Refactor (ElectroProg - Seismic Re-Animation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:55 pm Of course, I always want more layers / melody blah. blah, blah in just about everything I listen to...apart from maybe Vurt's stuff...it would ruin them totally! :)
just give me more outputs and modules on the beast (still needs a name :o ) and ill give you layers and melody :ud:
well, layers.

as far as im concerned, melody is a girl i went to school with.

mindstuff wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:33 pm Expressive. Those dark thumping plucks are luscious. Imagine a slow kick snare combination underlying that.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it :)

That synth (Arturia ModularV2) is my fallback position when I'm having a Tangerine moment.

That's an interesting comment regarding percussion. If I ever get around to remixing this, I may try it out.

seismic1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 am
To cut a long story short, enthusiasm was restored, the track slowly took shape and the world seems a better place (from my perspective).
Great to see
and hear. :)

Revisiting old unfinished pieces is a full spectrum experience for me, i find gems, i find potential gems, and i often find wthwis? (what the heck was i smoking?) things.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

markkuja wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:19 pm Nice synth music… pleasant sounds and ambiance.
Thanks very much for the listen and the comment, markkuja. Glad you liked it :)

Commented over at the ambient forum. There’s a lot to love with this. Great sounds. So many different moods. This is a real journey.

layzer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:20 am hey Tim, good to hear you back in the saddle. i love the chill vibe as it transforms into a faster
tempo with the bass, blips and lush pad washes. Really enjoyed the sound set, mix and smooth composition flow of it. super cool work :tu:
Hi, layzer. Thanks very much for listening to this and commenting. Although it was 20 minutes long, it wasn't too difficult to put together once I got myself back into the right frame of mind.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it :)

lots of strong drinks over the past while, so check! the build to the seq was comfortable, then the added elements to the seq over time was nice. that screaming kind of sound was really cool. early tangerine was on my mind. when I've gone back to an older piece I find it more interesting just because I would've missed an idea or sound that I now have for it. you've got me scanning my drive now, lol.
good to hear things are slowly but surely moving forward

Frantz wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:49 pm Spacey sounds slowly building to classic TD sequencing. Great sound design with a perfect mix. Excellent use of occasional distortion which gives an edge to certain sounds.
The distortions came from a Dune2 patch whose Filter and Amplitude envelope I adjusted, and from automating the modwheel on a couple of the ModularV2 arps.
Frantz wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:49 pm The only minor complaint -- the pacing is a bit leisurely for my tastes.
I'm not getting any younger :wink:
Frantz wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:49 pm Nice work, sir!
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen, Frantz. Your comments are much appreciated. Glad you liked it :)

Commented 'elsewhere' but thought it worth an extra push here too :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

vurt wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:19 pm nice slow build up 8)
that huge throb sound :o :love:
as well as the td stuff, you can hear some of the ozrics more mellow moments through this intro :tu:
well, i suppose they are also influenced by a lot of the same 70s stuff.

ooh nice build to that change.
lovely bass sound too, simple, but clean and clear.
melody line is also crisp and clear, very open mix, even with the pads and a few synths, still plenty of space, no mud. great work indeed!!

love the way all the different parts flow in and out, without it ever being jarring, like travelling on a bus through country roads :)
thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish! :tu:
I saw TD 7 times from '76 until '86. I preferred the earlier concerts. The later gigs gained some precision and clarity at the expense of their earlier energy. I never saw the Ozrics, but I have a lot of their albums. My favourite period was from 1994 to 2000, when their writing and arrangement seemed to be at its most evolved, and "Seaweed" was in the band.

This track was not difficult to mix, as there are only 11 separate instrument tracks, and they're not all firing at the same time, so making space for them in the mix wasn't a major problem. All of the synth sounds are presets, but I had to make a few modifications to the patches used during the intro.

I loved the bus journey analogy :D

Thanks very much for listening, and for the detailed comments, vurt. Glad you liked it :)

ok second time listening, and it's quite a trip. It is not my favourite of you, but it is a pretty great like always from you

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:55 pm Had a first listen yesterday evening...here we go again.....

Strong little motif to start it all...instantly hooked!

Love the little variations on that raw theme as well in the first few bars.
I wrote the intro (March 2021) after I had the first few minutes of the sequenced arps arranged and abandoned (August 2019)
ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:55 pm
Great 3D depth to what I'm gonna call the 'raindrops' - headphones...wow!
Aha. You have spotted REFLEXplus. It's one of those FX that I don't use nearly enough, but when I do use it, it never fails to disappoint. It's on the percussion later too.
ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:55 pm
Those BIG low BRAAAMS - the little bit of extra opening of the filter each time.

And then that mysterious ethereal pad wrapped around it all!

Fantastic first section!

Just gonna listen now and shut up for 17 mins....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Epic Ambient Slowburner!!!
Very well judged, especially the combination of sounds in there once again. The mix is excellent both on speakers and in headphones...width, depth, warmth and clarity.

Just wanted two things....maybe...maybe not...

The return of the 'raindrops' at the end.

A big soaring high lead over the middle section where there is more bass energy / movement.

Of course, I always want more layers / melody blah. blah, blah in just about everything I listen to...apart from maybe Vurt's stuff...it would ruin them totally! :)
Interesting comments about the raindrops and the lead synth. I think the raindrops may be a good idea. A lead synth might work. I deliberately held off from over-embellishing this track, but when I've had a few months to let the dust settle, it's quite possible that I may decide to go ahead with that. I'm working on a few remixes from 2010 and 2013 at the moment. I invariably refer back to the comments here at KVR during these remixes, so don't be surprised if it does happen eventually.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen, and for your most helpful comments, Mark :tu:

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Jesse Gorter wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 pm long time since I heard a seismic1 track, you still got it.
But i am still halftime in, gotta listen to this multiple times to get it fully. What is the story behind it?
Hi Jesse. I wrote this as a sequel to Refraktor, hence the name of the new piece. Refactoring is a practice used in the world of computing for restructuring code or database design without altering external behaviour.

I wanted to "modernise" the sound of the original track whilst using many components from the original. No 'trons were used on this piece in an effort to update the sound.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment. I hope you enjoyed it :)

htcnext2 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:54 pm As stated before. An interesting listen in terms of evolvement and variety in sound. Slowburner my be the proper description. Good work!
Thanks very much for listening and for the comments, htcnext2. Glad you liked it :)

CrystalWizard wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:52 am
seismic1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 am
To cut a long story short, enthusiasm was restored, the track slowly took shape and the world seems a better place (from my perspective).
Great to see
and hear. :)

Revisiting old unfinished pieces is a full spectrum experience for me, i find gems, i find potential gems, and i often find wthwis? (what the heck was i smoking?) things.
I know how that goes. I went through one of my WIP folders a month ago, and out of fifty-odd pieces, I found only three or four that held any appeal at all. I should be able to restart work on those without too much trouble. I fear that reviving my interest in the other 45 will take a considerable amount of willpower and effort.

In the words of Clive Barker - "Some things have to be endured".

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, CW. Glad you like it :)

Return to “Music Cafe”