Smart EQ 3 is out !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:28 am looks more and more like Neutron :)
Neutron is way below this as for me. I gave it a review shot, it became quite a complete tutorial, I believe.

I love it and I can bet some serious money that in 2-3 years more and more technical/surgical mixing duties will be relying on machine learning, not human activities, though human ingredient still is gonna be the crucial one.

Greetz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra9cYTyNX_w

This should be called 'smarter EQ 3'
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Never in my life 30 days passed that fast... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
trial-expired.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I installed the plugin a couple of minutes ago, tried a few things, saved a preset, reloaded the preset, the preset reloaded 100% wrong, so I reloaded the plugin : BOOM, trial expired ! 30 days time travel in a few minutes ! Thanks Sonible, never experienced that before, Doc would be proud of you.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

If anyone is having trouble with it talking to other instances, I found out it requires network ability. It doesn't contact anything externally, it sends a broadcast message the other instances pick up. So if you have your DAW locally firewalled, carve out an exemption for it.

The automatic mixing is pretty mindblowing and as someone that's been using their tools since frei:raum, this is an exponential leap in capabilities. It's an arms race now.

Indeed. I demoed Neutron 3 when it came out, and found the AI system to be crap. I tried this out and it is amazing. I took a mix I've been working on that I was pleased with, and removed all plugins. I then spent 10 mins with Smart EQ 3 and got a better result very quickly. More importantly, I knew why I got that better result:

a) The song was a basic drums, bass, acoustic guitar plus electric guitar template. The template EQ on each track did a good job of removing harshness from the electrics in a precise way, and I did everything with dynamic EQ to increase the transparency. Lots of mud was removed here and there.

b) I set up a group for the electrics and acoustics to get clarity between those.

c) I set up a "buss group" with the drum buss, bass, guitar buss, vocal buss and other instruments buss. I put everything in the same layer except for vocals up front (I experimented a lot to get to that choice). This goes the extra mile and removes clashes between elements, which I can then dial up and down to taste. It doesn't go nuts though - nothing at this point sounded horrible.

I really like being able to "bypass all" and "bypass just the track-to-track EQ" separately, so I really get an idea of what each trick is doing. I can also do a one click check that my mix has improved with ease. Then I balance everything and get down to compression, saturation, reverbs and delays.

I had Smart EQ 2 already, but find Smart EQ 3 sounds better. I also had trackspacer, and the group feature is likely automatically getting trackspacer working on 6 tracks with a few clicks, instead of having to setup the sidechain routing. A huge timesaver if nothing else.

i almost want to try it now
Foliasound wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:14 am
Ploki wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:28 am looks more and more like Neutron :)
Neutron is way below this as for me. I gave it a review shot, it became quite a complete tutorial, I believe.

I love it and I can bet some serious money that in 2-3 years more and more technical/surgical mixing duties will be relying on machine learning, not human activities, though human ingredient still is gonna be the crucial one.

Greetz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra9cYTyNX_w
thanks, cool vid!
I agree on the notion about machine learning taking over

For me the human element is very much still there. Smart EQ 3 does a great job of setting up a mix (rough balancing and removing resonances/harshness/clashes), but then you have to work on the artistic elements of the mix (e.g. automation to enhance the arrangement, reverbs and delays, choosing the sonic landscape through other effects and saturation). Smart EQ 3 is just a massive time saver at the start of the process.

I’m excited to try the demo. I tried SmartEQ when it first came out and wasn’t really impressed but after watching some reviews this looks a big step forward. I have Neutron but have never got on with it. I have always liked the Spectral Collision in ProQ3 so hopefully I can use this on my busses 🤞

I have Proximity and Entropy already as freebies - is I bought this would it basically all add up to the same as getting their flagship frei:raum?

No, it is a little bit different. There are three oarallel smart Equalizer of the First generation.
So, if you use three smart:eq3 in parallel and entropy and proximity after those in series you are better armed probably. But you have cpu eating monster. But as you have all the modules you are more flexible. Frei:raum's Integration of the different modules is excellent. It's the mother of all of them.

Okay i didn't try the grouping and blah-blah, but i tried some smartEQ-ing and it imposes very similar curves as Voxengo Teote (or Gullfoss), except the two are more dynamic.
But enabling dynamic in SmartEQ hammers my CPU, while Teote plows through like a champ.

audiosabre wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:42 pm I'm liking it so far. New features are great & the upgrade price is fair. :tu:

First thing I'm bummed is that there are no brass/horn profiles and the universal isn't cutting it for brass. EQ2 had Trumpets, Trombone, etc. I thought the solution would be to export profiles from EQ2 and load them into EQ3, but they don't seem to be cross compatible:
SEQ3 err.png

I figure I'll have to try making some myself. Though I'd prefer some Brass profiles that were more thought out than I can likely achieve. Same of Strings and some other orchestral instruments.

If Sonible would like to give some tips or advice on creating useable profiles, I'd appreciate that. In fact, it would be nice to have an option or even utility where we could load a variety of audio in it, say a load of brass samples, & 'machine learn' an average profile from all the data. Just a thought.
Have you resolve this issue? this error happens to me to....if I try to create new profile from demo 3 version plugin throms same error, and on importing profiles from version 2.is it just demo limitation? or it is serious bug? my DAW is online....if you find workaround please tell me. thank you

mjw63 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:08 am For me the human element is very much still there. Smart EQ 3 does a great job of setting up a mix (rough balancing and removing resonances/harshness/clashes), but then you have to work on the artistic elements of the mix (e.g. automation to enhance the arrangement, reverbs and delays, choosing the sonic landscape through other effects and saturation). Smart EQ 3 is just a massive time saver at the start of the process.
Exactly! And this is going to be irreplacible - human artistry. Even if we learn machines to create things that sound/look like real masterpieces one day - they still won't be masterpieces for some, well, philosophical reasons ;) The human need to create things and share artistry with the others IS irreplacible. We can sleep weel, there will always be some manual EQ-ing to do out there :D And music might be one day advertised and sold with taglines like: "mixed by human!".

Joking, joking (for now, who knows in a couple of years?)...

Return to “Effects”