/vsm-4-plugin
Intro Pricing €149.00
The intro price is already the discount for people who own the VSE-2 & VSC-3 plugins.

The valve distortion and saturation generators are based on the the W. Frank Custom Tube Desk circuitry from 1959 which we brought back to life with my former company HE Studiotechnik. The W. Frank custom console is packed with huge transformers, clever valve circuits and passive filters.
The plugin comes with all the useful features of the VSM-2 Mix Satellite plus some more new functionality for your Mix and Mastering needs of today.

FEATURES OF THE VSM-4 PLUGIN:
-Transformer Emulation with Autogain and Bass Lift
-Triode Emulation with Bias Control ( High/Low)
-Pentode Emulation with Type Selector ( Dense/Clear)
-Input Filter with Fixed Bands (VSM-2) and continuous Bandpass (Mode VSM-4 only) -MS functionality for Triode and Pentode Saturation
-MS and Distortion Solo for Triode and/or Pentode Stage -MS and LR Output Level Control
-Scaleable GUI

THE VSM-4 CONTROLS:

Input Level:

Start with the Input Knob in the 12 o’clock position. (Unity Gain) You can use the Input knob to trim the stereo level for all following stages.
The “Global System” Switch bypasses all stages of the VSM-4.
MS Solo:
The MS Solo switch allows you to monitor mid or side signal of the
output of the plugin. This can be especially useful when evaluating the coloration , spread and MS setup.
Output:
The Output section allows you to compensate your Gain and Stereo image .
Meter:
At a level of 0dBFS in the digital domain a readout of +22dBU will result at your DA converters.
Power:
Deactivates the VSM-4.
Drive:
Sets the Input level or threshold to “What” and “How much” is going into the Triode, Pentode or transformer stage. The Yellow / Red LED shows how much gain is used at the moment. If the LED is lighting red
the distortion effect will be quite drastic.
Level:
The Level pot is very important if you don’t work in Full or Track mode. With this level you can adjust a new level for the processed band similar to a multiband compressor. The left yellow LED shows the original level and the right LED the new level added.
Input Filter:
With the Input Filter you can define what frequency goes into the “valve“ generators. The “Track“ mode is designed to process individual instruments. In this Mode the THD Mix control is switched off. The Shape control is filtering the output of the distortion only. No frequencies of the original unprocessed signal are mixed in.
Mode:
Mode switches the Input filters from a fixed band functionality to a continuous bandpass filtering. This mode is especially useful for effects or for spotting certain defined frequency ranges.
Shape:
Shape is a Hi Cut filter that affects the higher harmonic content to prevent a harsh and gritty, or too “brilliant” result. The Filter cuts the Highs of the distortion band while filling in the unprocessed frequency content.
In Track input filter Mode no original frequencies are filled in.
THD Mix:
This is a dry/wet control where you can mix between the unprocessed signal and the output of the harmonic tube generators.
LR and M or S Selector:
This toggle switch defines if either LR, M or S is sent to the saturation/distortion stages.
Bias and Type:
Here you can define the attitude and style of the harmonic generator; you can adjust the sonic behaviour of the valve stage emulation.

ACTIVATION & LICENSES:
Please Download the VSM-4 Analog Operation Manual from our website for more details and hints how to use the VSM-4 properly.
https://www.vertigosound.com/support/downloads
Please use the Vertigo Licenser App which is included in the Plugin Installer to activate your trial or purchase.
We recommend to create an account on our website which helps a lot in case of support is required. Login with Username and Password and administrate all your plugins and computers with this tool.
You can also activate your trial or purchase with an Activation code. You can copy the activation code from
the website (trial) or it is sent to you with the invoice by mail (purchase). If you have had several accounts or there are minor changes done at your computer hardware use the Refresh button of the Licenser App to update your account data.

VSM-4 PLUGIN TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
AVAILABLE FOR:
MAC:
VST3 32 Bit & 64 BIt, AAX NATIVE, AU (V2) PC:
VST3 32 Bit & 64 Bit, AAX NATIVE 64 Bit
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS
MAC OS X 10.8 THROUGH 11 WINDOWS 7 THROUGH 10
Pro Tools 10.3.10 OR HIGHER OR ANY VST/VST3/AU-COMPATIBLE HOST RUNNING ON A SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM
MAC
INTEL CPU ONLY (MINIMUM 2 GHZ RECOMMENDED)
PC
INTEL-COMPATIBLE CPU WITH SSE2 INSTRUCTION SET (PENTIUM 4 COMPATIBLE OR HIGHER; MINIMUM 2 GHZ RECOMMENDED)
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
DISPLAY RESOLUTION: 1440 x 900px OR 1280 x 960px OR HIGHER

And as always don’t forget to click on the Vertigo symbol of the plugin

Happy Mixing

Vertigo Sound
VSM-4-1.jpg
VSM-4 Hidden options.jpg
I'm absolutely going to try it out and more than likely purchase it, we'll see. :ud: I wish the intro price for those who already own all of the plugins was better, but won't keep me from purchasing if the quality is there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wow, that's expensive!

