2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:40 am
pekbro wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:08 am In a small setup, multi-function modules are eminently useful. One of the fist modules I bought was the Subcon Voice Tail filter, it's 3 separate filters or a single and two pole, it's a mixer, it's a vca, it slices, it dices, it's super useful in other words.

And even in a fairly large system, it remains no less useful. Anyway, choose wisely young padawan.

Sage advice. I’m gonna have go deeper down the rabbit hole... it’s too easy to get caught up because so many of these modules look amazing.

Im trying to keep focus with just supplementing the desktops 0-coast, Strega and soon 0-Ctrl because they can be converted into a bigger system down the road.

Then you have modules like Morphagene and Mimeophone (and yes I finally watched a dedicated video :o ) that can do way more than you’d think (plus they could potentially replace my MOOD/Blooper combo) and this is where that focus becomes a bit blurry.

So far I haven’t even gotten into VCA, VCOs, Encelopes, LFOs, or sequencers, because I want to hit that limitation first. Besides I think Whyterabbit might be right about the computer as a better sequencer. The closest I have to anything that flexible right now is just the 0-coast and Strega. They’re full of Make Noise bits with lots of surprises.

Yeah. :wheee: I’d definitely be in bigger trouble if we had more space.
I would look seriously at the STO, I use it for tons of stuff and hardly ever use it directly as a VCO.
You can modulate with it, track and sync to it. It has a sine waveform, it sounds great is small
and relatively cheap. I need to get a few more of them actually. Of course there are alternatives
as well. But I like the STO.

elxsound wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:40 amSo far I haven’t even gotten into VCA, VCOs, Encelopes, LFOs, or sequencers, because I want to hit that limitation first. Besides I think Whyterabbit might be right about the computer as a better sequencer. The closest I have to anything that flexible right now is just the 0-coast and Strega. They’re full of Make Noise bits with lots of surprises.

There is always a creative way to make more space :hihi:

For sequencing, I always come back to the computer DAW. It is so fast and powerful and visual.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:26 am
Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 pmI have 'literally' been dreaming of programming, and things to do with the Maestro, since I first saw it. The way they laid out its UI, and ease of accessing/manipulating functions just blew me away. Could not be more thrilled. :love:
It is very easy to use... I was making complex envelopes right away after watching one video. Low learning curve for what it can do. Best hardware implementation of 'MSEG's' that I have seen.
Indeed!!! Finally having a play with it, and am shaking my head in wonderment, and grinning like an idiot. Running it into the 'Lifeforms Double Helix'. :love: :tu:

(aside) I've not seen any info on what the strip of pins (upper corner, near edge) are for, but they look suspiciously like expansion headers, perhaps for 'chaining' to another module. Will have to inquire.
pekbro wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 am I like the Acidrain stuff, but the small hp modules they have are a little too bendy (imo). I would like it if they put a little more meat in their panels. :shrug:

*To be fair, it's probably specific to the switchblade where they've drilled out most of the panel for the numerous jacks. A metal panel would have been the better choice here definitely. It's really pretty bendy, no joke. :neutral:
Good to know. Thanks for that. The switchblade, has been on my list for a while, but when ever I remember, they are out of stock. I'm currently awaiting notification on when the Navigator kits are back in stock, to pick-up a couple more. Really useful, easy build, and cheap (even pre-assembled). I haven't noticed a 'flexing' issue with them, but am not pushing down with any effort either.

Looking closer, (switchblade) the buttons definitely eat-up a lot of material, but the jacks, being connected to both the face-plate and circuit board, would create 'rigidity' not detract from it... curious. I noticed the little hex-head screw on the panel (lower right) which I'm assuming secures the panel to a stand-off connected to the circuit board for the very purpose of adding some structural integrity/stiffness.
Screenshot_2021-05-06 Switchblade.png
Can't find a side view or shot of the 'guts', to see if there is room for another one above the upper right LED, or if it proves an issue for 'me', I'll just make a 1-1.5mm sub-plate 'frame' out of brass or aluminum and glue it to the back of the face-plate. We'll see.
pdxindy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 pm I'm circumspect about standalone hardware sequencers these days. I always end up preferring the DAW for sequencing [...] Everything is visual with a big screen overview and it takes no brain power to have to remember lots of modes, button combos, what other tracks are doing, etc.
Agreed, and most if not all, can run on even my lowest spec, or older machines. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Not sure if it counts as 'gear' but I bought this as some food for an MT Magnetophon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