Been many years since I've seen a 'Pentium 4' mentioned as minimum requirement !

Elton is going to love it!

Well the 3 sounds good

I really don't want to spend more money on plugins but damn.Downloading the demo now. If it doesn't kill my cpu I may have to consider before the price goes up.

I'm using VSM-3 very often, almost all the time - it's really nice plugin.
I really would like to buy it, but this it's a huge price for a plugin these days. Oh well, it's not made for poor bastards like me :)

I liked the v3 and never purchased it because of its price. Well, let’s see v4...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Yep, price set the way to effectively keep me off upgrading it. I'll stick with my v3.
Last edited by chris.r on Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeah no thanks...

There seems to be some misunderstanding - there is no V3 of this - there is just another quite different Mix Satellite - both as hardware and as a plugin emulation.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:44 am There seems to be some misunderstanding - there is no V3 of this - there is just another quite different Mix Satellite - both as hardware and as a plugin emulation.
Doesn't say it on their release announcement, but the website makes it quite clear:
"The new VSM-4 plugin is not a successor or update of the VSM-3 Mix Satellite. Sonically it stands for itself but it comes with all the useful features of the VSM-2 Mix Satellite plus some more new functionality for your Mix and Mastering needs of today.
Have only played with the trail a brief period, but I quite like it so far. Reminds more of Black Box HG-2MS than anything else, but has its own thing going on.

sl1200mk2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 pm
jens wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:44 am There seems to be some misunderstanding - there is no V3 of this - there is just another quite different Mix Satellite - both as hardware and as a plugin emulation.
Doesn't say it on their release announcement, but the website makes it quite clear:
"The new VSM-4 plugin is not a successor or update of the VSM-3 Mix Satellite. Sonically it stands for itself but it comes with all the useful features of the VSM-2 Mix Satellite plus some more new functionality for your Mix and Mastering needs of today.
Have only played with the trail a brief period, but I quite like it so far. Reminds more of Black Box HG-2MS than anything else, but has its own thing going on.
How does it compare to the HG2MS?

perpetual3 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:27 pm How does it compare to the HG2MS?
I struggle to describe these things and not use all of the overused hype words (3D, depth, mojo, etc) and also because we all hear things differently. First off, they're both great plugins... I could get excellent results with either and I wouldn't knock one or the other too much. It generally comes down to preference and for me one wouldn't entirely replace the other. It'll be track/source dependent as to which I'd pick first. I use these in a mastering context, so smaller amounts to add some character and emphasis while trying not to overdo it. I wouldn't take what I'd say in regards to using or creatively abusing either in a mix or sound design manner (haven't tried either that way).

HG-2MS is quicker to dial in a 'bigger' sound since just enabling it introduces a lot of processing, but it's also going to be easier to overdo it IMO when not using the filters. VSM-4 requires you to engage/enable everything as you go which I prefer, but I think that's important to mention since a lot of people just want to load a plugin and have it do something with little to no effort. VSM-4 is going to make you work at it more and that'll likely turn some off to it especially with no preset manager built into the plugin and no preconfigured starting points.

Even with the filters on HG-2MS, I'm initially finding I can target and emphasize what I want on VSM-4 easier, but that's probably more down to me -- it's not like HG-2MS is that hard to use or anything. I really like monitoring and solo'ing of VSM-4 as it is on the VSM-2/VSM-3 which is probably a big part of that. There's also more control overall with VSM-4 with each satellite. VSM-4 sounds smoother to me than HG-2MS? A bit less bottom heavy and initially less emphasized overall.

It's too early for me to get too in the weeds trying to compare each, but I definitely like VSM-4 and will wind up getting it. I really like the sound overall and control. That said, I think for most people HG-2MS is the better value of the two though (mono maker, width, etc) and they'll find it quicker and easier to use (has presets for starting points). VSM-4 will require more effort (no presets, have to dial in everything individually) and is much more expensive especially factoring in the notorious PA sales (HG-2MS will probably be $49-69 at the end of the year) and vouchers.

I told you c**ts about this ages ago viewtopic.php?f=6&t=564277

It sounds really good. Too much money tho. I need a deal on a 3 pack

Return to “Effects”