My finger is hovering over the checkout button on an M1 Mac Mini. Somebody tell me not to do it!

ghettosynth wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 am My finger is hovering over the checkout button on an M1 Mac Mini. Somebody tell me not to do it!
Don’t do it. Don’t hover when you can click.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:09 am Not sure if it counts as 'gear' but I bought this as some food for an MT Magnetophon
nice! how many of those do you have now?

pekbro wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:08 am In a small setup, multi-function modules are eminently useful. One of the fist modules I bought was the Subcon Voice Tail filter, it's 3 separate filters or a single and two pole, it's a mixer, it's a vca, it slices, it dices, it's super useful in other words.

And even in a fairly large system, it remains no less useful. Anyway, choose wisely young padawan.

the only problem i have with multi function is, you usually end up wanting at least two of the functions :hihi:

but yup, it's finding the balance between space and needs.
though the real magick happens when you do run out of a certain function, and have to find workarounds. that's when you are on uncharted roads and find the treasures!!! :ud:.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:09 am Not sure if it counts as 'gear' but I bought this as some food for an MT Magnetophon
Is this the DIY Magnetophon?

This looks like crazy fun.

pekbro wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 am
elxsound wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:40 am

Sage advice. I’m gonna have go deeper down the rabbit hole... it’s too easy to get caught up because so many of these modules look amazing.

Im trying to keep focus with just supplementing the desktops 0-coast, Strega and soon 0-Ctrl because they can be converted into a bigger system down the road.

Then you have modules like Morphagene and Mimeophone (and yes I finally watched a dedicated video :o ) that can do way more than you’d think (plus they could potentially replace my MOOD/Blooper combo) and this is where that focus becomes a bit blurry.

So far I haven’t even gotten into VCA, VCOs, Encelopes, LFOs, or sequencers, because I want to hit that limitation first. Besides I think Whyterabbit might be right about the computer as a better sequencer. The closest I have to anything that flexible right now is just the 0-coast and Strega. They’re full of Make Noise bits with lots of surprises.

I would look seriously at the STO, I use it for tons of stuff and hardly ever use it directly as a VCO.
You can modulate with it, track and sync to it. It has a sine waveform, it sounds great is small
and relatively cheap. I need to get a few more of them actually. Of course there are alternatives
as well. But I like the STO.
Thank goodness for ModularGrid... This is going to call for a much bigger rack.

vurt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:50 pm
That's the first tape. 45 pence.

I bought another 4 on vinyl off ebay this week, including the Dr Who and 'Out of this World' ones
so its about 25-30 of them now.

elxsound wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Yup, the DIY one. Of course Ive not actually got around to building it yet, but its an easy one. If I can work out where I can fit my soldering iron (covid WFH laptop and crap kinda takes up its old space) I might do it this weekend.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 am My finger is hovering over the checkout button on an M1 Mac Mini. Somebody tell me not to do it!
Only reason I'd tell you not to do it would be to wait and see if we get M2 Minis in the next few months.
Image Image Image Image

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:18 pm
vurt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:50 pm
That's the first tape. 45 pence.

I bought another 4 on vinyl off ebay this week, including the Dr Who and 'Out of this World' ones
so its about 25-30 of them now.
that's a pretty cool collection of sounds though!
i have the first doctor who one on cd, some cool stuff on that alone!
other than that only have a few radiophonic music albums, all the weird little clock things for children's tv and those bits as well as themes.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:22 pm
elxsound wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Yup, the DIY one. Of course Ive not actually got around to building it yet, but its an easy one. If I can work out where I can fit my soldering iron (covid WFH laptop and crap kinda takes up its old space) I might do it this weekend.
Nice... I just ordered one. I still have to replace the battery on the SP12. It's simple too, but I haven't touched the soldering iron in maybe 6 years?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”